Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeBreeding Guppies
jsmith_2003
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 5
Votes: 0
male usa
I've been trying to learn as much as I can on the subject and can't figure it out my fish would breed get huge bellys and then die.And whats better breeding nets Vs breeding boxes.thanx for the help
Post InfoPosted 16-Aug-2006 12:54Profile Yahoo PM Edit Report 
Patrick
---------------
Fish Guru
Kudos: 355
Votes: 9
male australia

Depending on your filter set up, not much is required for breeding guppies. My daughters little 10 gal guppy tank uses an air filter which seems to be safe for the little guys. They breed like crazy all on their own ...

Just one more tank........
Post InfoPosted 16-Aug-2006 16:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jsmith_2003
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 5
Votes: 0
male usa
sweet thanx alot
Post InfoPosted 16-Aug-2006 18:40Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
mughal113
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 160
Votes: 64
male pakistan
Are you separating the guppies in a breeding net or box? they may be stressed to death if separated at wrong time (what is the correct time, i couldnt figure out myself and lost a lot of guppies in the same fashion). Its better to provide some shelter in the main tank and let them breed there. Some of the fry will survive which is better than loosing the female along with all the fry!
Post InfoPosted 16-Aug-2006 22:22Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I suggest you supply us with a full water peramiters to start of with and a full list about your tank what and when you do it. Also what you do and when you see the fry are about to be born?

You can put a full tank info in your Profile (have a look at mine as a guide what can be done)

I personally think guppies breed faster that rabits.
Do you have any plants partically floating type?

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 17-Aug-2006 08:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
Neither are great but in a tank with only guppies a breeding net works a bit better. Breeding boxes have worse water flow and so can overheat from floating near the lights and develop water quality problems in the box. My choice is to move the female to a 5g tank a week before she was going to drop fry and then move her back into the tank with the males. I never lost any that way. They get stressed being in breeding nets and boxes and if you move them too close to when they are due. Otherwise without a seperate tank it's better to just put in lots of decorations for the fry to hide in and let her give birth there.
Post InfoPosted 19-Aug-2006 01:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
zebra
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 291
Votes: 37
female usa
yess for sure you should move them into a different tank before they give birth.

the males will harass them too if you dont.
they will keep followin them around and eat the babies right as they come out.

even what I have done is took the babies out of the tank and placed them in a 2.5 g. bowl and waited til they got bigger and faster so i could place them back in with the parents.

and like everyone else has said... watch out. they breed like crazyyyy!!!!

-kristin

~!!I lOve LiFe!!~
Post InfoPosted 28-Aug-2006 23:22Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Thursday
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 32
Votes: 4
female usa
I've never had any guppies die while frying.(?) I guess it could be stress. Usually, I don't bother seperating, but, then again, I'm not Seriously interested in breeding. And, now and then, I find some fry hiding anyway. I'd say the plastic breeder would be better, as most have a compartment that the fry drop into, as the mom (And anyfish else) will eat them up. Seperate her if you see her not join in at feeding time, instead, hiding behind the filter or decorations. (Usually filter) Other signs include a squarish shape of the gravid area. Seperate her and turn off the aquarium lights, to help reduce stress. Keep her seperated for 12-24 hrs, and if there isn't anything, let her go.

If pets are so stupid, how did they weasel free room and board out of us?
Post InfoPosted 29-Aug-2006 05:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
purple
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 6
Votes: 11
female canada
what i use to do when i had guppies was i would not seperate the fish. i would just watch my fish and once i noticed one was getting fatter i would keep my eye on her and add some more dence plants in the corners of the tank to give the fry some good spots to hide. the babies are really hard to see when they are born but once i seen them i would take them out of the main tank and put them in a smaller on or get a breeders box ( i tried the plastic and the net liked both of them) and put the fry in there till they were big enough to go in the big tank. this way worked for me. before i use to seperate the female from the rest of the fish by putting her in the plastic breeders box but i ended up with way to manny guppies for my tank and really quick too so i started to just let the females have them in the tank with the rest of the fish and it would keep the population down cause only the lucky or the strongest fry would survive. that worked for me it does not mean that it will work for you. all i can say is try out some different sugestions that people have given you and see what works best for you. ps. if you do let them have babies in your big tank you will have to find something that has small holes that the fry cant get out of cause i found that the holes in fish nets are too big and you wont be able to catch them i used a very fine strainer that i got just for the fry it would only let water through nothing else agian it worked for me. also your going to need some time if you are going to catch the babies cause they are fast and hard to see and it takes some time to catch them lol hope this helps or gives you some ideas anyway
Post InfoPosted 31-Aug-2006 18:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies