SubscribeGuppies and in-breeding
stealth114
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 24
Votes: 1
male trinidad-tobago
EditedEdited by stealth114
Hey all.. Happ Easter... Got 30 guppy fry.. Coming along very well.... And 4 weeks after.. moma looks like she is gonna burst.. AGAIN. lol

I have a tank with 6 adults ( 5 males and the female who is the mom to these frys)

I got a real dilemma but I always been warned that I will end up with tonnes on my hands.. At one point my tank was so unstable and everyone was dying, now its the opposite and Im happy.. Many thanks to all the advice I have got here. The babies should be big enough in a months time to put in the current tank with the adults... But I want to prevent in breeding etc.. I dont want to have less resistant fish in generations to come.. I got a netting separator to keep the boys and girls separate..

And what I plan to do, when Im ready for more guppies, simply introduce a strange male or female from the LFS as introduce new genetic material.

I will like to keep the numbers stable . I know some folks keep the adulta and juveniles. I know as the numbers grow, I will need more tanks which I dont mind. lol

I now have three batches of fry from two adult guppies and within a few more weeks, I be able to identify their sex.

Do share your experiences. Be appreciated!

Thanks alot!
stealth

Hobbyists
Post InfoPosted 23-Mar-2008 05:14Profile PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
But I want to prevent in breeding

The only way I think you can prevent that and only once at a time is select a M or FM then buy a good mate breed, and from that select a pair then buy them mates see where I am heading BIG BIG numbers and many tanks until you can unload all the fry.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 23-Mar-2008 10:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
stealth114
-----
Hobbyist
male trinidad-tobago
Thanks alot Keith... Much appreciated..

What Im doing at present is separating the frys into male and female batches in the tank as fast as I recognise the respective gender.When they are mature enough, I will simply introduce an outsider M or F when Im ready for more. I agree, it will take alot of tanks as they keep multiplying. I want to maintain a fairly decent population but not one out of control. When the older ones do pass away, I will have more being constantly replaced..

Hobbyists
Post InfoPosted 27-Mar-2008 17:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
hey stealth. what i would recommend would be to get two separate tanks. one for males and one for the females. the male tank will just be there to look pretty. the females will be for breeding. when it comes time to breed, simply go buy an outside male or pull a male out of the male tank and drop him in with the females for a week or so. remove him and place him with the other males. then you simply can just alternate males by buying new ones or the ones from the male only tank. don't ever place a lone female with males. they will all try to mate with her and she will et so stressed that she could die! if you are going to try to get females in with the males you will need two-four females for every male! that means buying alot more outsiders.

also look into what keith said. go buy a high quality or show quality mating trio and start from there for best good results. then you could by yourself brred and sell these fish in the future (maybe earn yourself a bit of in the future).

we are always here if you have more questions!

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 28-Mar-2008 01:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Melos
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 2
female usa
One of my female guppies just dropped 21 fry last night. My first bunch.

I have a community tank with just 4 female guppies in it. They all came pregnant from the LFS.

Fish Mama
- 3/27 - my first guppy fry batch
Post InfoPosted 28-Mar-2008 18:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
stealth114
-----
Hobbyist
male trinidad-tobago
Brandeeno

Way to go.. thanks alot... That is exactly what I had in mind... A separate all male and all female tank and when I m ready just get a lone outsider to increase new genetic material.. I hear you on a single female getting stressed. I have a single female and I let her relax on her own all the time.. oh yeah, I had considered I can make a bit of cash from fish in the future.. not right now though.. Now how will you define a high quality or a show quality type mating trio? Where do you get those.. I get all my fish from fish breeders...

The juveniles are coming along so good..

Melos, best of luck with your fry..

Hobbyists
Post InfoPosted 29-Mar-2008 22:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Fish breeders are an excellent source for show quality fish, either directly or through auctions. The more expensive the fish, the more high quality they are... It never ceases to amaze me how much money people will drop on "just" guppies, lol.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 31-Mar-2008 05:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
you can reasearch show quality guppies or the like. one member here (for got the name!!!) gave me a great link, however i am not at home, so i cannot look into my history for the link sorry. the breeder i found was very high quality and the fish were as beautiful as they could be! some breeders may not have high quality, so ask your breeder about the high quality ones... they may not have any, or they could relay you onto a friend who could give you an even better stock!

also look into local aquatic auction... you would be amazed the beautiful guppies you can find...

also the big money is in the show quality guppies...

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 31-Mar-2008 07:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
stealth114
-----
Hobbyist
male trinidad-tobago
Thanks guys..... Shingami.. hows it go? Good to see you too

The fish dealers i get mine from, they got some really good varieties of guppies.. Like i said, Trinidad , the island got some amazing breeds of guppies... And scientist from all over come to study them .. Mostly found in the rivers of the Northern range... I havent ever seen or heard of sho guppies down here... But Im sure in the US, there are these fish auctions. Maybe one day I attend one.. Im sure I will go crazy with some of the breeds they got..

I dont think we got aquarium fish auctions where I am.. But the fish breeders can be found via word of mouth and the classifieds. They are a select few ; some do it full time others do it part time and the very good and experienced ones know how to breed high quality guppies.. Sometimes, in a tank you will spot tha little unusual one that really is a hard to find...

Hobbyists
Post InfoPosted 02-Apr-2008 06:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies