L# Baby mollies!!! finally!
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeBaby mollies!!! finally!
HorseGal
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
EditedEdited by HorseGal
I was just about to release my molly from the breeding net when i saw a small baby molly on the bottom of the cage. it was alive, but deformed and it swam funny. when i noticed i went to bed about half an hour anfter and in the morning i woke up and saw more!!! there were around 6 eggs sacs with the babies still in them. some were attempting to swim to the top of the water. now i have around 5 dead ones, 18 or 19 live healthy ones, and 4 that are alive and deformed....still. 2 are stuch in a c shape and when they try to swim, they go up in circles, and one's tail is in this shape: ~. last but not least, the last one has some sort of thing on his head, and also has some trouble swimming, other wise hes fine. can i help those four? what do i feed them? ive tried BBS but they dont seem intereted in them. ive tried crushed flakes but no luck there either
............... please help!!!

edit: nevermind, the onne with the thing on its head died..... poor thing

What came first? the chicken or the egg? No really.....
Post InfoPosted 29-Aug-2007 00:33Profile PM Edit Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 223
Votes: 255
female usa

Congrats on the healthy mollies! As for the others, even if they live, they will have a bad life. It's better to let them be fish food for the adults as soon as possible. I know it sounds harsh, but that is what would happen to them in nature. Better to end their misery early & quickly.

I've had good luck feeding "baby fish food". It is a dry food that is super fine & comes in a small container at the LFS. You could also squish up a little bit of pea in there, without the outer part, as a temporary food till you get something better. Again, congrats on the babies! Now to find them homes when they get bigger.
Post InfoPosted 29-Aug-2007 05:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
eat_ham222
-----
Banned
Kudos: 72
Votes: 16
male usa
awwww poor baby I wouldn't recomend doing a whole lot for them to survive.. out in the wild they'd get eaten in 1 second if they couldn't swim away . Grats on the healthy fry Share? xD
Post InfoPosted 29-Aug-2007 05:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Do you have any floating plants eg Water sprite this will give the healthy fry some protection. By the time you have read this nature has already taken over with the unhealthy etc fry.
Even a good flake food broken up finely or soak a little bit first at the same time fed the adult/s with their normal food otherwise they will eat the fry food.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 29-Aug-2007 07:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
viciouschiapet
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 77
Votes: 15
female usa
Grats HorseGal!!! I'm glad you waited long enough not to move your girl! I'm sorry to hear so many of the babies are dead or deformed. I hope you can raise the healthy babies up ok! What will you do with all the babies? How exciting!

The pottery that growls!
Post InfoPosted 29-Aug-2007 09:53Profile Homepage AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
HorseGal
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
hi again, three are still deformed, and.... alive, but no other deaths or anything. they are in the breeding net thing so they dont need to hide.i will keep u updated on the babies!

Post InfoPosted 29-Aug-2007 13:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Carissa
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 37
Votes: 0
The ones with egg sacs attached might still live, they just came early. Any that are deformed probably won't live. I had no problem feeding mine finely crushed flake food. Rub it between your fingers until it turns into powder. Mollies are slower growing as compared to some like guppies etc. but they have longer life spans. I have some fry that are now 8 weeks old and they are half the size of the guppies that are the same age. So be patient.
Post InfoPosted 29-Aug-2007 17:29Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
HorseGal
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
OMG! i looked in my guppy tank and i saw some babies. only 3 survived though, and many were eaten.....

Post InfoPosted 30-Aug-2007 03:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HorseGal
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
nevrmind, i found a fourth! yay! well, anyway, when do mollies get their colors? the mommy was a cremecickal sailfin lyretail molly, but right now her babies look like any other baby fish! will they got the shape of their mom later on?

Post InfoPosted 02-Sep-2007 15:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Carissa
-----
Hobbyist
Some of my baby mollies had color right away, but only pretty much black or white (the mom was black). Now that they are about 6 weeks old, you can start seeing their color patterns better. You could see the patterns and shape a little bit at about 4 weeks. The guppies I have that were coincidentally born on the exact same day, are about twice as big as the mollies, and one which I can easily identify as a male now has a lot of color on his tail and body now and it has just developed within the past week. I think the guppies mature quicker since they have a lot shorter life spans. With the mollies I think it will probably take a good 2 months before you can really see what they will start looking like. Evidently they grow faster if you give them good live foods (which I haven't been, I just feed them the dry stuff).
Post InfoPosted 04-Sep-2007 20:51Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
HorseGal
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
ok, so they ARENT born with lyretails or sailfins?

Post InfoPosted 05-Sep-2007 01:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Carissa
-----
Hobbyist
From what I can see, they aren't born with much.
Post InfoPosted 08-Sep-2007 02:06Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
HorseGal
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
right now they are doing great and are eating well, and i just bought 2 new female mollies, a black one and a balloon belly. the black one is most likeley pregnant!

Post InfoPosted 09-Sep-2007 15:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Carissa
-----
Hobbyist
I've found that mollies aren't very likely to eat their own babies either, so if you have lots of females you're probably bound to have lots of fry pretty soon, unless there are other fish in the tank who will eat the babies!
Post InfoPosted 11-Sep-2007 19:13Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Krunchy
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 23
male usa
I just found some guppy fry in my tank, how long before I can sex them?
Post InfoPosted 12-Sep-2007 23:46Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
HorseGal
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
Krunchy- pm me if you need info on them. i have 5 survivors right now, and i could probobly help

Post InfoPosted 15-Sep-2007 15:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies