SubscribeNew Tank, New fish........A whole new ballpark....Need Help
Purpleosiris
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 8
Votes: 2
female canada
EditedEdited by purpleosiris
First off I would like to say I am new to this site and I love it!!!!

Second I just yesterday got a new 80 gallon tank, problem is it came fully stocked and well.....I am not good with knowing if its to much or to little. So here is what I have:

1 Large apple snail
3 Dwarf goramies (sp?)
1 glass catfish
4 Spotted corys
5 Bleeding heart tetras
5 Black skirt tetras
4 Peppered corys
4 Speckled corys
6 Albino corys
4 Bronze corys
1 Bristle nose pleco
1 Rubber nose pleco
1 Regular pleco (baby about 3 inches)
1 Ballon molly
5 Orange neons
3 Zebra danios
3 Tux wags
About 15 endlers
5 ghost shrimp

Now forgive me if I have used the wrong name for a fish (corys) but these are all new to me.

My tank is an 80 gallon like stated, with a penguin 400 filter and airation.

To anyone who gladly helps I thank you...
Purple Osiris

EDIT: I do have other tanks as well in case this is over stocked. =)
Post InfoPosted 21-Jun-2006 01:10Profile PM Edit Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
You mentioned it came fully stocked, was this a rescue from a friend?
Could you provide us with some water quality numbers? Ammonia, nitrIte and NitrAte would be really helpful. I worry that with the move you may experience a minicycle if the tank was already cycled. If it wasn't cycled you're in for a tough time .

Most everything has a good enough common name, the only ones of concern are the speckled and spotted corys. While it's likely they're the usual LFS corys some have more specific requirements than others. Have a look through the profiles section to see if you can find exactly which cory it is. Additionally if you have a photo posted online somewhere that you can link to (only premium members can post pics directly ) that would help as well.

How many GPH does a penguine 400 do? Any live plants?

Welcome to the FP family Hope you like your stay .

^_^

Post InfoPosted 21-Jun-2006 01:54Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Purpleosiris
-----
Small Fry
female canada
Agassiz's Corydoras and Corydoras julii, it looks like some are almost leopard corys but they have more pattern and a bolder black tip then I came across the pic of the Corydoras julii thats it for sure!!

As for my filter it runs 400 GPH here is a link to it http://www.wetpetsusa.com/marfilem400.html

I have a spare 29 gallon filter as well not on the tank, but can be put in.

For the cycle part, we had huge 15 gallon storage buckets in the back of the truck lol I think we got about 95% of the water,besides what spilled. It would be much better for me to bring all there water here to clean and monitor it myself then have them dump all the water out fully (so yes it was a rescue lol) A elderly lady wanted it out of her house I offered 50$ and she took it!!! I am letting them sit for two days in there old water to get used to new setup then i will start water changes, the water isnt THAT bad.

Water testing kit will be bought tomarrow Will post results.

No live plants either but plan to get some in near future

Thanks for your fast reply,
Purple Osiris
Post InfoPosted 21-Jun-2006 04:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GirlieGirl8519
----------
Fish Master
*Malawi Planter*
Kudos: 1029
Votes: 35
female usa
For an 80g tank, the stocking looks alright to me. I'm not real good at judging stocking on larger tanks though. The only problem I see is that glass cats like groups, so I'd pick up a few more in the future. The danios would probably like a few more also...usually schools of 6 or more are recommended...but 4 or 5 is ok.

Post the water results, when you get a test kit.

You got a great deal there...$50. Too bad you can't choose the stock though. It looks like you got some cool fish. I love cories./:'

*Kristin*
Post InfoPosted 21-Jun-2006 05:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Most of the good bacteria to keep the tank working corectly would be in the substrate and the filter rather than in the water. To control any chance of a mini cycle I would get some Bio Starter(cycle) or any similar good product. Use it as directed also some stress coat eg Melafix, if any of the fish have any signs of damage (previous owner or travelling) a good product is Primafix both these products are compatible.

I would strongly recommend getting live plants as quickly as possible even cheap floating plants will help to control the water quality and give the fish something to hide under.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 21-Jun-2006 05:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Purpleosiris
-----
Small Fry
female canada
Kept the gravel and rocks in with water and had airation in the buckets. I did good! I also added stress coat to all fish.

The previous owner said she had about 15 zebra danios but all of them died the day after she got home and she was to old to be mobile and return to the store.

All of the fish look wonderfull, no signs of any problems.

I think I am going to the petstore tomarrow to hopefully get 2-5 more Corydoras julii. I seen them there last week and liked them now that I have some more i'll fill up the group. That is if no one suggests against it.

Very nice tank BTW, it's cute

Thanks, Purple Osiris
Post InfoPosted 21-Jun-2006 08:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Well for one I doubt they'er true julii but close enough. You'll know true julii when you pay for them .

Even with the precautions I'd wait at least 3 weeks before adding more fish, especially something like corys. IMO it's better to be on the safe side. Even if they don't die, you will be putting stress on them and it's better to be safer than more than sorry.
Otherwise I say go for it, the more corys in a given school the better.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 21-Jun-2006 19:23Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Purpleosiris
-----
Small Fry
female canada
EditedEdited by purpleosiris
How much should a real cory run ya then? The ones at the LFS right now is 9.99 per cory. I hope there isnt any more exspencive

I will wait before I add anything, 3 weeks is a safe number??
I went to one LFS as well for a test kit they were sold out of masters. So I need to go to the other LFS bear with me.

Could more dwarf goramies fit in this setup they are very nice and lots of color?

Suggestions would be nice to!!!

I love red tail black sharks can one of them go in?

OMG lol I gotta go to many options

Thanks, Purple Osiris
Post InfoPosted 21-Jun-2006 19:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
EditedEdited by Babelfish
Welcome to the wonderful addiction to fish the more you research the more you want .

I dont know what a real julii would run, I've never seen them in any of my three large well stocked LFS

What country are you in? In the states there are a number of online retailers that have Great prices on master test kits (and everything else ) Bigals has great shipping too. Only once has anything I ordered from them taken longer than I wanted (the full 5 days of 3-5 day shipping )

I really would hold off on adding anyone else at this point. I'm a bit worried as it is about that pleco. I know he's a baby but even now he accounts for a good portion of your stock "limit". He will outgrow that tank, it's just a matter of how soon you get him to a larger one. The fact that you've got two plecos worry me a tad.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 22-Jun-2006 00:14Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
GirlieGirl8519
----------
Fish Master
*Malawi Planter*
Kudos: 1029
Votes: 35
female usa
I'd stay away from the red tail shark. They are territorial and with so many cories in the tank, I don't think he'd have enough space to call his own. He would probably give you problems.

*Kristin*
Post InfoPosted 22-Jun-2006 05:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Purpleosiris
-----
Small Fry
female canada
Okay, shark out of the question

As for the pleco, he is going to a new home this week, I found a 500 gallon heated pond in the summer and 200 gallon in the winter inside. I hope he's happy when he goes. A friend of a friend will be taking him.

I knew he had to go as soon as I seen the tank, a fast growing poop machine.

As well the endlers will not be in the tank, I will be removing those due to other livebearers in the tank. They look quite wild compared to every endler i've seen at a LFS. I know I can't say for sure.....let's just say there pretty and they want there own tank

As for fish I plan on waiting now anyways due to info you all gave, I wanna focus on deco.

I live in Canada, and have ordered from Big Al's before. Great site!

I will do my tests today if time allows, my landlord is comming for inspections and well.....there pains in the bum they will be looking EVERYWHERE in my house so my attention is turned elsewhere today

Thanks again,
Purple Osiris
Post InfoPosted 22-Jun-2006 18:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Wow I wish everyone was able to have friends like yours I have a few goldfish I rescued from people that insist on putting them in bowls I would love to be able to get them in a pond that large .

Let us know when you get a moment to get those tests done .

^_^

Post InfoPosted 22-Jun-2006 21:09Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies