L# Getting Started
  L# New 38 gallon - filter help
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeNew 38 gallon - filter help
SPG
Small Fry
Kudos: 6
Votes: 0
Planning for a new 38 gallon aquarium for the family. Still a newbie in the fish world, so need all the help I can get. I want to make sure I do it right for better family enjoyment. I was going to get two aquaclear 30s. Do you think this is sufficient? I have never used a canister and don't know anything about them - I am not a very mechanical person - so if it isn't simply to use, then not a good option for me. Would appreciate your thoughts.
Post InfoPosted 09-Feb-2015 19:28Profile PM Edit Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi, and welcome to Fish Profiles!
The "30" is probably the lowest "size" filter that I would put on your tank. I would probably use the next size larger. They are a good, quality filter, and they run with minimum maintenance. You must clean it on a regular basis. Turn off the filter, and remove it from the back of the tank. Pour any remaining water out into the sink and then, under running water rinse off the sponge, squeezing it under the running water. It comes with granulated carbon. To me, there are two times to use the carbon. The first is with a brand new tank as it will remove some of the toxins that occur in a newly cycling tank. The second is after medicating a tank for some disease or parasite. When you medicate the tank and the period of medication is over, then the tank should be partially drained (about 50%) to dilute the medication, and then the carbon inserted in the filter to remove the remaining medication. Be sure that impeller (pump) is free of any debris ( you can use a Q'Tip for that) and an old toothbrush will remove any algae or other debris in the filter box.

I suggest the larger size as I've no idea how many, or what types of fish your children will want in the tank. Do not over crowd, and do not over feed. A fish's stomach is the size of its eye. A couple of small feedings/day is better than one large one.

While you are visiting the site, please, visit the FAQ section and read the information on "Cycling" the tank. As the fish eat, they eliminate waste products, both solid and liquid. These waste products build up until specialized bacteria colonies develop to feed on the waste. They change the waste to nitrate, and that is removed from the water through live plants, vacuuming the gravel, and weekly water changes of 30-50% (normally).

Have fun!

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 10-Feb-2015 00:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
SPG
Small Fry
Thank you Frank! To clarify, I was going to put 2 - 30 filters on my tank - one at each end. Would you suggest I go up a size for both?
Post InfoPosted 10-Feb-2015 17:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
No, I'd go with one, hanging on the back, at the extreme left or right side of the tank. Two 30's might be overkill and the fish could be fighting the return currents with no place to rest out of the way of the currents.

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 11-Feb-2015 06:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Totally agree with Frank on this one, don't worry about a canister, they're more trouble than you need for a 38.

And I'd go with an AC 50 at least. Hang on filters are usually the easiest to maintain as there's no risk of draining the tank onto your living room floor like you'll get with canisters (true story).

And just like Frank mentioned the Cycling link will be very useful to understand.

Have you considered what fish you'd like to stock?

^_^

Post InfoPosted 11-Feb-2015 23:00Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
SPG
Small Fry
I am thinking about:

Bolivian Rams
Bristlenose Pleco
Cardinal Tetra
Maybe something else?
Post InfoPosted 13-Feb-2015 22:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies