could i put swordtails in with a severum
Post InfoPosted 07-Nov-2006 03:22Profile PM Edit Report 
Corydoran
----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 370
Votes: 1217
male usa
Yes, if it is your intention to keep on severum.
A breeding pair will be aggressive and swordtails might get caught in the crossfire of two dueling males.

To reduce the risk of aggression, make sure there is plenty of space for everyone.
Post InfoPosted 09-Nov-2006 18:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Tanya81
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 419
Votes: 37
female usa
They would make a great dither fish! Severums, can sometimes be shy fish, with my experience at least, and this can give them some comfort to move around confidently in the aquarium. remember to keep the ratio of swords 1male to 2-3 females for full happiness!

72 gallon bowfront:Tanganyikan Lake set up
75 gallon: A. Baenschi trio,Cyanotilapia Afra Cobwe(4), copadichromis trewavase, protomelas sp. tangerine tiger(breeding pair)
Post InfoPosted 10-Nov-2006 20:29Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
venustus
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 2
Votes: 0
male usa
what do you feed baby swordtails
Post InfoPosted 12-Nov-2006 02:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Tanya81
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 419
Votes: 37
female usa
if they are fry, or young swords, crush up flake food finely!.. that's all I had ever done with live bearers, and they survived just fine.. make sure you also if you can get a veggie flake(spirulina) as these guys are herbivores, but standard tropical flake is fine,, just crush it up a lot!

72 gallon bowfront:Tanganyikan Lake set up
75 gallon: A. Baenschi trio,Cyanotilapia Afra Cobwe(4), copadichromis trewavase, protomelas sp. tangerine tiger(breeding pair)
Post InfoPosted 12-Nov-2006 18:10Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
venustus
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 2
Votes: 0
male usa
how do you tell if they are pregnant other than them getting fat
Post InfoPosted 13-Nov-2006 03:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
aaronfry
----------
Hobbyist
?
Kudos: 55
Votes: 159
male usa
i have had a pineapple swordtail fry a couple times and for the first week i feed them Liquifry and also leave few Anacharis plant inches in the hatchery which i leave in the tank. As for telling when there pregnant they get fatter they develop little spotts above just above their anal fin also when they are ready to give birth they stopping eating for a day or so and their bellies start to flatten out along the bottom and. With my pair the male tends to hang out on the other side of the tank just before birth. Its good to have a hidden area of the tank for the femal to feel save in before she releases the fry. This is what i have seen and read it may or maynot be for all swordtails but i would assume it would on slightly vary if at all. Depending on you tank mates you can realese them after 4 weeks and let them grow with out stunting them. Just remeber to realse them a few a time over the course of a night or else your fish my thinks its feeding time and they may eat a few

"No whammy, No whammy, No whammy, STOP!!"

1984-Michael Larsen On Press Your Luck
Post InfoPosted 21-Nov-2006 19:21Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies