Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribePearl Gouramis and Guppies

----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 351
Votes: 14
female australia
Hey everyone! Long time no see.

I have a quick question about pearl gouramis. A friend has two that are being bullied and wants to give them a better home and he has offered them to me. At the moment I have a 25g tank (2.5x1.25x1 feet) with only a dozen guppies in it. It's fully planted with a sponge filter and has been cycled for about 3 years. Would pearl gouramis be ok in there?

I also have an empty 10g tank although had no intention of setting it up. I have a fluval3 filter for that one. Would that be better?
Post InfoPosted 06-Nov-2007 07:54Profile PM Edit Report 
DaMossMan
----------
Fish Guru
Piranha Bait
Kudos: 2117
Votes: 359
male canada ca-ontario
Hi Elisecroft

I think they'd be quite fine in the 25 but read below.

Possible problems: Any guppy babies won't last, and it's possible the odd adult guppy will be killed or harassed. (Sometimes gouramis are totally peaceful around adult guppies, other times the gourami can pick on them alot, I think it depends on the gourami) If you run into this or wish to avoid then you have your 10g to re-home the guppies. I'd try them all in same tank and keep a close eye & provide hiding spots but it's your choice.

The Amazon Nut...
Post InfoPosted 06-Nov-2007 09:15Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I have had Pearl Gourami on and off over the years and most are very peaceful but again I have had a male that was a sheer bully. If you get an aggressive Gourami you can say good by to all your Guppies. Regardless of that I think they will have a good feed at fry time. Plenty of plant cover will help but I think this also helps the Gourami in their hunting for food.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 06-Nov-2007 10:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Gaia
----------
Fingerling
Kudos: 25
Votes: 30
belgium
I have a pair of Pearl Gourami together with 9 guppy males, and the Gouramies totally ignore them.
but it is very true about gouramies that you never know how are they going to behave, they have very different 'personality' from fish to fish.
If you have only a dozen guppies, they will do fine in the 10g tank.
I would say better to cycle the small tank to have it 'just in case', try to put the Pearls with the gupies and if you see that they harass them move the guppies in the small tank. But don't forget to cycle the small tank first.
Post InfoPosted 06-Nov-2007 12:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 

----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 351
Votes: 14
female australia
Well, to be honest, the guppies seem to eat each other anyway.

There is plenty of plants in the tank and so plenty of places to hide. This last lot of fry seem to have lasted a lot longer than the previous ones due to the fact that my java moss has taken off.

So I guess I now need to know how to keep them. What to feed them I guess would be my main concern.
Post InfoPosted 07-Nov-2007 01:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Brengun

----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 187
Votes: 110
female australia au-queensland
My gouramis aren't too fussy about what they eat. They are also very good at pretending they are still starving even when you have already fed them.
Post InfoPosted 07-Nov-2007 02:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies