L# pregnant mollie?
 Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribepregnant mollie?
1st_signer

Hobbyist
Kudos: 49
Votes: 1
male usa us-california
i purchased a few mollies from the pet store like on sunday and ijust noticed that the female is kinda fat she dosent seem sick like with that weird disease my live bearrers tend to get her scales arnt poping out shes eating normaly and seems to get along nicely with every one but i put her in a quarinteen tank just to be safe but i wanna know how i can tell if shes pregnant or not beacause shes black so i cant really find a black spot on her. so any ideas?

>>>>>>a learning experience as an aquarist can be fun but you must be ready to take and obey advice and criticism but most of all be patient<<<<<<<
Post InfoPosted 07-Apr-2010 00:24Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Wait a month and you'll know.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 08-Apr-2010 05:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Dangerous Dave
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 179
Votes: 3
male australia
IME livebearers are either giving birth or pregnant.
Good advice above, wait a month and see. I wouldnt worry if the first spawn are eaten, there will be plenty more and you will be better prepared to isolate the female prior to giving birth.
Post InfoPosted 08-Apr-2010 11:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Some times I often think some Guppies in particular are born pregnant or it seems that way.

If you do not want them to have fry when they are young you will have to separate them as soon as possible.

You can buy fry nets which you hang over the side of the tank.

Plenty of top cover will also help them to survive. A plant like Floating Water Sprite (Indian Fern) is excellent for that purpose.

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 09-Apr-2010 03:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
1st_signer

Hobbyist
male usa us-california
EditedEdited 10-Apr-2010 02:55
I got sum of that like moss that covers the tank floor and sum elodia and some breeder traps but i think ill let them live in the tank for a while so that they can thin out then and ill try to seperate out the ones that wont survive and dispose of them (humanly) and put them in a tank to let them grow and some of my friends want sum to beacuase its 2 femails that look pregnant

>>>>>>a learning experience as an aquarist can be fun but you must be ready to take and obey advice and criticism but most of all be patient<<<<<<<
Post InfoPosted 10-Apr-2010 02:54Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
1st_signer

Hobbyist
male usa us-california
EditedEdited 12-Apr-2010 06:38
well she fainally laid today but now i dont know what to do with them therys like 20 i was able to save i put them in a small flotaing plastic container in my tank (my quarintene tank is in use at the momment) and i need to know what to do help!

Post InfoPosted 12-Apr-2010 06:37Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Livebearers are born fully-developed. You can feed them crushed flakes (so that the pieces are small enough for them to handle). Just make sure to keep the plastic container clean. Keep on top of water changes as you now have 20 more fish in the tank eating and pooping.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 12-Apr-2010 22:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
1st_signer

Hobbyist
male usa us-california
yea today while i was in school my mom put them in a bigger jar and tied them to the lid to keep it from bobing to much and sinking ima do a water change evey day replacing the water with aquarium water and the guys at my LFS said when thery about 1 inch long if theyr in good shape he'll buy them thnaks for the help just throw any advice u got b/c this is my first time actually keeping fry and i need help so shoot

Post InfoPosted 12-Apr-2010 22:51Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
1st_signer

Hobbyist
male usa us-california
like how offten should i feed them though?

Post InfoPosted 13-Apr-2010 00:35Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I would feed them only once a day and give only the smallest amount.

The Floating/fixed fry tank should have holes to allow a water movement and any left over food should fall through.

Remember their stomach will be smaller than a fine pin head.

Keith

1st_signer

Where did you get this from?
It is so true, if you stay around for a while and start helping others you will soon learn no matter what you do some just know better and will never listen or take advice.

It is a pleasure to help some who listens and does take the advice given.

a learning experience as an aquarist can be fun but you must be ready to take and obey advice and criticism but most of all be patient

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 13-Apr-2010 01:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
1st_signer

Hobbyist
male usa us-california
EditedEdited 13-Apr-2010 02:11
I thought that up but thanks evryone ill keep in mind all you tell me i got a neddle a made holes in it

Post InfoPosted 13-Apr-2010 02:11Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies