SubscribeI bought some platies
pcktlnt
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 101
Votes: 0
male usa
Hi all,

I purchased some dwarf platies yesterday and it has been 24 hours. They seem to be used to the tank now, all 5 are swimming actively (10 gallon). I just have some general questions.

1) How do I get them to stop nibbling on the java moss and come eat their fish flakes?

2) Does anyone know how long dwarf platies live and if there are other colors other than red/orange?

3) Can anyone recommend a small filter for a 10 gallon. Apparently my current one is too strong for them. They hide in a corner behind the log if I have it full blast. I just pulled the tube up a little and its running quietly and fish seem to like the gentle flow (they are all swimming around the tank).

4) If I decide to put in guppies or a molly or two, will they end up trying to breed?

Oops, too many questions. Thanks for any answers. ^__^
Post InfoPosted 24-Apr-2007 02:48Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 363
Votes: 65
male usa
OK, I dont know if they will ever stop nibbling the plants, because i dont know if they can....... They like to nibble plants......

They will eat their flakes as they get acclimated. The flakes will fall and then they will eat them. Ive never heard of "Dwarf" Platies, but most platies have way many more colors than almost any single fish species i know. Now your tank will start to cycle soon, and some will most likely die. If your lucky then it wont happen. They might get gill damge though.....

What filter do you have? If you just fill the tank up to the lining so that the water level is hidden, then the force of the filter will be lessened. Dont buy a new filter, unles you want more or better filtration.

They will not breed with guppies or mollies, as they are of a whole different genus. Besides, a molly might just be pushing the stock limit. (There is a huge controversy over mollies and brackish or salty water).

Good precise questions, and dont be afraid or shy to ask too many questions. One time, i asked 5 questions in a sentence. That is too much, at least for me.

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
-----> View My Dragons <-----
Post InfoPosted 24-Apr-2007 03:59Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Kunzman96
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 91
Votes: 115
male usa
In response to question #3, I use a Whisper 20 HOB powerfilter on my 10 gallon QT/Fry tank. You will appreciate that it has a knob on the inlet tube that allows you to regulate the flow. Basically that is what you are going to want, anything with a flow control. Oh, Aquaclear filters have that option as well. Whatever you purchase be sure to get a filter for a 20 gallon tank that way you are sure to have enough filtration. Later!

"Talk is cheap. Action can be almost as affordable"
Post InfoPosted 24-Apr-2007 05:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
pcktlnt
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
Some more questions from reading the posts and watching my fish.

I just saw them eat flakes as the filter pushed it downward. I think they are getting used to me, not hiding when I stand in front of the tank.

I've already let my tank cycle for a month (not sure if that's long enough), but I'm watching the tank parameters and will be doing a water change soon this week.

If they don't stop nibbling the plant, will they become too bloated?

The filter I currently have is a hand me down HOB filter (Regent) so no clue what size it was meant for, but it looks small. Yea, I'm looking for a filter with a control knob, but now that I think about it, with the pipe up, the filter is still running, quietly too, so I'm happy.

After I mentioned the mollies, I went to see their max size, a bit too big for my 10 gallon ^__^. Since the dwarf platies reach about 1.5 inches, will I be overstocking if I try to get 10?

Thanks again.
Cheers
Post InfoPosted 24-Apr-2007 07:44Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Theresa_M

---------------
---------------
-----
Queen of Zoom
Kudos: 4280
Votes: 790
female usa us-maryland
I like Whisper filters as well. I think Top Fin/Tetra (PetSmart brand) have the adjustment feature as well.

Do you know the sex of your platies? Being a relatively new tank it might be a good idea to stay with the five you currently have. If there are any females chances are they're already pregnant...with adequate hiding places you might end up with more than 10 relatively soon!

~~~~~~~~~~~~
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
Post InfoPosted 24-Apr-2007 08:33Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
pcktlnt
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
Nope, I do not know the sexes of the fish. I tried following the sticky on the board, but they swim around way too much, if not, they hide in the plants. I was planning on getting more when I'm out of school (another two months). If they have kids, then woohoo ^__^.

I would show pics of them, but the camera is with my dad in scotland...

Cheers
Post InfoPosted 24-Apr-2007 20:22Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies