RNJ_Punk
---------------
Big Fish
Cory Fanatic
Kudos: 114
Votes: 137
male usa
UPDATE

The colony is doing well Queen did have a bit of fin rot that came along with some pandas I got but both her and the pandas are clear of it now. Queen is getting close to having her 3rd batch of fry....which has got me thinking of how many batches of fry she is going to have in the course of time that she is part of my life. So i got into doing the math and waht not and I decided she could have up to 60 batches of fry or more! while she is with me lol I was stunned.... But anyway..... her eldest son is now larger than the small male...but yet still gets bossed around by him.

BABY UPDATE

Babies are definately getting close to going into the 55 gallon I may put them in within the next few days. Queens babies colors are absolutly amazing me. They are bright yellow with bright orange fins they look like little fire balls. ....very proud.
Post InfoPosted 03-Jan-2007 07:10Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
RNJ_Punk
---------------
Big Fish
Cory Fanatic
male usa
UPDATE
Well Queen is in QT.
She is in there for ich It is gross. But clearing up. The tank got ich due to a heater that crapped out and I have noticed with platies and when I kept mollies that they are sensitive to large temperature changes. But luckily I had a spare STEALTH heater and it is really working great! I dont really see Queens fry in her anymore now that she has been in the QT and sick and what not soo I guess she absorbed them or something- I dotn know if they can do this I have just heard of it. But I guess we will have to wait for mre babies from her for a while. She is currently sharing the QT with a pair of Blue rams and the 10 fry. The fry and rams will go in with her whenever she gets over her ich. I am sure she is missing her huge spacious home lol.

BABY UPDATE
The babies are gettign VERY close to going into the big tank. Queens two babies are really pretty as stated in previous updates. They are getting a little more orange on there bodies now though. I am ver happy with there growth!
Post InfoPosted 07-Jan-2007 08:35Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
RNJ_Punk
---------------
Big Fish
Cory Fanatic
male usa
QUICK UPDATE

Queen is fully healed!!! She will go back to her colony tomorrow. The colony doesnt know what to do without her there....everyone is so idsorganized. There is un-approved mating going on and the larger female is bossing everyone around....guess hse was Queen for a day.

The small female had her 2nd batch of fry today....no recorded survivors.

Babies are all doing fine still.
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2007 05:57Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
crazyred
---------------
-----
Fish Addict
LAZY and I don't care :D
Kudos: 360
Votes: 293
female usa
Nice read....I missed this somehow....probably holiday madness. Good to hear your babies are doing good.

~~Melissa~~
"Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder."
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2007 18:00Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
RNJ_Punk
---------------
Big Fish
Cory Fanatic
male usa
UPDATE

Ok well as of a few days ago the whole colony is in the tank. The total amount of babies left is 6. Those are including Queens 2 fry. Today Queen dropped her thrird batch and man did everyone pig out. It was sad. But the colony is already at 13 so I dont want more kids. I watched Queen drop a few of them and then she would immediately turn around and gobble them up. So as of today the only pregnant one is the large female. Queen is getting old but her rein is still going on as Queen...no sign of anyone taking her place.

Well I am kinda getting tire of reffering to them as "large female" or Queens baby" so I need help getting better names for them.

Large male-?
Small male-?
Large female-?
Small feamle-?
Queens oldest kid-?

I guess the current fry will get names later. I will begin taking pics next month
Post InfoPosted 14-Jan-2007 06:24Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Kunzman96
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 91
Votes: 115
male usa
Are there any characteristics that you can use to give you ideas for names? What kind of platys are they again? My first thought is to continue with the royalty titles.

King
Prince
Queen
Princess
Jack

Just a fun idea!

"Talk is cheap. Action can be almost as affordable"
Post InfoPosted 14-Jan-2007 21:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
RNJ_Punk
---------------
Big Fish
Cory Fanatic
male usa
Kunzman, I actually really like those names!

As far as characteristics go:

Large male- Sunset Coral, crooked spine, very fat and peaceful.

Small male- Sunset Coral, Tiny, slim, very mean towards Prince, loves the ladies.

Large Female- Mother of 6, 1 batch of kids, pregnant, Sunset Coral, Peaceful, like to be alone, very healthy, hates the small male.

Small female- Smaller than large female, Sunset coral, 2 batches of kids...no survivors, peacful, very cute and pretty.

I think I will just call Queens oldest fry Prince...Thanks Kunzman!/:'
Post InfoPosted 14-Jan-2007 22:16Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
RNJ_Punk
---------------
Big Fish
Cory Fanatic
male usa
Ok so today I gave away the large male and the small male to a freind who is setting up a tank. I also gave away the female molly to another freind who has a brackish setup. So now the colony is down to 11 and the prince can take his rightful place without that little male always bugging him......Just a small update everyone!
Post InfoPosted 15-Jan-2007 23:26Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
RNJ_Punk
---------------
Big Fish
Cory Fanatic
male usa
Looks like the larger female will be giving birth in the next few days. I really doubt any fry will survive until I get more plants for the tank. Like said before in my posts all I have is java moss, anubias nana, and ancharis. There is alot of java moss for them to hide in though!
Post InfoPosted 16-Jan-2007 06:02Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Kunzman96
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 91
Votes: 115
male usa
Glad to help! This whole log is reminding me of a Roman, or medieval romance novel anyways. Lol

"Talk is cheap. Action can be almost as affordable"
Post InfoPosted 16-Jan-2007 07:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
RNJ_Punk
---------------
Big Fish
Cory Fanatic
male usa
UPDATE

This is going to be my last update until I get my new camera. I just think it will alot more interesting.

Ok so not much has been going on. Queen seems to be getting older but she still is ruler. The larger female gave birth. The fry all got eaten. I thought one might make it becasue I saw it go into a clump of java moss but a few minutes later I say my feamle blue ram in the moss and he has not bee seen since. The kids are doing great there is one that is all red it is really cool looking...the only all red one I have. Also Queens two other kids are doing fine. The kids get chased every now and then...mostly around feeding time but no one hase been hurt or eaten. Most of the time they are just annoying the other fish. I have seen two of the kids fighting...forming a hiarchy? But that is pretty much all that has been going on.....the next update will hopefully have some pics!!!
Post InfoPosted 21-Jan-2007 20:23Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
RNJ_Punk
---------------
Big Fish
Cory Fanatic
male usa
UPDATE
Ok so alot has been happening here in the platy world and I'm sorry to say none of it is good at all. A strange illness spread among about half of the babies. All came out of it fine- I guess thats good! Anyway about a week ago the larger female was killed by my LARGE male blue gourami defendign his empty bubble nest. It was sad and grusome. And just a few days ago we lost the smaller female after she was trying to give birth to her 3 batch of babies. It was also sad....and she doesnt have any babies to pass on her genes. All fry are doing well after the got over thier illness. Queens two are doing very very well- they didnt get the illness. Prince is getting bigger and aslo doing great. Queen is at her prime. She looks as beautiful asever lol. I think it is from the amount of weight taken off her from the two larger feamles dieing. Anyway I will get my camera in a few weeks so I will have pics soon for everyone who reads this.
Post InfoPosted 05-Feb-2007 22:33Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 223
Votes: 255
female usa

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate circumstances.

I was just thinking about you the other day........ seemed it had been awhile since you posted. Awaiting the pics.
Post InfoPosted 06-Feb-2007 03:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 363
Votes: 65
male usa
EditedEdited by GobyFan2007
Re: Platy Punk

I Have A Platy Colony too! Only that the babies have all survived. How Long do the babies take to grow large enough to not get eaten? if you do want to save the babies, then put in river rock substrate, as well as gravel and etc. because the little fry will hide in there, and all the un eaten food and gunk will be eaten by the larger fry. thanks again!

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
-----> View My Dragons <-----
Post InfoPosted 18-Feb-2007 07:26Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2, 3
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies