AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# Invertebrates
  L# I have baby snails in a separate tank from my main tank..
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeI have baby snails in a separate tank from my main tank..
fairfarren
Small Fry
Kudos: 4
Votes: 0
My snails in my main tank had babies. Yay!
So I moved the babies to a smaller tank to make sure they were getting a decent amount of food..
Now I think those babies are laying eggs..? What should I do?
I already have nine little babies in the small tank.
Post InfoPosted 20-Aug-2013 00:14Profile PM Edit Report 
barbdarb
Fingerling
Kudos: 26
Votes: 1
male usa
im guessing you dont wish to have many snails in your tank?
snails constantly reproduce, and the only real way to keep the population down is either by physically removing them or possibly adding fish that will predate on the snails. One good way to get the vast majority of the snails is by leaving a bit of lettuce in your tank overnight, by the time you wake up you should have a whole load of snails feasting.! Several species of loaches and also some gouramis eat snails. Hope my advice helps (:

2 tanks (for now)
1 30 gallon
1 22 gallon
Barb and oddball/predatory fish fan
Post InfoPosted 20-Aug-2013 05:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi and Welcome to Fish Profiles!

Snails are like proverbial rabbits, always multiplying. You did not mention the type of snail that you have. You can put a container on its side in the bottom of the tank with food in it, such as lettuce or cucumber in it at night, then turn the lights out, and in the morning the container should house a bunch of snails. Remove the container and the snails and discard them. Depending upon how big they are, you can smush them against the side of the tank, and feed the escargot to the fish. Good fish food, but it is one critter at a time.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 20-Aug-2013 05:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fairfarren
Small Fry
Kudos: 4
Votes: 0
I don't really want to kill them.. Are there any alternatives? Do you know if stores will buy snails back or something? If I get too many, I can feed them to a friends' turtle.
Post InfoPosted 20-Aug-2013 13:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
barbdarb
Fingerling
Kudos: 26
Votes: 1
male usa
i wouldnt be too sure to say even non-chain stores would buy baby snails. But you could always call and ask a local fish store around your area and ask them if they do. But if they dont then the other option may be your only choice.

2 tanks (for now)
1 30 gallon
1 22 gallon
Barb and oddball/predatory fish fan
Post InfoPosted 20-Aug-2013 18:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies