Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribePlaty question
Kaschic
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 5
Votes: 0
female usa
Hi, I'm new to this forum, I've lurked some and never posted. I've tried other forums though. I have a community 29 gallon tank with mollies and platies and a few others. However, currently I only have a pair of platies. My mollies are breeding constantly and everyone is thriving so I know my conditions must be at least somewhat favorable. I would love to get my platies to breed and so far they haven't. I was wondering do I need more than just one male and one female to get them to breed? I know that's all it requires , but I was wondering if for some reason this pair just doesn't like each other well enough to do that? I'd appreciate any feedback anyone has on this. Thanks in advance.

Kelly
Post InfoPosted 21-Jun-2006 20:44Profile PM Edit Report 
crazyred
---------------
-----
Fish Addict
LAZY and I don't care :D
Kudos: 360
Votes: 293
female usa
You might want to give it a little more time and add another male and a few mor females. I had a trio of platies (2 F, 1 M) in my tank for some number of months and they never had any babies for the longest time, then, I added another trio of the same ratio and before you know it I had platy babies coming out of my ears.....and I still do. I had to move them to my 55 and hope when my angels get a little bigger they will take care of the fry because I'm running out of tank space and friends to give them too.

~~Melissa~~
"Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder."
Post InfoPosted 21-Jun-2006 20:53Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
bettachris

---------------
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 4173
Votes: 452
male usa
best advice is to wait, u really cant force them.

once they really get going, they should breed like ur mollies so give them time.
Post InfoPosted 21-Jun-2006 22:15Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria

Kelly
If the Molies are breeding it should be the right conditions for the platies. What size are the platies also get at least one/two more female other wise the male will drive the single female crazy.

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 22-Jun-2006 03:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kaschic
-----
Small Fry
female usa
Crazyred ~ I had to at running out of tank space and friends to give them to, because my hubby is already panicking about me getting into that situation with my mollies. However, so far I have enough people to give them to that that hasn't happened. I'm really wondering if the key is to get a few more.

bettachris ~ I've been waiting and probably will wait, or at least wait till I get a few more platies to add. Oh well it would send my hubby into a panic if I had any more fry right now.

Keithgh ~ The platies are smaller then the mollies but they're full grown to the best of my knowledge. I've had them since about March or April ( gee I should start log books on my fish tanks ). I was wondering if maybe he drives her nuts, after all I know my molly males drive the women nuts too.

Thanks for all of the input guys. I'll basically sit back and see what happens and next time I'm near a good pet store I'll get a few more female platies. I'll just sneak them in the tank and hubby will never know until I start having platy babies like the mollies. That is one habit I have is sneaking fish in and hubby never notices.

I think I'm going to like this forum.

Kelly
Post InfoPosted 22-Jun-2006 04:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mughal113
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 160
Votes: 64
male pakistan
EditedEdited by mughal113
hi there...
just a couple of points from my experience. Platties dont get as swollen as the mollies do when about to deliver, and the fry are also much smaller. May be they are breeding and the fry getting eaten un-noticed
the same was the problem i had with my fancy guppies. the male was the most beautiful guppy ive ever seen but it was insane it was always trying to inseminate mollies and never showed any interest in its own type and the guppies never got loaded...i just added another male and wooohooo...the females were about to burst in just 20 days
Post InfoPosted 22-Jun-2006 11:12Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Kaschic
-----
Small Fry
female usa
Hi mughal ~ I was wondering if perhaps that might be going on and I might not have noticed. I do have good hiding places in my community tank though I was thinking about adding some more plants or a breeding mat just in case. Thanks also for telling me they don't get as swollen as the mollies. I'm new at this and wasn't sure just how big they do get. I actually feel for those poor mollies when I see them so swollen. at your guppy male trying to iseminate everyone else, guess that's what you call playing the field.
Post InfoPosted 22-Jun-2006 14:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mughal113
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 160
Votes: 64
male pakistan
EditedEdited by mughal113
hello
well i use a breeding net and put it there when im sure she's gonna let loose in the next 24hours..need a lot of experience and watching to determine that point though...
platties can drop the fry prematurely if stressed, so it wud serve no purpose separating her before time...
good luk
Post InfoPosted 22-Jun-2006 17:17Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies