Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribePregnant platys
Bar-B
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 27
Votes: 18
female canada
I bought several (all female) platys and they keep on having babies I think for the second month now. Can someone tell me how often one can have them and without a male more than once?

120 GAL. Community Freshwater (2 huge mated angles, 2 German rams, Red tail shark, 2 Pearl Grammies, 3 Bushynose Plecos, Swordtails

110 Gal. (3 Koi Angles, 3 black marble viel tail Angles) 20 Neon tetras, 1 red tail shark, 3 clown loaches, Platys
Post InfoPosted 14-Dec-2007 06:39Profile PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Simple answer where they with males before you bought them? The answer is 110% sure they were. Not have livebearers for many years but reading many postings on live bearers I would say at least two and by the time the second lot of fry arrive they young ones are already breeding or very close to it.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 14-Dec-2007 07:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Bar-B
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 27
Votes: 18
female canada
whew I'm glad I'm not a FM livebearer fish then!!!!

120 GAL. Community Freshwater (2 huge mated angles, 2 German rams, Red tail shark, 2 Pearl Grammies, 3 Bushynose Plecos, Swordtails

110 Gal. (3 Koi Angles, 3 black marble viel tail Angles) 20 Neon tetras, 1 red tail shark, 3 clown loaches, Platys
Post InfoPosted 14-Dec-2007 07:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
I think it is a maximum of 5 batches for most species, but don't rely on that.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 14-Dec-2007 09:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jasonpisani
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 7215
Votes: 1024
male malta
Yes, i also read that it takes 5/6 months to stop the Platy's from giving birth without a male. Most Livebearers are like that & usually the ones you buy from the LFS are already pregnant.

ps. you can always raise the fry & give them for free or else leave them in the tank & only the fittest wil survive.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corydoras/
Member of the Malta Aquarist Society - 1970.
http://www.maltaaquarist.com
Post InfoPosted 15-Dec-2007 10:05Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies