Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribeghost Shrimp Question?
DwarfGourami
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 83
Votes: 6
female usa
I got some shrimp from wally world and two had eggs but didnt noticed this until i got them home and really looked at them, but how long do they carry the eggs for? and hatch and stuff
Post InfoPosted 24-Feb-2006 07:59Profile MSN Yahoo PM Edit Report 
illustrae
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 876
female usa
Lucky you!
They'll probably carry their eggs for two to three weeks, then release live young that are basically miniature adults and will eat the same foods as adults, just smaller. They will be very very tiny when released, so you may not see them at all. Having some bunches of java moss or other moss tied to rocks or wood on the bottom of your tank will help in their survival, as it will provide excellent hiding places, and trap all kinds of tiny detrius for them to eat.

Ghost shrimp are a bit trickier to breed than neocaridina species (cherry shrimp), and the stress of being moved to a new tank may cause the shrimp to drop the eggs unhatched. You also don't know how long they've been carrying the eggs before you got them, so two to three weeks is a very vague guestimate...

Hoping that there must be a word for everything I mean...
Post InfoPosted 24-Feb-2006 17:06Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
DwarfGourami
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 83
Votes: 6
female usa
Well I hope it has not been to long they been carry them, which I really love these guys they are a excellent clean up crew, they have been cleaning up my 10g with guppy fry in there which helps because they leave alot of uneaten food.
Post InfoPosted 24-Feb-2006 19:26Profile MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
Chances are the young will get eaten unless you seperate the shrimp to their own tank. I've had tons of baby ghost shrimp in my community tanks but even in my 90g with a moss wall they couldn't hide well enough to survive. All female shrimp I've bought carrying eggs have successfully hatched them and raised young. I've never experienced any problems acclimating them or moving them to different tanks.
Post InfoPosted 25-Feb-2006 04:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies