L# Help, Please New with a fish tank
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeHelp, Please New with a fish tank
Fishytwins
Small Fry
Kudos: 3
Votes: 0
female
Hi, I just set up our new 29 gallon fresh water tank last about a week ago, I filled it, started the filter up also added the conditioner. and heater for a few days and this past Thursday. we got 3 Tiger barbs, 3 platys and one of those suckers to clean the bottom, tested the ph it was about 7.6. fish seemed to be doing good. But one of the platys was not eating.
Tonight we got sword tail, bala shark (2)..

Well just a few minutes ago the sword tail passed away already, I am thinking he was not good when we got him cause the ride home he was just looking. and one of the platys died too.

What do i need to do? I have the aquaclear 300.

How often do I change water? how many times a day do I feed? ( the Tropical food says 2-3 times a pinch.)
Sorry Never had a fish tanks and need some help My twins love it and I am finding it to be relaxing but I want to keep my fish alive! thanks for your help
Post InfoPosted 05-Oct-2009 01:21Profile PM Edit Report 
Delenn
Hobbyist
Kudos: 63
Votes: 10
female usa
EditedEdited 05-Oct-2009 02:15
Sounds like you made the same mistake I made (see: My 37 gallon Aquarium thread for details).

You need to cycle your tank for at LEAST 6 weeks BEFORE adding any new fish or they will all die. Your tank is not properly set up yet to handle successfully any fish.

You said your PH is at 7.6.

What are your Ammonia and Nitrite levels? They need to be at 0 for you to be able to start adding fish. Also, what are your Nitrate levels (assuming there are any yet)?

Others here are going to start directing you to other areas of this site for you to read up on what you need to have a successful fish tank, so be prepared to do a lot of reading and learning.

I learned a lot (and am still learning) thanks to everyone here. I've had my tank for 7 - 8 weeks now, and I'm STILL cycling mine. My ammonia is down to 0, but my nitrates are still at 1.00 and until they drop to 0 I can't add any new fish.

The fish you bought were probably healthy, but you have just killed them by adding them to an uncyled tank. I was a little luckier. Mine were legitimately sick with ich and fin and tail rot, but would have most likely died anyway because I did what you have done.

Good luck!

Btw, your tank is WAY TOO small for Bala Sharks. They will get HUGE and should be in a 55 gallon tank MINIMUM. Also, Tiger Barbs are mean and you need to take care what kind of fish you add as tank mates with them because they will terrorize/harrass many of the more peaceful fish you put in with them. You should look at the Profiles section to see what kind of fish would best be suited for your size tank. I found that section to be invaluable!
Post InfoPosted 05-Oct-2009 01:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Fishytwins
Small Fry
female
hmm, thanks, Mr. Pet Store ( lol) said we can put those fish together, The platy was one of the first fish we started with He did not really eat all week just hung out around by the log. The One I added today the sword Tail Looked sick on the hour ride home, the guy took him out of the tank I noticed 2 floaters in there but a different kind of fish. and the first one He took out for me jumped to his death.
They also did not say anything About the bala's
They told me what one I can Put together,
Oh and the tiger barbs Boy I names them the three stoodges, the race around the tank.
What is cycling, I was just told To run the tank for a few days.
Post InfoPosted 05-Oct-2009 02:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Delenn
Hobbyist
Kudos: 63
Votes: 10
female usa
EditedEdited 05-Oct-2009 02:50
As I learned the hard way, you have to be very careful when listening to what the pet stores tell you. As many here will tell you, unless you find a very reputable store (I finally found one. They ONLY deal in fish and it was the manager of a pet store I frequent that sent me to this place) most times the sales people in pet stores don't know squat about fish. They are out to make money and will tell you what you want to hear in order to make the sale.

NEVER buy fish from a tank where you see other fish in them that are dead. You are sure to get sick fish from it. Doesn't matter if it's a different species of fish or not. One dead fish means something may be wrong with the tank. Also, don't buy fish that have torn fins. This means they are stressed and may be carrying something that can affect your tank.

Read http://fishprofiles.com/faq/begin-cycling.php to learn about cycling. ALL tanks need to do this before you add fish to the tank.

I'm sure you'll be hearing from others here soon. Listen to them. They know their stuff!

While your cycling your tank for the next 6 weeks at least, take a look at this section http://fishprofiles.com/profiles. You'll learn a lot about different fish types. And don't be afraid to ask questions about different fish you are intersted in and aren't quite sure will work in your tank. I had a lot of things cleared up that way (such as the black ghost knife fish I wanted that everyone screamed NO!!!!!!!! on because my tank is too small, lol) and finally came up with a list of fish that I'm 99% sure will work (there's only one fish I am not sure will work, so I'm waiting for someone here to tell me for sure in my thread).

And when you finally are at the point where you can add fish, make sure that you float them in the tank first for at least a half hour and net them to add them to the tank. Do not add the pet/fish store's water to your tank!

Good luck Fishytwins!
Post InfoPosted 05-Oct-2009 02:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Fishytwins
Small Fry
female
thanks
Post InfoPosted 05-Oct-2009 03:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Read the cycling thread, it's why your fish died.

Also, when bringing fish home from the store it's always best to put the plastic bag in a box or even better styro container and keep them covered. Not only will this help keep their temperature more consistent, but it will also be dark, and dark means less stress on the fish. Fish also don't like sudden or loud noises so it's best to keep the radio down for that trip. Additionally it's always a good plan to watch the tank carefully before buying anything from it. If anyone in the tank looks sick or ill or is behaving oddly it's best to not buy from that tank that day.

As has been stated, bala sharks are a massive NO NO in that tank

Bala sharks get to be 1 foot long

here are two that we have that are about 10", the tank is 5 feet long to give you an idea.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 05-Oct-2009 04:47Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Please do not take this wrong, it looks like you have fallen right into practically every beginners trap.
At a guess Mr Pet Store saw you coming a mile away and just told you nothing except how much to pay.

Hi, I just set up our new 29 gallon fresh water tank last about a week ago, I filled it, started the filter up also added the conditioner. and heater for a few days

By now I would not be surprised if all the fish were dead or not very happy and "could" be slowly dying. The reason being Cycling as you now know. This is a separate subject and there is a lot of info here on FP.

and this past Thursday. we got 3 Tiger barbs, 3 platys and one of those suckers to clean the bottom, tested the ph it was about 7.6. fish seemed to be doing good. But one of the platys was not eating.
Tonight we got sword tail, bala shark (2)

That is not a large tank at all even it it was a fully established tank. There is selecting only fish that are suitable for that tank and are compatible with each other. As Babel pointed out about transportation, then there is how to introduce the fish correctly.
The Bala also pointed out is way to small I have only one left in my 5ft tank and I consider that too small for such a large fish as he is now. "One of those suckers" There are several that fall into that catagory and several would not be suitable for your tank at all. More details on that one please (that is if it is still alive)

Well just a few minutes ago the sword tail passed away already, I am thinking he was not good when we got him cause the ride home he was just looking. and one of the platys died too.

Fish only die so soon if there are problems and in your case it is the tank (not cycled) They could be sick before you bought them, not introduced into the tank correctly.

What do i need to do? I have the aquaclear 300.

I do not know that filter and I cannot comment on it all.

How often do I change water?

I personally would do a 30% water change weekly and clean the filter with the old tank water at the same time. Again there is plenty of info here as well.

how many times a day do I feed? ( the Tropical food says 2-3 times a pinch.)

Miles too much. Another reason for fish dying water polluted. How big is a "pinch". I only use measuring spoons. The 5ft tank 1/2 tea spoon only once a day. The 45 lt 1/8 teaspoon once a day.
Fish will die faster with over feeding than just enough to survive on

Sorry Never had a fish tanks and need some help My twins love it and I am finding it to be relaxing but I want to keep my fish alive! thanks for your help

Going back to Mr Pet Store he saw that as well.

The very first thing I would do would be locate a privately owned good LFS in your area. To do that let us know the general area where you live to start off with and some one just might live in the same area and can recommend where to go and certainly where not to go.

To get the cycling going I would buy a product called Seachem Stability and use it as per instructions. I have had to use this previously it is expensive but the best.
For the first dose ONLY I would double up it will not hurt at all.
Try to get a floating plant called Indian Fern or Floating Water Sprite same plant just different names.
This will help to get the good bacteria going in your tank.

Take the Balas back, get the correct name for those suckers then tell us what they are.

Do a lot of research before you even think of doing any thing to the tank other that trying to save the fish you already have.

Next ask as many questions as you want to and please remember there is no such thing as a silly question. We all had to learn just that there are a few of us who have been keeping fish for a very long time.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 05-Oct-2009 07:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
1st_signer

Hobbyist
Kudos: 49
Votes: 1
male usa us-california
yup Delene and Babelfish are right (i got a good scholding from Babelfish one to not that long ago and compatability and fish size) so this kida relates to that so just try and keep the fish alive and let the tank cycle not much else to do and Bala sharks grow huge like 17 inches is the bigest ive seen in my uncles tanks thery cool but huge and for that reason you cant have many unless your tank is big enough and yes try and have lots of fun fish are a good stress as i student they help me alot and try going to a good pet store like Babelfish said theres usualy alwas 1 honest place and try to learn as much as you can about the fish you want befor you buy them thats another mistake some people make ive done that my share of times to

>>>>>>a learning experience as an aquarist can be fun but you must be ready to take and obey advice and criticism but most of all be patient<<<<<<<
Post InfoPosted 10-Oct-2009 05:41Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies