SubscribeJust a quick molly question.
dogmai333
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 79
Votes: 19
male usa
EditedEdited by dogmai333
I got four mollys from my dad when his spawned unexpectantly, they are still young but when they get older do I have to worry about any defects if these four just happen to spawn? And does anyone think that my 55 gal. is overstocked.

JACK - RED TAIL BLACK SHARK
GARY - SPOTTED LEAF PERCH
MOE - YO-YO LOACH
YO-YO LOACH
YO-YO LOACH
SPOTSWOOD - TIGER BARB
TIGER BARB
TIGER BARB
TIGER BARB
(4) MOLLYS

Thanks for any and all feedback in advance.

MONKEYS ARE COOL, BUT SEA-MONKEYS ARE BETTER.
Post InfoPosted 24-Mar-2006 06:23Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
If it is not over stocked now it soon will be once those mollies get going I dont think all those other fish will be enough to control all the fry.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 24-Mar-2006 07:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
seedkiros
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 270
Votes: 8
male canada
Just in case, I believe keithg was just being sarcastic Doesn't look overcrowded at all, and shouldn't be a problem. Hm...Don't red tail black sharks get pretty large?
Post InfoPosted 24-Mar-2006 08:40Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
bettachris

---------------
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 4173
Votes: 452
male usa
i agree with keith, as mollies are really not small fish, most people think they are only 2 inches, but they will get larger than that,

when you stock any tank with livebearers u must always expect to get overstocked as for the fry factor.

i would guess that your tankmates would eat the fry for good fry control, but i wouldn't really add anything else after the mollies.
Post InfoPosted 24-Mar-2006 23:30Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Just in case, I believe keithg was just being sarcastic

If it is not over stocked now it soon will be once those mollies get going

seedkiros It is extremly rare I every reply this way. If you read my reply carefully I did not say it was over stocked at all. I stated it soon will be with the Mollies.
I even mentioned the other fish controlling the fry. Too many years ago I did breed a lot of live bearers and it is very easy to get out of control as you always want to keep a particular fish as it looks good.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 25-Mar-2006 01:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
seedkiros
-----
Mega Fish
male canada
EditedEdited by seedkiros
Well, then it depends on what your definition of soon is. Some people think of 'soon' as say a week. That is too broad a word, especially in the aquarium hobby, where soon can be from a large range of time. And even still, what would you recommend as a good tank size for a community tank? I do not believe it will be overstock until maybe a year or even more. The more mollies, the more fry that will be eaten. Of course it depends on how many places there are for the fry to hide, whether it be ornaments or plants.
Post InfoPosted 25-Mar-2006 04:07Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Dogmia333
Sorry to do this to you but it seems lost its way. Did you fully understand my reply?

And even still, what would you recommend as a good tank size for a community tank?

OK my definition of "soon" might be a bit too general but it will happen adventually, that you must agree.

You can have a small 2-3ft community tank using the "1ins Rule" for convenience. And it will a total disaster if it does not have suficient and a good reliable filtration system. As we often see here on FP disasters caused by lack of just not looking after it correctly.

The thank sizes I have had over 35+years are a 3ft, 4ft, 5ft, 6ft and the small 11G desk top tank. All have been a community the 6ft was a SW reef.
One thing I have learnt over those years the smaller the tank the more work it can involve as far as keeping it running perfect.

Regardless of tank size it pays to have allthe best equipment you can buy, this is one thing many do not seem to worry about. Better equipment will give you better results and usually a longer life span.

As to my choice it would be a 6ftx2ftx2ft with an open cheque book to but only the best I could get.

Look here for my

Keith

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 25-Mar-2006 04:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
seedkiros
-----
Mega Fish
male canada
I actually mistyped. Meant to say good size community tank that houses mollies. In my opinion, it doesn't matter how large your tank is, theoritically, there will be no tank large enough to house all mollies in a community tank. Anyhow, personal opinion, 55 gallon will last you a long time.
Post InfoPosted 25-Mar-2006 10:04Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Janna
----------
Mega Fish
female usa
To answer the original question, I don't think you'll have any problems with birth defects just yet. Although inbreeding isn't healthy, it occurs quite a lot in many species of fish bred for the aquarium trade. You won't get defects unless it happens to an excessive degree.

They shade the glow of it with their mossy-misty costumes,
They wear masks of silk, porcelain, brass, and silver,
So as not to mislead with their own, ordinary faces.
Post InfoPosted 25-Mar-2006 20:59Profile AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
dogmai333
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 79
Votes: 19
male usa
Thanks for all the replies and I understood what you meant.

MONKEYS ARE COOL, BUT SEA-MONKEYS ARE BETTER.
Post InfoPosted 28-Mar-2006 06:27Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies