Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeNew 29 Gal tank, info & advice on fish selection, please
reneb
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 1
Votes: 1
Hello everyone,

This is my first post here. I'm glad to have found this site as I've already learned much from reading some of the threads. I was hoping I could get some suggestions from you all regarding stocking my new tank.
First off, I have upgraded from the 10 gal tank that came home about a month ago to a 29 gallon tank. I purchased the tank, filter (aquaclear 50), heater (stealth 55 watts), and polished stone gravel a couple of weeks back. I set it up and used some gravel from the old 10 gal tank and also let the new filter sponge in the original tank for a few days before installing it in the new 29 gal to help start the bacteria colonies. While I was at it, I also added Stress Zyme to the filter sponge as it sat for a couple of hours in the aquaclear housing while I set up the tank.

After I got all set up (some live and a few fake plants, rocks, etc.) I turned on heat (set to 82 F) and filter (low) and two airstones to help make sure there was plenty of oxygen for the bacteria.

Next I started a fishless cycling process using ammonia. I've been monitoring the numbers and things look like they are coming along. It seems amazing but I believe that 'seeding' the new tank with the gravel as well as perhaps the Stress Zyme and combo of temperature and water aeration and circulation (I had the airstones on full blast) really gave me a jump on the cycle. I now see that Ammonia is near zero (after going up) and nitrite is rising; I set it all up this past Saturday.

My next step is deciding on fish to add to the tank. Don't worry, I will wait a while, but I want to start planning. When the cycle is done I'll move the original fish to the new, 29 gallon tank. I really like the Corys we have (Corydoras trilineatus, 2 of them) and the one Cardinal, one neon tetra, and 4 Black Neon tetras. I would love to hear some advice and suggestions as to who I should add, and in what order.

I've been thinking that I should add about 5-6 Cardinal tetras and maybe 2 or so Black Neons. I was also thinking that I'd leave the one neon tetra and not add more of these as I prefer the Cardinals and the neon hangs out with the one Cardinal and Black Neons we already have. Do you folks think that if I got a few more Cardinals that would be ok for the neon?

I also would like to add a Cory or two. Would you recommend one more of the same species I already have or adding two of another species?

Besides making the Cardinals, Black Neon, and Corys happy by getting them some friends, what else should I add? I'm open to suggestions.

From my looking around on here and on the web, I think I'd like to build a nice community tank that is also biologically and ecologically realistic. That is, I'd prefer, though it's not something that is non-negotiable, to keep fishes from a given ecotype or region rather than mixing Asian, and American fish. Does that make sense?

I have a list of possibles that I've compiled, but I'll save that for another post. That way this one isn't too long, and I won't bias your advice with my 'preconceived' notions.

My water is well water and there is no chlorine here. pH is about 7.5 and the water has a KH of 120 and general hardness is 100.

Well, this is probably a long enough post already ...

Thanks in advance for your time and patience!

Rene
Post InfoPosted 01-Sep-2007 18:30Profile PM Edit Report 
viciouschiapet
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 77
Votes: 15
female usa
Hi Reneb! Congrats on your new tank and moving up from a 10g. Your fish will be so happy! The general advice people will give you here is to fill out your schools before adding other species. Getting more of the same corys would make them happier, I think, and probably more natural since that is what you're going for. I'll let others go into this more in depth for you since I've never even kept neons or cardinals! Welcome to FP though!

The pottery that growls!
Post InfoPosted 01-Sep-2007 19:42Profile Homepage AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Looks like you are doing it OK especially the research many do not do this and wonder why when someting goes wrong they are told they are over loaded and the LFS said it woulde be OK.

Certainly increase the Cories, the Cardinal Tetras do well in a large school and they are very hardy. When you introduce the fish to the new rank do it slowly and a few at a time over several weeks.

Even though you have well water it can still have problems but as long as you are aware of this and test the water often there should be no problem.

As for the plants live is far better for the fish and the tank.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 02-Sep-2007 05:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fishmonster
----------
Big Fish
Oh My Heck!
Kudos: 88
Votes: 73
male usa
I Agree with keith

Fill out the cories to about 7 or so and then the same with the black neons and the Cardinals. I believe the neon will be fine with the cardinals.

Once you fill out these shoals you will pretty much have a fully stocked tank.

7 Cories
7 black Neons
7 Cardinals

that will bring it up to 21. Add these slowly and you will be fine. Once you add real plants and they get established, you will be able to edge closer to adding more fins but you wont want to go more than 29 in total IMHO.

Thanks for your input as always, Shane
http://thetanklog.blogspot.com/ - [ Thanks to ScottF ]
http://www.natureaquariumclubofutah.com/main.html
Post InfoPosted 03-Sep-2007 02:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
agent_orange
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 77
Votes: 31
male usa
The previous stocking seems to be about right. In my 29 gallon I have 5 corys, a couple ghost shrimp, about 5 adult guppies and somewhere around 10 larger sized fry. The tankmates stay pretty active and provide a lot of movement. The bottom will be pretty full with the school of corys. You may be able to get away with a single slightly larger fish such as a dwarf gourami, which would make the tetras school tighter. But with two tetra schools and the corys there may not be room for the slightly larger fish. I would run that by the more experienced fishkeepers though, including the ones that have posted before me. There are a lot of factors that come into play when deciding the stocking limits, and I have yet to figure them all out.

What does that mean, Bob? "Till the cows come home." Where have the cows been?
Post InfoPosted 03-Sep-2007 07:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
reneb
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 1
Votes: 1
Hi everyone,

thanks for the info and advice!

I do have real plants (ca. 4 diff. species who don't require high light levels) as well as a couple of fakes.

I really like the rainbow tetras, so I'll probably make for a total of 7 of them. The Black Neons I may go also go up to 7 as suggested, but perhaps I'll leave them at 4 for a bit. I just added another Cory and they (3 now) do deem happier, so I'll probably add a couple to three more. Perhaps I might add one S.A. dwarf chiclid (small as possible, maybe Apistogramma agassizii) and an otto or two. From what I have read, it seems the otto is the most 'delicate' of these spp. so it should go last.

what do you folks think?

all the best,
Rene
Post InfoPosted 04-Sep-2007 04:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Ottos are so cute but my experiences with them has been similar to many peoples, adding them too early and they're in the happy fishtank in the sky.

They like lots of hiding places so the plants will make them happy be they fake or real. They also enjoy a slightly cooler temp and good oxygenation. I'd suggest waiting till the very end to add them, and only consider them if they're really needed.

Honestly, as much as I love the little guys, I'd rather see cory schools full than a few ottos added.

And on researching before hand!

^_^

Post InfoPosted 04-Sep-2007 07:27Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
divertran
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 469
Votes: 165
male usa
I agree with just about everyone. I'd add more cories and cards, I like them. Ottos, hmm. Many people do make a mistake intrtoducing them too early, I think. IMO they will do well in a well established tank given a long, long aclimatization period. They tend to be a bit sensitive when introduced and many perish due to rushing that process. Patience will be rewarded there, but like Babel said, bump up the cories. Adding just a couple otos, you may never even see them. I thought mine were all goners because They rarely came out, but when I take the caves out for cleaning they just seem to appear. Also, IME tetras like to school at least 7 or 8 strong. Mine never came out with only 6 or 7, but with 9 of them they feel much more secure and do seem to be much, much happier.
BTW welcome to FP and hooray to your decision to do your homework, seed your tank and the cycle and learn what you can. Best of luck with your new tank!
Post InfoPosted 05-Sep-2007 06:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
Kudos: 330
Votes: 355
male usa
I agree, 6-7 cories would be best... I added 4 otos to a month and a half old tank full of Tiger Barbs, some live some fake plants, 20 gallon, cycled, clean, etc. That was about a month ago, I still have 9 Tiger Barbs, the same plants and 4 otos. I let them acclimate slowly in their bag they came home in. I'd say they were in that bag for a good 90 mins, adding some tank water a little at a time. I never see them feeding on flakes, algae wafers, bloodworms or plankton but they have some tank alage to munch and they seem to be doing great.
Post InfoPosted 08-Sep-2007 04:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Scott, you may be lucky with your ottos, however something I realize I forgot to mention was that ottos are known for dieing and more specifically for delayed deaths. Most fish that die due to the shock of movement die in the first week or two that they are in our care, sometimes as soon as hours or days. Ottos will be fine sometimes up to a few months in then suddenly perish for no other reasons. I believe I had mine for close to 3 months before their deaths.

A slow transfer, lots of hiding places, algae wafers, they all help...but still, hold your breath for 6 months... Oh you can sneak a breath in here and there as you need it .

^_^

Post InfoPosted 08-Sep-2007 14:10Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
RickyM
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 101
Votes: 62
male canada
That was exactly my experience. I read all about ottos are difficult to acclimate and how fragile they are. Yet, I got three in my matured 32G which was moderately planted, with quite a bit of algae. They all seemed to be doing fine in the first 4-5 weeks. Just when I thought that they are established there and started to have a warm and fussy feeling about my success.. they disappeared one by one in another few weeks ..

But I'm not going to throw in the towel just yet. I'll try again once my 15G is ready (with plants and properly "aged" )
Post InfoPosted 08-Sep-2007 17:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies