Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeStocking planted tank
PappaBear
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 4
Votes: 0
Hi

I'm setting up a 25gallon (120liter) community tank, heavily planted. I want to know how many tetras (cardinals) and harlequin rasboras I can keep.

The measure is 1 inch fish per gallon, but do a thin fish like a tetra count for the same as a thick fish like a cory?

Thanx!!

J
Post InfoPosted 26-Sep-2007 13:42Profile PM Edit Report 
Aqua_D
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 28
Votes: 1
male usa
The rule applies to thin fish like a neon only. Fish that are more eh, heavy set will require more room.

In a 25 I would keep a low stock until you get a better feel for what you are doing and how much maintenance the tank will require. Given that, say a school of 8 or so cardinals, and 3-4 rasboras.

Present: L183, L114, L330, LDA33, L059, L340, L136, L399, Clown, Whip Tail

Past: L001, L239, L200, L134, L030, L110, L204, L260, LDA08, L226, Ancistrs sp3 albino as well as calico, L187 (sp2), Common Hypostomus punctatus
Post InfoPosted 26-Sep-2007 15:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
PappaBear
-----
Small Fry
What does that L183 etc mean (are they fish codes?), if so, where do you get a list?
Post InfoPosted 26-Sep-2007 15:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Yeah that 1" per gallon "rule" is quite outdated. By its standards you should be allowed to keep a 24" goldfish in a 24 gallon tank, but we all know that is NOT possible at ALL!

What Aqua_D suggested is good. I'd start with a medium sized school, might push up the harlie school to 6. This will let you add a small school of smaller corys later if you wish. Depending on how planted it is you may be able to stock it more heavily eventually but keep in mind with a small tank like a 25 that there's just not going to be much swimming room and any fish you do pick should probably be under 3" adult size.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 27-Sep-2007 00:20Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I personally would stick to the Cardinals as one big school. When you do get them only get 5 at a time and do your water change and filtration about 1-2 days beforehand and this will not unsettle them. I have noticed in the Betta tank the 14 Cardinals in there now are reacting better than when I only had the 4.
You might find that 20 will be enough yet again you might be able to have even 30 it all depends on your tank, plants, water & water changes, Filtration type and how often it is cleaned.

I consider my Betta tank to be well planted but I am still waiting for 6 more Crypts.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 27-Sep-2007 03:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
PappaBear
-----
Small Fry
Thanks guys!

I notice you all say a 25gallon is a small tank? Where I come from it's considered medium at least!

We are talking about the same tank? 90cm x 35cm x 30cm?
Post InfoPosted 27-Sep-2007 10:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
PappaBear
-----
Small Fry
PS: It's not my first tank. Have bread livebearers and kribs succesfully at different stages in this tank, so the tank is well settled.

J
Post InfoPosted 27-Sep-2007 10:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
EditedEdited by Babelfish
IMO...

Micro anything under 10 gallons

Small anything under 45 gallons

Medium 50-75 gallons

Large 75- 125 gallons

Pretty decent sized tank 125+ gallons

I don't like seeing fish that should be 5" long put in small tanks. They just end up stunted. Many people don't take into consideration the fact that this animal also has to move. While a horse might be able to survive on an apartment balcony, it's sure not living.

That's why I think it's important to take into account size of tank before picking fish. I'm glad you've picked good sized fish for that tank. With the plants and smaller fish it'll look stunning .

^_^

Post InfoPosted 27-Sep-2007 12:51Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
PappaBear
-----
Small Fry
You guys work in US gallons I reckon?

I'm in South Africa so my 25gallon tank is actually an 33gallon tank (in US gallons)!

Sounds a bit better!
Post InfoPosted 27-Sep-2007 13:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
US works Gallons.

I'm in Oz now and they work in Litres....

The footprint of the tank is of course what's the most important. Surface area is what allows for the gas exchange, and horizontal swimming room is what's important for most species.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 27-Sep-2007 23:08Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies