AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Species
 L# Labyrinth Lounge
  L# Is betta getting enough oxygen? Help!
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeIs betta getting enough oxygen? Help!
angiebiss
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 1
Votes: 0
I started with a 1/2 gallon tank and realized I would need to clean it too often. So I just moved my male betta to a gallon tank which also came with a cover. I would like to use the cover for safety but it only has an airhole the size of a quarter or a little larger. I've been using it for 2 days, since I put him in there, and he has already started a nice bubble nest. Or is he rising to the surface more because he needs more oxygen? I'm just a little concerned I am not giving him enough air, but I really want to use the cover if he's okay with it. How can I tell? Thanks in advance!
Post InfoPosted 26-Mar-2008 14:29Profile PM Edit Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
Make sure there is about 1" of space between the cover and the top of the water. I'm not 100% sure how big a quarter is, but most coin-sized holes should provide OK airflow.
You really need the space to make sure you have a decent sized open surface area, as that is how the oxygen gets into the water.

A bubblenest is a good sign. If he starts just sulking at the surface or 'panting' or gasping constantly, then you have trouble, but I think he'll be fine Don't worry if he's just gulping air to make bubble after bubble, that is fine.

Is there a picture of your tank anywhere?
Do you have a little filter or airstone in there for him?

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 26-Mar-2008 16:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
If it a glass cover that fits into the tank and a corner has been cut I would say get the other corners cut as well.

I also would buy a small mini filter this will aerate the water.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 27-Mar-2008 02:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies