AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# Invertebrates
  L# Cherry Red Shrimps What am I observing?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeCherry Red Shrimps What am I observing?
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
As my Cardinal & Shrimp tank are next to the computer screen & phone I tend to watch the shrimps a lot.

Yesterday I saw one on a surf board (well a small Anubias nana leaf) which was high in the floating Water sprite. There must be a little current up there as soon as he got onto the leaf it started to glide across the tank, funny to watch.
That is not my only concern about the same time I was watching a big FM (dark red) It was arching her back and lifting her tail high underneath her body as if she was cleaning her tail. She then would straighten up then go back to the arching position. Then she took another position this would be equal to trying to do a hand stand. Both of these actions carried on for at least 5+minutes.

About 30 min later I saw two shrimps about 4-5mm at the same spot where all this action took place.

Was this the actions of the arrival of baby Shrimps?

What was I observing????

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 28-Jan-2009 11:50Profile PM Edit Report 
cichlidaddicted
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 9
Votes: 0
I have noticed my neocardinia shrimp doing the same arched-back behavior.
This is just an educated guess, but i presume that the shrimp are grooming themselves, as when i looked closely, it seems as if the shrimp are running their swimmerets through their mouthparts, maybe to pick up detritus that may have collected on them.
Post InfoPosted 29-Jan-2009 04:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 285
Votes: 34
male usa
EditedEdited by Lindy
keith i know with cray fish this is a territorial display, dont knowif it has anything to do with shripm but crayfish and shrimp are related.
Post InfoPosted 29-Jan-2009 04:55Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 29-Jan-2009 05:26
This post has been deleted
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 285
Votes: 34
male usa
EditedEdited by Babelfish
though i had crayfish or crawdads for awhile that i caought in a minnow trap for my oscar, and theyve would do that quite often to assert dominance and when breeding. i did manage to have them breed and got a batch of fry? not sure if that is proper term.
Post InfoPosted 30-Jan-2009 20:35Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies