Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeNewbie! Guppies Or Platies?
heatherfeather
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 8
Votes: 1
female usa
hi everyone im new and this is my first post!

i have always wanted a fish been never had one, i have been looking for at least a year now at fish...

i was wondering which would be a better fish to start with a small group of guppies or platies or possibly both with an algea eater as well?

i have also been looking at the 12g nano cube..

so any help is better then none thank you!

"I'm not a Guppy!" - Flounder
Post InfoPosted 26-Jul-2006 11:14Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
Black_Envy
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 3
Votes: 0
female usa
Welcome to the hobby! Both guppies and platies are good beginner fish, but guppies in particular will breed like rabbits, so I would try to get only males if possible (females can be pregnant at the store), unless of course you were planning to breed them In which case you should have an extra tank for the fry to grow up in. For a twelve gallon, the most obvious choice for an algae eater would be otocinclus, but they are not for beginners, as one missed water change can kill them. Instead I would suggest some amano shrimp if you can get them, as they will eat most kinds of algae. Otherwise algae shouldn't be too much of a problem if you don't place the tank near a window or in direct sunlight.

Be sure to read up on cycling the tank first if you haven't already, and be sure to invest in some test kits, like amonia and nitrIte. There are other options instead of guppies and platies though, such as white cloud minnows, betta fish (remember NEVER to mix males in the same tank), harlequin rasboras, and cherry barbs. Just make sure and research any potential additions to your tank. If you have any questions about maintenance, stocking, or whatnot, just ask ^_^, and feel free to send me a private message at any time.

~Envy
~~Your village called.. they're missing an idiot.~~
Post InfoPosted 26-Jul-2006 23:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
That is a small tank and if you start off with three guppies 1 male and two females very quickly you will be having problems with over loading. Going for a ferw males is an excellent idea.

There are several posts here for beginners I strongly suggest you read them and then ask as many questions as you want. Please remember we were all beginners once and no question is ever stupid or silly.
I know nothing about that tank and therefore I will not even comment on it.
Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 27-Jul-2006 09:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
bettachris

---------------
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 4173
Votes: 452
male usa
like stated by keith,

a group of livebeares will overstock most small tanks. a single female can drop enough fry to overstock a 12 gallon.

i would try going with 5-6 all male guppies. They will be colorful and no fry to overstock a tank.

Now with an algae eatter, it depends on what type you get. The most common being the common pleco. but a pleco can get to over 24 inches and isn't good in small tanks. CAE or chinese algae eatters wouldn't work either. over 12 inches and very aggressive. Ottos would be your best bet, but since u never had a fish tank b4, it will be hard to keep the water quality in check.

So for now i wouldn't get an algae eatter as there really isn''t an purpose to have one now.
Post InfoPosted 27-Jul-2006 21:33Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
So_Very_Sneaky
---------------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2272
Votes: 201
female canada
Hi there,
considering how fragile commercially
raised Guppies seem to be these days,
Id recommend Platys.
Also, male platys dont fight as much as
male guppies do in an all male tank.
Male platys are also substantially smaller than
females.
Id recommend a Group of 4-5 Male platys of assorted
colors, or whichever color strikes your fancy. I like
the blues a lot. They will reward you with about
3-4 years of color and activity!
You could add a couple of Otocinclus cats once the
tank has aged and algae has grown for them,
or some shrimps of some kind.

Remember you cant just run out and buy fish and stick
em in the tank.
Id recommend a fishless cycle, though Platies are certainly tough enough to survive a cycle.

Come Play Yahtzee With Me!
http://games.atari.com
Http://www.myleague.com/yahtgames
Post InfoPosted 08-Aug-2006 09:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
zebra
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 291
Votes: 37
female usa
yesss..
i would def. recommend male platys.

from experience with both of them I have found that platys have more personality then guppies do.

i dont know why.. i have just seen that.

=]] good luck.

-kristin

~!!I lOve LiFe!!~
Post InfoPosted 28-Aug-2006 23:27Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
captain_dork
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 10
I disagree with ottos not being beginer fish.I am an idiot...and all of mine are fine. I have missed several water changes and theya re all fine. I think ottos are very hardy, I have even bought them from different lfs and they all seem to be cool with everything.Shrimp would be easiest tho...as long as u dun gravel vac them,move anything in your tank, or drop anything large in....ottos rock!
Post InfoPosted 29-Aug-2006 00:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Big E
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 382
usa
I like the male platy idea, too - especially variatus platys as I find them hardier and they can withstand cooler temps if you don't want to get a heater. Look for sunburst platys or ones specifically stating Variatus in the name.

One big benefit with platys is they'll munch aglae for you which I've not found to be the case with guppies.

Plus, I think platies have more personality. I have a puffer, breeding pair of kribs, have kept all sorts of high personality fish, and I still like platies...they're bright, fun, and personable fish.

Eric
Post InfoPosted 29-Aug-2006 04:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies