SubscribeBest fry food for platies?
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
What have you found to be the best food for fry growth in platies? I'm wary of using the same foods I have for bettas because of the high meat content, and I'm not sure it would be good for them. What does everyone else use?

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 03-Dec-2007 15:54Profile PM Edit Report 
Corydoran
----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 370
Votes: 1217
male usa
I use First Bites by Hikari and frozen baby brine shrimp. The platies seem to like them.

I also put in some live plants to get some infusoria growing to mix things up a bit.
Post InfoPosted 08-Dec-2007 05:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 363
Votes: 65
male usa
When i had swordtail fry, i didnt feed them too many things special, but then again, there was a lot of leftovers in the tank bback then. They are pretty decent sized when first born, so they are developed enough to chow down on small live foods, and small pellet or crushed flake food.

Good luck and congrats on the platies!

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
-----> View My Dragons <-----
Post InfoPosted 08-Dec-2007 06:28Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
I'm not used to bright orange babies! Bettas don't colour up for ages, these guys were orange right from the beginning. I was worrying that they had an infection but then I got the torch "oh, wait, they are just that colour all over!"

I've popped some riccia in with them and they seem to be enjoying it. They are getting some sinking pellets to chew on and microworms when I remember They grow FAST! it won't be long before I can let them loose in the tank!

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 08-Dec-2007 17:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 363
Votes: 65
male usa
LOL, the first time i saw my swordtail fry was when i saw a bright orange to red dot fly out of the riverstone gravel i once had. I thought it was a piece of flake food, but it had eyes, and my swordtail was not fat anymore! I love fry~

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
-----> View My Dragons <-----
Post InfoPosted 09-Dec-2007 00:45Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Two Tanks
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 328
Votes: 13
female usa
I have always used First Bites, small enough for them to eat. My platie fry were usually a pale color until they were about three weeks old and started showing markings. Orange fry sounds very pretty, but makes them a target for a smorgasborg - I would think. Congradulations on the babies.
Post InfoPosted 13-Dec-2007 18:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jasonpisani
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 7215
Votes: 1024
male malta
Microworms & Live Brineshrimp are my best bet. I use them with all the fish i bred. When they grow up a bit i start feeding them Spirulina Flakes by Tropical.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corydoras/
Member of the Malta Aquarist Society - 1970.
http://www.maltaaquarist.com
Post InfoPosted 15-Dec-2007 10:01Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
i have one in a tank and simply ground up regular flake food and droped it in... i also had some plants and it took about 2 months till i was sure it wouldnt be eaten by its parents... she is doing great now let her in the big tank yesterday...

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 15-Dec-2007 19:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies