SubscribeBreeding Question
pizpot
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 82
Votes: 1
male canada
Hi,

Do breeders do anything to fancy guppies so they can't breed? I've got a crab that I tried to feed 3 feeder guppies, and now there are tonnes of them and they are starting to even get nice spots. As they reproduce and mix.

We started another tank with fancy guppies, and nothing yet. I am just asking. I doubt the answer would be yes though.
Post InfoPosted 27-Mar-2007 04:53Profile ICQ PM Edit Report 
Dangerous Dave
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 179
Votes: 3
male australia
Separate them.
The only way you can stop guppies from breeding is to separate the males and females as young as possible.
Post InfoPosted 27-Mar-2007 05:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
pizpot
----------
Big Fish
male canada
I meant to ask why are the fancy guppies NOT breeding. I want them too.
Post InfoPosted 27-Mar-2007 05:04Profile ICQ PM Edit Delete Report 
Dangerous Dave
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 179
Votes: 3
male australia
Just keep the fish well fed and the water clean.
Thats about all I can think of.
Post InfoPosted 27-Mar-2007 07:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
rjmcbean
----------
Hobbyist
Like a Farmer
Kudos: 75
Votes: 415
female usa
Try some live food too.. (like blackworms). Live food gives it more of a natural habitat feel.

Also - the balance of the water has a way of being more relaxed. Lower levels might make them more comfortable. I am not the one to give advice on that though.

Good luck!

"it's the neck, it creaks under the weight of too much heavy thinking."
Post InfoPosted 27-Mar-2007 12:03Profile AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
EditedEdited by longhairedgit
In a word,yes! In places in the world, a lot of specilaist fish breeders wishing to protect their strains sometimes chemically sterilise all the fry they sell, quite often this is done in the far east. It doesnt happen so much in the west though, and nature being nature , eventually a few break through and breed anyway. Personally it disgusts me that it happens. Fish breeding is part of the hobby, and I rather like giving away fish that I manage to breed. GM fish and some hybrids coming out of the east are often routinely steralised.

Guppies however can be sourced in just about all types all over the world, try maintaining groups of 2 males and maybe 6 to 8 females, give them loats of floating plants and livefoods, and they should get to it pretty quickly. Its possible your guppies may have already been breeding, its just that they eat the young sometimes, and you never see them.
Post InfoPosted 27-Mar-2007 13:13Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
jasonpisani
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 7215
Votes: 1024
male malta
You can add some floating plants, so the fry will be able to hide in it. You can also remove the female in a seperate tank & remove her as soon as you see the fry. I don't think that Guppy's wouldn't breed in a good conditioned tank........

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corydoras/
Member of the Malta Aquarist Society - 1970.
http://www.maltaaquarist.com
Post InfoPosted 27-Mar-2007 15:20Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Lindy

---------------
----------
Administrator
Show me the Shishies!
Kudos: 1350
Votes: 730
female australia au-victoria
EditedEdited by Lindy
The females could very well be popping fry out but they may be getting eaten before you spot them. Putting some floating plants for the fry to hide in may help.

....and i've just realised git has said the same thing.

Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Post InfoPosted 27-Mar-2007 16:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
platy boy
-----
Banned
Kudos: 74
Votes: 30
male canada
one of the things i did was feed tubifix worms it conditions them for breeding if they were egglayers you would put marbles in the aquarium and java moss all helps but there livebearers so try tubifix make sure you run it under water so the bacteria washes off i do the same for freeze dried and live

33 gallon 7 neon tetras-5 platys-3 bleeding heart tetras-2 corys-1 rainbow shark-2 L83 gibby plecos
Post InfoPosted 27-Mar-2007 16:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
pizpot
----------
Big Fish
male canada
EditedEdited by pizpot
I called the store, which is a very reputable mom and pop shop, and they said no they breed. Sometimes in the bags on the way home.
Post InfoPosted 28-Mar-2007 00:53Profile ICQ PM Edit Delete Report 
ImRandy85
---------------
Enthusiast
Bleeding Blue
Kudos: 137
Votes: 75
male usa
There really shouldn't be a problem with getting guppies to breed. I'd add some floating plants like others have said, try adding a lot of plants to the bottom as well. Also, it might be a stupid question but do you have a good amount of males and females?
Post InfoPosted 28-Mar-2007 02:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
pizpot
----------
Big Fish
male canada
I brought home 3 f's and 2 males but only 2 females and one male survived the move. It has been 30 days.

PS, I'm not going to stock more yet as my blue green algae seems to have returned despite replacing everything and bleaching/salting/scrubbing the tank for 3 weeks. I'm now rethinking... I will probably mix the fancies with the feeders and redo the crab tank with deeper water and a beach for him to burrow in. Something about the crab/feeder-guppie ecosystem is keeping it blue green algae free for over a year now, with only a little green algae on the wet rocks. Crabs love java moss by the way.
Post InfoPosted 28-Mar-2007 19:45Profile ICQ PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies