Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeHow many guppies to start?
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 285
Votes: 34
male usa
i wanted to do a live bearer tank which would be feeder fish for a larger predatory fish.i did this a few years back and became overrun, so i have to questions, firstly if i am told correctly a 1male to every 2 femal ratio is the best so the male doesnt over stress the females, and whact is a good way to manage the fry since my oscar cannot eat that many fish?
Post InfoPosted 30-Dec-2008 04:03Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
With many fish, you can prevent further matings, and thus more offspring, by separating the male and female. Unfortunately, with internal fertilization, livebearers can hold sperm to fertilize eggs within her over many broods. Thus, you can't really control how many babies are made.

My recommendation would be to find other ways to get rid of fry. One way would be to simply cull them. If that's not an option, you can bag them up and give them back to the store as feeders; unfortunately, livebearer fry is next to worthless unless you're breeding some fantastic strains. A third way is to get more predators. There are a variety of smaller species of predatory fishes such as leopard ctenopoma, South American leaf fish, and African butterflyfish, that can be kept in an aquarium as small as 10 or 20 gallons.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 30-Dec-2008 05:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
i heard a betta could take care of over population of the fry, i think this will work but woudnt the betta nip the guppies long fins?
Post InfoPosted 30-Dec-2008 06:04Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
You could start of with 1-3or4 and after the first lot of fry that count will be well out any way. Get a good size fish by its self but not big enough/variety to eat the adults and it will keep the population under control easily.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 30-Dec-2008 07:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jasonpisani
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 7215
Votes: 1024
male malta
3 to 1 is a good ratio with Guppy's. Some Livebearers will eat their fry & so I don't think that you're going to get overstocked. Oscars eat quite a few fish & so you'll be feeding him for free.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corydoras/
Member of the Malta Aquarist Society - 1970.
http://www.maltaaquarist.com
Post InfoPosted 30-Dec-2008 11:13Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
ok so in my 10 G i should start off with one male and 3 female?
Post InfoPosted 30-Dec-2008 19:38Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
fishkeeper225
Small Fry
Kudos: 7
Votes: 8
male puertorico us-florida
Don't get a betta fish he'll mistake the guppies for other betta and kill them
Post InfoPosted 25-Apr-2010 00:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies