SubscribeHow can you tell
FishKeeperJim
----------
Big Fish
Member MTS Anonymous
Kudos: 208
Votes: 186
male usa
How can you tell when a platy is ready to give birth? I have two that are pregnant and I want to move them into a breeder to try and save the babies. When would be a good time to do this?

mts.gif" border="0"> I vote do you?
My Tanks at Photobucket
Post InfoPosted 03-Jan-2008 12:34Profile Yahoo PM Edit Report 
truestar

-----
Enthusiast
Young Pup
Kudos: 92
Votes: 147
male usa us-indiana
I have never kept Platys but I do have a Molly that has given birth twice. On my Molly, her stomach gets extremely big and I know that once that happens she will give birth within a few days. I thought I heard that you can tell by the gravid spot on a Platy (maybe this is for Guppies???), I think that you can see dark spots around it, these are the eyes of the fry. This could be for Guppies, I'm not totally sure, thought I'd through this out there anyways. Hope this helps, and congratulations!!!
Post InfoPosted 03-Jan-2008 13:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
EditedEdited by Shinigami
I'm pretty sure gestation in these fish lasts about a month, so if they've been pregnant for about 3 weeks already then birth is probably imminent within the next two weeks. Of course, the belly will get extremely large. I think a gravid spot develops in all species of livebearers, as this is the region where the eggs and fry develop; however, I am not sure if it is externally visible in all color morphs. For example, you probably won't see anything in black mollies. I am not sure about platies, though. Also, I've never been able to see the eyes of fry through a gravid spot, although that's just my experience. Not saying it doesn't happen, just saying I've never seen it.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 03-Jan-2008 19:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 363
Votes: 65
male usa
Well, i know when my swordstails are gravid, as they do have a triangular triangle right behind the belly, right next to the anal fin. Platys should be the same too, so i would wait and see if there is a spot on them....If you are worried, get a 2 or 3 way breeder, and put them in there. The fry will be safe that way, and the mother could chill out, until she is ready to rejoin the community again.

Good luck!

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
-----> View My Dragons <-----
Post InfoPosted 04-Jan-2008 01:10Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
dvd_wightman
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 10
Votes: 1
male usa
Since swordtails and platies are so closely related, what gobyfan2007 said is probably right. You can also just play it safe and go with what Shinigami said.

Tanks:
10 Gallon-2 Platies
Post InfoPosted 10-Jan-2008 05:55Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies