L# Getting Started
  L# Water Values
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeWater Values
Goldie12
Small Fry
Kudos: 4
Votes: 0
I started an indoor tub pond as of 2 weeks ago. My ammonia level has been .50-1 ppm with 0 nitrite and as of today nitrates are rising/turning darker orange. There is about 5ppm in our water supply, but this is 10 even slightly darker. I have been using seachems stability since day 3 and yesterday decided to try Dr Tim's one and only bacteria. It seems there is a conversion happening, but ammonia to nitrate with no measurable nitrite. I should mention I only added fish because I took media from an established tropical tank, but that didn't seem to help so I went to the bottled bacteria. should I try a water change or let the tank settle? Any opinions or ideas are welcome, thanks.
Post InfoPosted 13-Feb-2015 06:41Profile PM Edit Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi, and welcome to Fish Profiles!
You have done a lot to the tub inside two weeks. I suggest that you should let the tub sit without adding anything additional (fish or chemicals) for a week. Do continue to test, and top off for evaporation. You don't mention how big the tub is, or how many or what size the fish or what kind of fish are in the tub.

Generally speaking it can take 4 to 6 weeks to complete the formation of the nitrogen cycle. A handfull of mulm from an established tank can shorten the time required. Also the "bottled" bacteria can help as well.

A nitrate reading of 5 can be a normal reading, as it can be the result of agricultural runoff into the surface water. From there it can get into wells or the municipal water system.

You don't mention what you are using to test for the water's chemistries. Strips, while less expensive, are also notorious for erroneous readings. Their readings can be thrown off by age, moisture, and heat. The better test kits use liquid reagents that are added a drop at a time to a small vial of water. The best use small "pillows" of chemical powder that are broken open and added to the test sample.

Watch the ammonia and nitrite reading, you don't want ammonia to go past 6ppm and you don't want the nitrite reading to go past 10ppm. If either does, then you should do a water change. In the tub, with plants, and algae growth a nitrate reading of 10 to 15pm is good. More than 20 and you should do a water change.

Hope this helps...
Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 13-Feb-2015 22:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Goldie12
Small Fry
Kudos: 4
Votes: 0
Thanks for you reply! This pond is 40 gallon with a single fantail goldfish, the temp is 70 degrees with an aqua-clear filter. I have about 2 bunches of anacharis that is growing well, I also have some floating frog bit in there that was doing well until yesterday.

Water Stats API liquid kit:
Ammonia-1ppm
Nitrite- almost .25 not quite
Nitrate-10ppm? Darker than yesterday

My fish looks ok and is eating well, probably really stressed though. I expected the cycle to be quick due to the seeded media. This cycling will sure test your patience. Thanks again.
Post InfoPosted 13-Feb-2015 23:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies