Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeWhat is up with my platies?
Rookie_Boy1
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 27
Votes: 0
EditedEdited by Rookie_Boy1
Some of them have clamped fins, some of the ones who don't are attacking the ones who do. some of the platy fry I have in the plastic breeder have clamped fins too. the other fish, Guppies, tetras, An angel, cories, Khuli loaches german rams are fine. they are in a 29g.
What do you think?
R_Boy1
Thanks in advance!
Post InfoPosted 07-May-2007 14:23Profile PM Edit Report 
Gone_Troppo

----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 196
australia au-northernterritory
Hi

If you are able to, please post details of water quality parameters (especially pH, ammonia, nitrIte, nitrAte, temp), how long the tank has been set-up, your routine prior to appearance of symptoms etc. Basically as much information as you can possibly provide will help us get an idea of what is going on.

Until a little more information is provided, I'm not willing to even hazard a guess at the problem.

Good Luck

G_T

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Post InfoPosted 07-May-2007 15:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Rookie_Boy1
-----
Hobbyist
Hi..
The tank has been set up for four years,
25% water change every week, but had not been changed for.. 4 1/2 months. But new water had been added since the water level dropped last year significantly.
temp is 80.. But I do know the water in my area is hard.
that's all I know. sorry!
I will get an test kit asap.
Thanks.
R_Boy1
Post InfoPosted 07-May-2007 16:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Rookie_Boy1
-----
Hobbyist
Hi..
I went to the LFS and bought a test kit and tested the tank water.
The results are:
PH - 7.0
Ammonia - 0.6
Nitrites - 0.3
Nitrates - 50
so what do you think now?
Thanks.

R_Boy1

Post InfoPosted 07-May-2007 17:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Lindy

---------------
----------
Administrator
Show me the Shishies!
Kudos: 1350
Votes: 730
female australia au-victoria
Water quality issues.

Your nitrate is too high. You will need to slowly reduce that by doing 20% water changes every couple of days. Normally I would recommend daily changes but because they have grown used to this amount of nitrate over the 4 months of no water changes, changing it quickly could kill them. Idealy it should be 10.

For the ammonia and nitrite issues I suggest feeding less... ie until the problem is under control every second or even third day. The fish will be okay and it will reduce the amount of ammonia and nitrite being produced. Once you have ammonia and nitrite under control ( zero readings) start doing gravel cleanings to get rid of excess waste in the gravel.

Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Post InfoPosted 08-May-2007 00:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Gone_Troppo

----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 196
australia au-northernterritory
Hi again,

I agree with Lindy, your fish are almost certainly showing the stress of poor water quality.

When we had an episode of high nitrates in our tank it was the platies that displayed signs of stress before any other, they were also the slowest to recover (some never fully recovered).

It does seem strange that your rams have not displayed any signs of stress. Anecdotally, rams are notoriously sensitive to less than perfect water quality particularly elevated nitrIte levels.

Registering amounts of ammonia nad nitrIte in a tank that has been established for 4 years is a bit of a concern. The presence of these two nasties are an indication that the tank is cycling or has been sent into a mini-cycle due for one reason or another(ie there are not enough of the good bacteria that convert harmful ammonia to slightly less harmful nitrIte and finally to the least toxic of the three nitrAte).

The nitrogen cycle FAQ on this site may be of interest to you as a bit of background information on the cycling procwess:http://www.fishprofiles.net/faq/begin-cycling.asp

As Lindy mentioned, frequent water changes until the readings are back into normal levels will be the most effective method for relieving your current situation.

G_T

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Post InfoPosted 08-May-2007 11:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Rookie_Boy1
-----
Hobbyist
Okay, thanks to you both, I know what's going on and what to do. Thanks again!

R_Boy1
Post InfoPosted 08-May-2007 19:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Rookie_Boy1
-----
Hobbyist
Hi..
All the platies are back to normal even the fry.
I tested the water again:
Ammonia - still 0.6
Nitrates - 20
Yayy!
R_Boy1
Post InfoPosted 10-May-2007 11:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Lindy

---------------
----------
Administrator
Show me the Shishies!
Kudos: 1350
Votes: 730
female australia au-victoria
EditedEdited by Lindy
Thats great! Keep us updated.

Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Post InfoPosted 10-May-2007 23:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies