AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# Planted Aquaria
  L# 12 Gallon Sand Bottom Planted Setup
   L# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
 Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribe12 Gallon Sand Bottom Planted Setup
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 1074
male usa
The tank currently has a big piece of driftwood with java moss in the crevices. One anbuias in the left rear (I think it's an Nana, but I don't know my anbuias, first one I ever had) and of course some wisteria cut from my 72G.

The following specs apply:

12Gallon Eclipse
13 watt cf light
Pool Sand substrate

It is currently housing two ramshorn snails and abou 10 guppy fry. I plan on putting kuhi or other small loaches to help churn up the sand alittle. Maybe some shrimp. As far as scaping, I'll have to see where the mood takes me.
I'm going to dose alittle excel and would like some other recommendations. I might decide to retro the light to get to 2wpg. Here's another pic:

tetratech attached this image:

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:43Profile PM Edit Report 
bensaf

---------------
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 1315
male ireland
Smaller crypts like Willisi or Parva will work in the back corners/side.

The top half of the tank is completely empty. Suppose it depends how you end up using the driftwood. But tall crypts like Retrospiralis or Balansae will give height at the back if you want.

Some days you're the pigeon and some days you're the statue.

Remember that age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 922
Votes: 69
male usa
To my eyes, tetra, it looks like you have a fine shellie tank in the making

Add some shells to the bottom right and add some crushed coral to the filter.... do it do it do it...

It does look very nice though, kind of minimalist. Reminds me of my shellie tank (below), which I think is why your tank looks so ripe for a few multis or brevis. Heavy on the left side, lots of open space on the right:

NowherMan6 attached this image:

Back in the saddle!
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
I think we're on the same page, I did originally have the wood higher, but it was unstable. I agree now that I added the rock mound that little piece of wood doesn't do anything anymore. It originally looked like a smaller piece of the main piece coming through from the sand. I'm not in love with the rock pile in the corner I think it takes away from the focus. Thanks for your input.

Last edited by tetratech at 19-Oct-2005 08:40

My Scapes
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
Kudos: 1997
Votes: 670
male usa
Did some drawing:

How about if you change the angle of the wood in addition to the other things mentioned?

Ingo

LITTLE_FISH attached this image:

Proud Member of the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Now the rocks look like they are needed to support the wood .

I would say that you should replace some of the larger rocks with smaller pebbles, in particular the ones that reach the front of the tank. How about placing some of the rocks in the right backhand corner?

What’s up with that little piece of driftwood underneath the big one?

That is quite a large Ramshorn you got there.

Ingo

LITTLE_FISH attached this image:

tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Took both of your comments (Bensaf - scatter some pepples) and LF - Rock in upper left corner) and tried to created a more natural mound. I think it's getting there.

BTW - I like to work with a big pieces for a more dramatic effect. Maybe I should have used fewer but bigger rocks.

My Scapes
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
nitpicking
Nitpick away. I always want comments, etc pro or con.

Filter intake:
Yes there is one to the left, but it's black. With a black backgrond and dark pic you don't see it. I also putting in some kuli loaches and a few dwarf corys to keep the gravel stirred up a bit. I did cut the intake alittle shorter to prevent gravel from going inside.

Peeples to the left:
It was harder than I thought to get a good arrangement of the rocks, I didn't love the left corner either. I don't think this is final yet.

Left side is too loaded:
With the wood pointed jutting out like that I think it would be tough to put anything on the right, unless it's something really short. Any suggestions on low growing plants in lowlight. I know Bensaf suggested Narrow leaf.

rjmcbean, thanks for your comments. I think many of us go through the fish thing and they get into the aquascaping thing.`

Last edited by tetratech at 19-Oct-2005 06:10

My Scapes
rjmcbean
----------
Hobbyist
Like a Farmer
Kudos: 75
Votes: 415
female usa
Very nice!!

I am not brave enough to try anything like this yet. My tank has one fake plant for decoration and few live little ones. I am still at the point where i would rather have more fish than plants though. I will eventually aquascape more, but, I think that will come with a bigger tank.

"it's the neck, it creaks under the weight of too much heavy thinking."
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:43Profile AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
tetratech,

I like it too, but here are some comments and questions (list ):

- I cannot see a filter intake. Did you remove it for the picture or is it this high up in the tank? If the latter is true, aren’t you concerned that the bottom might become stagnant?
- I don’t like the few pebbles all the way to the left. Somehow I have the feeling that they will fall down the slope any second, meaning naturally that is what would happen over time in a river.
- It’s a shame you had to take out the Wisteria as its color difference created an instant focal point.
- From a distribution perspective (aquascape), I think the left side is too loaded while the right side is all empty.

I hope you don’t mind my nitpicking, but there is nothing major that I could complain about .

Ingo

Last edited by LITTLE_FISH at 19-Oct-2005 04:36

bensaf

---------------
-----
Fish Master
male ireland
Yep, I like it too. The rocks add some interest. You can try scattering a few small pebbles around too.

tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Bensaf,
Well after hearing your comments, I went back and looked at the tank and I wasn't too happy so I gave a shot at it with the rocks. Here's a before and after pic. Haven't added any other plants yet, but I think it looks better. The ramshorns were trambling the wisteria so I took it out.

My Scapes
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Thanks for the comments. I "really" do like that idea with the rock mound. Love to have branchy driftwood, just can not find it anyway around here. I actually had the driftwood laying around from my old 46g. I'll have to try and get some narrow leaf.

Yep. The pool filter sand is really not that much defintely in size than my eco. Varied pieces and looks good.

Last edited by tetratech at 18-Oct-2005 07:58

My Scapes
bensaf

---------------
-----
Fish Master
male ireland
I don't think you'll have much problem with the pool filter sand. The really fine grained white sands would cause more problems.

The size and shape of the tank is screaming out for a mound arrangement.

Put the wood (although I'd change that piece for a less solid more branchy piece) sitting on some nice rocks. Age up the wood with Fern (narrow leaf, narrow leaf !!!) and Anubias. Some Moss covered rocks around the bottom. Maybe a crypt or two in the rear corners. Voila , a very very nice, low light, very low maintenence set up. A few small rocks scattered around the base of the mound or in the rear corners, keep the couple of inches of foreground at the front totally clear will give you a very natural river bank effect. Wood, rock with aclear froreground is prety much what you'd see in nature anyway

tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Couldn't let you guys have all the fun with your three lush tanks and Bensaf's desktop computer paradise and put it in your face rescaped 65-70g amano-like wonder

This tank will be sort of an experiental project. Never used sand before. I know you can't make it too deep or you will have alot of anaerobic activity. The slope to the left actually has some rocks underneath to hold it up and give it some air pockets. As far as the plants the anubias isn't planted in the substrate and of course the java moss. I'll probably add some javafern if it fits in. I'd like to get a bunch of sand loving loaches to keep things active. I also raised the intake of the filter so sand doesn't easily get in there.

My Scapes
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Nice tetratech,

Now you are creating another tank behind our backs (Bensaf and mine) ?

I know little to nothing about sand substrate. Isn’t it really hard to have any plants that rely on substrate fertilization?

How about adding some Java Fern ( Windelow sp? )?

So far, looking good

Ingo

tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Thanks Theresa,
Actually I found the pool sand to be quite clean. I rinse it in a bucket and poured out the water several times and it was pretty much clear.

I'll probably eventually give the guppies a new home.

My Scapes
Theresa_M

---------------
---------------
-----
Queen of Zoom
Kudos: 4280
Votes: 790
female usa us-maryland
I like it

Did you find the pool sand difficult to rinse? I just set up my first sand-substrate tank...a 5.5g for a pair of shellies so it doesn't have much in the way of aquascaping.

I think the kuhlis are a good idea. Will you leave some of the guppies in or are they only temporary?

~~~~~~~~~~~~
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:43Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
One more closer look. See the two ramshorn. I think they're in love.

My Scapes
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
EditedEdited by tetratech
I ended up with an extra tank a few days ago because my son said he didn't want his 12g in his room anymore (needs more room for his stuff was the excuse) so I decided to revamp it into a sand bottom lowlight tank. I always wanted a sand bottom setup and I felt this was a good way to test the water (no pun intended). Here's a pic:

My Scapes
# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies