L# What to feed my community?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeWhat to feed my community?
Charliejaebrown
Small Fry
Kudos: 6
Votes: 1
male usa
Hey guy just wanted some advice on what to feed my fish. I have been feeding them freeze dried blodworms and tropical flakes and I'm going to start leaving roman lettuce in the tank because they seem to always be hungry.
I have in my 100 gallon:
4 bala sharks
2 clown loaches
2 rainbow sharks
5 angel fish
1 small algae eater
1 dinosaur bichir
And strangely 1 Betta
I would appreciate any and all advice thank you
Post InfoPosted 08-Aug-2012 02:56Profile PM Edit Report 
RED PHANTOM
Fingerling
Kudos: 21
male costarica
Hello CJB,

Food seems ok, might want to vary the menu sometimes with freeze dried rivershrimp. I personally prefer Tetra crisps over flakes any day. Might want to look for some bottom feeder pellets like Hikari carnivore pellets or any other pellet food for carnivores like your loaches.

If you can get some frozen bloodworms your fish will love them.

Remember to feed spairingly in order to avoid waste acumulating on the bottom and shifting your water parameters.

How long have you had your tank running? Did you cycle your tank properly before adding that many fish?

Looking forward to some pics...

RP

Leaning towards the better side of life
Post InfoPosted 08-Aug-2012 05:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Food seems fine, remember fish are opportunistic feeders so they will always "seem hungry".

I'd suggest adding some algae wafers. Our clowns love them and yours should too. The algae eater (you didn't mention which kind) will appreciate it as well. You can try zucchini as well, or peas, just make sure you remove the outer skin from the peas, just drop the two halves of the pea in the tank. Break it in bits for the smaller mouthed fish.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 09-Aug-2012 23:41Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Charliejaebrown
Small Fry
male usa
i forgot what algae eater is but i got him because he doesnt get big from petsmart.i like the peas idea @babelfish and also i will look into the those tetra crisp havent heard of those b4 @Red Phantom

Thanks you guys are always helpful
Post InfoPosted 10-Aug-2012 01:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Charliejaebrown
Small Fry
male usa
heres a pic its still a work in progress

Attached Image:
Post InfoPosted 10-Aug-2012 02:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
An algae eater from pet$m@rt doesn't sound good to me. I made that mistake once, bought what turned out to be a Chinese Algae Eater, which don't really eat algae, and can quickly start harassing your fish. The one I had sucked the slime coat off a few barbs and killing them before I realized what was going on and got him into a new home.
Just keep a close eye on what he's doing.

Looks like you could use a few live plants Look at getting one or two pieces of Java Fern. It's a hardy low light plant that doesn't need much care. Just tie it onto some rock, driftwood, ornament whatever and it'll stay put (eventually). I've got so much of it in my tank right now I'm tossing little baby plants out with each water change .

^_^

Post InfoPosted 14-Aug-2012 02:01Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Charliejaebrown
Small Fry
male usa
The algae eater i barely see sometimes but I'll keep an I on him. Aquariums are still a new hobby for me so I was kind of putting off the live plants but your right I do need some. What do you need to take care of the live plants? Also I have a rainbow shark that chases my peaceful fish should I take him out or will more plants help?
Post InfoPosted 14-Aug-2012 02:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
EditedEdited 14-Aug-2012 14:08
Hi,
Yes. I'd explore another home for the rainbow shark as well before it gets so big, and the colors fade that no one will take it.

I suggest you explore the "Planted Aquaria" section of this web site. It abounds with all sorts of articles and posts from folks who love planted tanks. From the look of your tank (the lighting) I would stick with low light plants as you begin. That will give you the most success. Later, as you progress in experience, or increase desire, you can increase the lighting and be successful with the mid range and even higher light demanding plants.

To find out about how much light you have over the tank you would divide the total wattage of the bulb(s) by the capacity of the tank and the result is your "watts per gallon." Plants can be divided into three groups, "Low","medium," and "high," demand. Low being around .5 to 1.5 watts per gallon. Medium is 1.5 to 3 watts per gallon, and anything over 3 watts per gallon is considered high light demand.

The low light plants predominately come from areas that
have a heavy canopy of trees and other vegetation that shields them from direct sunlight. The medium light plants are more exposed, and the high light plants are generally found out in the open and exposed to hours and hours of direct sunlight.

Because the bulk of our plants are tropical, they come from areas "near" the Equator, and we generally give them
a "Photoperiod" of 10 to 12 hours of "lights on" time.

Babelfish's suggestions are spot on for your beginning plants and while low light plants are all, generally speaking, slow growing plants, you can have a truly beautiful tank with little effort.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 14-Aug-2012 14:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Charliejaebrown
Small Fry
male usa
Thanks frank your advice has super helpful.
Post InfoPosted 20-Aug-2012 14:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
You are Welcome, I'm glad I could help.
Stay in touch with Fish Profiles and should you have any
more questions, please don't hesitate to ask, you would
be amazed at how many knowledgeable folks are on this site.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 22-Aug-2012 06:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies