Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeCherry Barbs with my Betta?
CrimsonaX
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 57
female australia
EditedEdited by CrimsonaX
The tank is only about 6 gals when filled to its current level. it's also been up for around 3-4 weeks so still fairly new.
Hoping to add within the next week or two if that's workable.

Here's some pictures so far: Here

I'm happy to add or remove plants and decorations if that would be any help.

If they're not able to be in my tank I'm open for other suggestions.

Things I can't have include Snails (they scare me), Shrimp (so far I just can't find them), or African Dwarf Frogs (The sister has a fear of frogs).

If nothing at all would work in that's ok, I was just hoping to add some company for my betta but it's not essential =)

EDIT: Just thought I'd mention an increase in water changes shouldn't be a problem if it's needed
Post InfoPosted 21-Jun-2007 17:16Profile PM Edit Report 
shadowtheblacklab
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 52
Votes: 0
female usa
hmmm,6 gallons...
some options would be...
A small school of Corydora Catfish[3-5]
A pair of swordtails or platies
A small school of Harliquen Rasboras

Yup. I'm that crazy Twilight/animal/music girl
Post InfoPosted 21-Jun-2007 19:33Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
aaronfry
----------
Hobbyist
?
Kudos: 55
Votes: 159
male usa
With 6gal you are almost limited to just the Betta.
The Swords would get to big(4 1/5 inch max but more realistically 3inches). You could argue that the swordtails would need atleast a 20gal. As for the Harlequin Rasbora they don’t do well it small schools you'll need at least 8. You could always upgrade to the 10gal and get a trio of Cherry Barbs 1m/2f.

"No whammy, No whammy, No whammy, STOP!!"

1984-Michael Larsen On Press Your Luck
Post InfoPosted 21-Jun-2007 21:45Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
kitten
----------
Fish Guru
Meow?
Kudos: 2194
Votes: 19
female usa
I had a pair of cherry barbs in with a betta in my five gallon tank and it worked for a while. This situation made me realize, though, that in small quarters, a male cherry barb will act like a male guppy... that being he pestered the poor girl to death. She was constantly hiding and finally just disappeared.

I think you could make it work with diligence... I would keep a trio (2F/1M) of cherry barbs, though.

~Meow. Thus spoke the cat.~
Post InfoPosted 21-Jun-2007 23:11Profile Homepage AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
CrimsonaX
-----
Hobbyist
female australia
With the catfish is something like this]http://www.fishprofiles.com/files/profiles/632.htm[/link] one or [link=this one the corydora catfish?
I would love them if they're workable in size. And like I said, if this increases my cleaning needs I don't mind.

I won't be upgrading for at least a few months, but I'd love to just have something extra for now.
Post InfoPosted 22-Jun-2007 02:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
With that small tank I would stick to one M Betta only. If you went live plants you could have a few Cardinals and maybe a two Khuli loach and two Ottos. I noticed you have a large filter there this would help if it was fully cleaned weekly also a min of a weekly 50% water change.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 22-Jun-2007 03:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
katieb
-----
Fish Addict
Votes: 69
female usa
If you can get your hands on them look for microrasboras. I have Phoenix rasboras and they are less than an inch fully grown. They are also very confident and school well. Right now I have 4 in a 5 gallon, but I could add more easily (and would if they weren't such a hassle to get).

I'll do graffiti,
If you sing to me in French.
Post InfoPosted 22-Jun-2007 04:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
you are kind of lucky on the ADF front, you can't get them here I'm not sure on the microrasbora front, someone must have them somewhwere, but they wouldn't be easy to find.

Try Aquagreen for shrimp, they'll mail order (and don't get the macro shrimp, they are way too big)

If you definitely want something else, maybe a trio of endlers (all male) or maybe an otocinclus (they are messy). If you go cherry barbs, I'd try all female, just to get around the boofy behaviour.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 23-Jun-2007 01:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
CrimsonaX
-----
Hobbyist
female australia
Aquagreen has shrimp? I can only find plants... and so long as they accept money order then that's good for me =)

So far my favorite would be the ottos. but im still just as happy to keep with the barbs.
Post InfoPosted 23-Jun-2007 09:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
Scroll down, it is just above 'non-native plants'

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 23-Jun-2007 15:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies