AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Species
 L# Livebearers Lane
  L# Great Ideas for livebearer fry! Feel free to add any more!
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeGreat Ideas for livebearer fry! Feel free to add any more!
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 363
Votes: 65
male usa
If you have had livebearers give birth, then you have a handful of fry, and have to put them in a fry tank(if not, you can always supply river rock croppings for the fry to hide in. Just be sure to provide it so the other fish cant get to the fry). Some ideas for a fry tank, or any tank for that matter, is you can put a plastic CD(the ones that come with the burnable CD columns) under a bubbler. THe effect is, with many of these, you can create a field of disks on which you could rest plastic figurines(army men) on them to create a mini warfield! only 1-2 figures per disk, as it will sink. Fry tanks are a great opportunity to make a mini world(paris for example. Include an eiffel tower), as the fry can utilize the structures to hide in.

Just think about how cool a javamoss jungle could be? Or maybe an anubis atrium? The possibilities are endless! Just be sure to wash all materials thoroughly to get rid of contaminants. metal isnt wise though....doh! Anyways, whoever wants to put in ideas or critique my ideas, feel free to do whatever you want. Have fun

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
-----> View My Dragons <-----
Post InfoPosted 03-Mar-2007 02:38Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 223
Votes: 255
female usa
EditedEdited by fish patty
I think you're more ambitious in that respect than the rest of us on here Goby Fan.

The most creative I ever got with a tank was to decorate it like Atlantis. I had the background & then just added a few colums & what not to complete the scene. But the possibilities are endless as to the decor someome could add to their tank. Someone on here had white gravel & was going to add a small snowmobile to make a "snow scene."

My current tank is half "ocean" & half "lake". Not everybody's cup of tea, but I like it.
Post InfoPosted 03-Mar-2007 06:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
EditedEdited by longhairedgit
Ok , thats just weird. I guess as long as the stuff isnt toxic it doesnt matter that much. I wouldnt leave a cd in there for long though, should the layers seperate the glue acids and fixatives and the compounds in the photoresist layer can be toxic, even carcinogenic to small fish.

Most aquarium decoration is tested not only for the inertness and stability of its own construction, but also for any possibility of chemical reaction with meds and water conditioners.

At the very least if one must add plastic novelties to a fishtank , it would be better to use only those certified safe for use with babies and ones that bear quality kitemarks or similar.

I appreciate that you are a youngster by the standards of this site, and I wouldnt wish to deprive you of having fun with your setups, but be a bit more careful about the composition of the materials you use and youll get more fun out of your fish for a lot longer.

Personally being an old duffer ,lol, I find any non-natural setups a bit lame, but I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you wanna do that sort of thing try stuff like unpolished glass marbles for a bit of fun and (totally chemically inert) colour . Be very careful about any toys that are painted rather than molded in colour, i'm betting almost none of them are designed for permanent immersion or exposure to uv light and dechlorinating chemicals.

Have fun by all means, but better safe than sorry, and if you dont know exactly what something is made of and it doesnt come guaranteed safe, personally I wouldnt use it. Sorry to be a killjoy, but this is lives we are talking about, and thats no game.

Post InfoPosted 03-Mar-2007 17:25Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
male usa
EditedEdited by GobyFan2007
Half Ocean/ Half Lake

Thats sure is interesting fish patty, that may be a cool setup. The reason my post was so...persuading-like is because i just wrote a persuasive essay on a healthy diet As for the lego snowmobile thing, that was a great idea. I also want to find new ideas while others improve or post on otherr ideas. This may be a good way for others to get ideas on new fry tanks.

As for LONGHAIREDGIT, the figurines will be on top of the disks, so they wont be emersed in the water. Marbles are a good choice. And the cd idea warning is listed just below. Part of the reason i included this is because i saw an eiffel tower at a pet store that the fry can swim in. I think the natural look is great for anything, but for a FRY tank, you could get a little more creative than that. Especially if you have a young kid in your house, then you might be able to appeal to their liking. I also agree on the aquarium safe decor and all, but for those who dont live closely to a petstore, and for all the petstores that have barely any decorations, this is a cheap, efficent way to decorate, just as long as you take precautions and safety tips. Many a times, the ambitious decorator might take on a huge theme and might find the petstores a little lacking in what they need. thanks for all of your input, and i hope to see more posts soon!

IF YOU GET THE CD IDEA FOR YOUR TANK, BE SURE THAT IT ISNT THE BURNABLE CD, JUST THE PLASTIC CD COVER.

A new idea i just got is a diy city with sponge buildings, that are used for the Fry sponge filters consider that!

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
Post InfoPosted 03-Mar-2007 17:28Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 223
Votes: 255
female usa

While I appreciate your enthusiasm for new ideas on decorating tanks GobyFan, I doubt you will find much cooperation on this site. It's not that we don't want to cooperate, but I believe it to be more of different mind sets. Being older than you, I think most of us have already tried the experimenting ideas that you are are going through now. We've been there & done that......... to some extent anyway. So now most of us are into the more natural looking tanks.

But on the other hand, there are some of us that still like all the different store bought things that can go into an aquarium. While you may see someone's natural looking tank on here............ what they may not show you is the other tank that has the treasure chest, or the clam with the bubbles coming out or the little mermaid. Although some folks ARE brave enough to show those tanks. Brave may not be the right word. Let's say mature enough. If you know what you like & are mature enough to not care what other people think about it, that you will show it off.

I think most people with a fry tank are just happy enough to have the fry, let alone thinking about doing up the tank for them. You're young enough that you still have that natural energy to be creative about what you're involved in. Others on here are creative, but in a different way, like with their live plants.

I've heard of people like you though that earn a fortune decorating fish tanks. They create city scapes, or football fields, or parks or what have you, for rich people that want a certain theme in their aquarium. You might look into that subject on the net & see what you come up with. You might just end up with a good career doing that.

Meantime, if you explore the net & try to find people who have "differently" decorated tanks, I bet you can come up with some. In fact, I would be interested in seeing them when you do. I saw one before that reminded me of an underwater animated movie & another that had a city scape to it. Someone on here that has angelfish has a picture of her humongous castle in a 55g. tank, in the photo booth. Granted, it was store bought.

ANYWAY............ I wish you luck on your quest for ideas on decorating tanks! Who knows, maybe a few people on here DO have ideas on decor for tanks.
Post InfoPosted 03-Mar-2007 21:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
male usa
EditedEdited by GobyFan2007
Thanks Fish patty for your encouraging words. People who do have time on their hands, and have extra tanks, could consider this. Given the circumstances, i know most-if not all-people have lost their creativityjk and decided to go natural. Naw, the natural look probably is less stressing for older fish, but for fry they wont know. Anyways the natural look may look more interesting and mysterious and suspenseful, but for those whose eyes are bored with the same old look(reused ideas)then we could jazz up the tanks. As for the job, maybe that will be suiting for other people, but i plan to work in the designing field. Maybe when im older it will be a hobby. Funny, when i bought my 20 gallon, My dad had said "Youre going for the natural look, right." I agreed, only because it was cheaper to get natural stuff than the expensive fantasy stuff. And yes i agree that many of the decorations-bubbling clam, mermaid, no fishing sign- are kinda corny, but are original. I just got my fry in a tank after i changed my substrate, and found that fry are entertaing as they are. I only wanted ideas to my next batch of fry. -Goby

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
Post InfoPosted 04-Mar-2007 06:01Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Two Tanks
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 328
Votes: 13
female usa
I have a divided ten gallon (one betta on each side), with small printed vinyl coated wallpaper taped to the back glass for a backdrop, with a small canning jar for each betta to hang out in - a few fake plants and flat marbles as well. The jars are non-toxic and clear. The bettas love their jars. I don't know if this would work for fry, but don't know why it wouldn't. I tried using plastic spoons (for a domesticated kitchen look) but they kept floating to the surface - simple things used for cooking and food use (non-metal or electric)should not be toxic for fish. Even though I prefer the natural look, I have this one tank just for fun.
Post InfoPosted 09-Mar-2007 08:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies