AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# General
 L# Getting Started
  L# it's been awhile...I'm starting over...
 Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribeit's been awhile...I'm starting over...
houston
---------------
-----
Fish Guru
You want what when?
Kudos: 2462
Votes: 337
female usa
So it's been 7 years since I had a "real tank"...and it's been 4 years since I even had my betta tank. So I'm thinking of starting over. I know I have a ten gallon stashed away, fiancee just mentioned looking at like goodwill for a bigger tank...my apt temp fluctuates massively...but Ineed this git my sanity...thoughts on getting a tank from goodwill? Keeping balanced temps? Thanks. Hml

"I've got a great ambition to die of exhaustion rather than boredom." Thomas Carlyle
Post InfoPosted 09-Nov-2015 00:15Profile PM Edit Report 
moondog

---------------
---------------
The Hobnob-lin
Kudos: 1038
Votes: 4366
male usa
EditedEdited 09-Nov-2015 15:11
What kind of temp fluctuations are we looking at? As with any used tank, check the seals by filling it with water and making sure it doesn't leak. And that the silicone feels like it's good and not dry and/or dusty. And give it a good cleaning with vinegar before you fill it up "for real" and start putting fish in it.

"That's the trouble with political jokes in this country... they get elected!" -- Dave Lippman
Post InfoPosted 09-Nov-2015 15:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Theresa_M

---------------
---------------
-----
Queen of Zoom
Kudos: 4280
Votes: 790
female usa us-maryland
EditedEdited 15-Nov-2015 17:37
Depending on where you live watch for both Petsmart and PetCo to have their $1 per gallon sales.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
Post InfoPosted 15-Nov-2015 17:37Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
Not sure if its still on, but Petco was having their 1$ per gallon sale at the end/beginning of the year. Could be a good opportunity to get a nice sized tank for potentially less than at goodwill.

I've gotten one tank from a charity shop/thrift store. It was ok but I ended up having to redo the seals. It wasn't a hard or expensive task (razor blades, acetone and some new silicone), but might just be worth it as far as time to buy a new tank.

I'll be in the same boat with restarting in the next month or two, since I've been living in employee housing with my work for the past two years. Hopefully my tanks in storage are still in good enough shape to revamp into something incredible!

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 05-Jan-2016 22:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
SantaMonicaHelp
Fingerling
Kudos: 7
Votes: 0
usa
Good advice brandeeno! Don't give up, there is no rush. It takes quite a long time to set up a tank in the first place.

- C. Smith

Research Studies: Reefbase.org
Post InfoPosted 17-Sep-2016 23:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
houston
---------------
-----
Fish Guru
You want what when?
Kudos: 2462
Votes: 337
female usa
New place is much better only about 10°fluctuation other place could be in the 40°if I was lucky in the winter and 100°<during the worst of summer... it was horrible and the electrical issue was so untrustworthy... things are better just have to get one set up...

"I've got a great ambition to die of exhaustion rather than boredom." Thomas Carlyle
Post InfoPosted 19-Sep-2016 01:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies