SubscribeBullying Gouramis/Paradise Fish
Thursday
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 32
Votes: 4
female usa
EditedEdited by Thursday
Ok, we have two Blue gouramis and two Paradise fish. We just got the two paradise fish and the one blue gourami today. The Original Blue is about 2-2.5 inches, and the new one is maybe 2. One paradise fish is only about 2 in, but the other is only an inch or so. Anyways, I put them in my ten gallon (Yes, I know, waayyy too small... It was fine for the 1 blue, but not for all of them.... I'm switching to a 20 gal long probably sometime this week or next weekend) And the gouramis and larger paradise fish fought at first (The little paradise fish hid)... Then it seemed like they developed some social order- The larger paradise chased the original blue, the original blue chased the new one, the new one chased the paradise. And everyone chased the little paradise. But I set up a 3 gal extra so I could move the little guy in if things didn't settle. Well, 5 hours later, the Original blue is lording over the tank and the larger paradise fish isn't looking that hot. Neither is the new blue, but he still looks ok. So, I moved the two paradise fish into extra small tank.

Anyways, when I switch to the new tank will the bullying go down, or will they settle a social order and stop fighting or something? Right now the ten gall has alot of rocks and hiding places and fake plants, so the new blue is hiding, but the original keeps harassing him. Will he stop all the harassing after a bit or will this always be a constant? I know in alot of animals they beat up on new ones at first, but it's to show them their place, then they settle down. Will it be like that? Or will I juat have to hope that by moving them to a larger tank it will mess the origin. blue up long enough that once they get their own territories there won't be as much bullying?

I think the original blue is the problem...The only thing I could keep alive in that tank was a ADF. We got a school of 6 or so Neon Tetras and he had killed all but one in 6 hours or so. The last one was dead by morning.

So what should I do?(Besides move them into a 20. I'm going to do that.) Will the harassing ever stop? Or will they always be fighting?

thanks.
(Sorry it's such a long post. I'm one for detail but then I ramble on trying to explain and.... see? I'm doing it again.)

If pets are so stupid, how did they weasel free room and board out of us?
Post InfoPosted 17-Dec-2007 04:29Profile PM Edit Report 
Big E
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 382
Votes: 0
usa
If both blues are males, there will be problems even in a 20 long. The paradise fish will also fight if the two are males in a 20 long (usually worse than the blues).

I'm thinking only 2 of your gouramis/paradise fish will work out in the 20 long. For example, a male/female pair of either should work, or the paradise fish (larger) and a blue probably would work...

Both fish can be aggressive depending upon their individual personalities, and a 20 long isn't as big as you'd like it to be (I've had more luck with 30 longs which are 36" long when keeping multiple labyrinth fish - for example, I have 2 paradise fish, 2 giant/banded gouramis, and a female dwarf gourami in a 33 gallon 36" long tank).

Eric
Post InfoPosted 17-Dec-2007 05:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 363
Votes: 65
male usa
Like big E said, the two paradise fish will fight to the death, just like male bettas. Their gills and fins will flare up if faced each other just like a betta. Now Blue here is the species Trichogaster trichopterous which is the same as opaline, blue, and gold gouramis. They are known to be agressive in tighter spaces. They will constantly fight with similar fish, and smaller fish too, IME. Just try and return the smaller fish or the big ones instead. Then get a new tank and viola, They might behaive! Just dont keep them in small spaces & youll be fine!

_Goby

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
-----> View My Dragons <-----
Post InfoPosted 17-Dec-2007 07:56Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies