SubscribePlaty behavior
MtbGirl
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 19
Votes: 0
female usa
EditedEdited by MtbGirl
Recently we had to treat our tank for ich. We did the two-week treatment and, luckily, have not lost anyone. However, within the past few days, one of our platys (Pikachu) has been acting strange.

He won't eat and he hangs around on the bottom of the tank, hiding under the driftwood, rocks or plants. When he's at the top he floats near the back. He seems to occasionally pick at the rocks or driftwood as if he's eating something. This morning he seemed to pick at the food when it was feeding time, rather than eating with gusto like he used to.

Other than that he doesn't seem sick, he hasn't changed colors and has no signs of ich. He's swimming fine, just a little slower than usual and his fins seem to be tucked down rather than splayed out.

This may sound funny, but he almost seems depressed, just moping around the tank. We're not sure what to do... any suggestions or maybe some ideas on what the problem could be?

Our other platy, Pumpkin, seems fine.

Our tank: 45 gallons
7x Cardinal Tetras 7x Black Neon Tetras
7x Glowlight Tetras 2x Ottos 2x Ghost Shrimp 3x Spotted Corys 3x Panda Corys
Post InfoPosted 01-Jan-2008 02:50Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
To start of with a two weeks treatment is no where enough. The whole tank has to be treated by that I mean the ich could still hatch from the substrate.
Did you do use any carbon while treating or use it to remove any medications after the two weeks?
How long since you stopped treating for Ich (Date)?
It would also help if you provided all water parameters of the tank, take a good water sample to your LFS and get a full test done.
The Platy could also be suffering from a stress related problem as well.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 01-Jan-2008 06:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
That sounds similar to what happened to a couple of my platies a few weeks ago... I lost them... Good luck with saving him!!!!

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 01-Jan-2008 08:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Gone_Troppo

----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 196
australia au-northernterritory
As Keith mentioned, water quality parameters would be really useful.

I found our platies were the first to wane when our nitrates were out of control, doing almost exactly what you describe... they just weren't quite "right" but nothing obviously wrong with them.

This may not be the case with your platy, but water parameters are the first thing you should be checking.

Good Luck

G_T

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Post InfoPosted 01-Jan-2008 10:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
MtbGirl
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
We just stopped the treatment last night and we are now using a carbon filter to remove the medication.

We're wondering if it's stress as well, since our other platy and all the other fish seem fine. This morning Pikachu ate a piece of food floating towards the back of the tank.

We'll keep our eye on him and have the LFS check the parameters ASAP.

Post InfoPosted 01-Jan-2008 16:50Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
MtbGirl
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
Well it seems Pikachu is back to normal, swimming about and eating like the little piggy he is... We think he might have been stressed from the frequent water changes we were doing during treatment. We're glad he's okay!

Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2008 01:14Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies