TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Kudos: 278
Votes: 338
female australia au-newsouthwales
Hi Shane

Your tank has come a long way. I like the river you've created with the stones. Looks great.

What type is the new gravel? I do like it better than the previous - I always like dark gravel.

I know there are lots of people who prefer no background, but I always like a solid black background on a tank. Just my opinion. I think it adds depth.

Look forward to seeing your next update.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 04-Sep-2007 15:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fishmonster
----------
Big Fish
Oh My Heck!
Kudos: 88
Votes: 73
male usa
Robyn

Unfortunatly due to PH problems i have had to remove those stones from the tank as they were raising the PH. I am thinking of looking for some sand stone maybe or something that wont raise the PH. As far as the background is concerned. I havent decided what im doing with that yet. I have a background on my 10 gallon and it looks takky. So i might remove that also. I have seen people paint their tanks black or blue, again i dont have a decision on that at this point.

Thanks for your input as always, Shane
http://thetanklog.blogspot.com/ - [ Thanks to ScottF ]
http://www.natureaquariumclubofutah.com/main.html
Post InfoPosted 04-Sep-2007 20:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
My tanks new tanks are all painted black.

I don't like backgrounds that have picures on them (eg planted scenes, etc). Only dark black or maybe dark blue. After always going with black paper backgrounds in the past, I am pretty well sure of my decision to paint this time, instead of papering.

Anyway, you have to like so you should set it up however your please.

Have fun

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 05-Sep-2007 12:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
Kudos: 83
Votes: 242
male australia
Shane , so you've taken lots of action to fix your problems . How have the fish gone
during all these changes ? All ok I trust .?
How is the water testing now . Stable ?
You have been thru a tough time , I hope its all coming together for you now .

Garry
Post InfoPosted 06-Sep-2007 14:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 223
Votes: 255
female usa

Have you found anything for your new redecorating yet monster? So sorry to hear about your rocks having to go! As you know from us talking in chat, I loved the look of those rocks in there! I hope you can find something light colored again, as I think it goes good with your dark substrate.

Commenting on backgrounds, you could try something quick, cheap & fun? I put tin foil on the back of one of one mine, & I rather like the look!

I wish you luck in your redo! Post pics when your done.
Post InfoPosted 06-Sep-2007 20:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fishmonster
----------
Big Fish
Oh My Heck!
male usa
Well guys, this has been a long time comming, So its been a while since my last update, i have been working my butt off at work and i havent had alot of time to sit down and work on my tank nor my log. So tonight i went and did some work on the tank. I had some plants growing in my 10 gallon, i used the hornwort to establish the tank and i have had several other plants in there growing.

So tonight i decided to change things up a bit and see how it goes. I spoke with a few people in chat because i have been having a browning issue.

However my Vals are growing strong and have lots of babies. Infact they are almost as long as my tank now.

So i decided to redo the tank. So i started by splitting the Vals and moving them back to the left side of the tank. I also moved the DW and the Bolbitis there also. I added the nanas under the DW as i thought they wouldnt be shaded for some time. I also added a plant behind the nanas aswell but not sure what it is.

I then Moved the crypts to the center of the tank and split the Ludwiga another new plant. Not sure what it is at this point. However it has been growing well in my 10 gallon.

On the right side i added two sword plants and split the wysteria per some advice to see if they would grow better and fill out.

So here are a few shots of the full tank at angles and in the dark.

Before

After

Post InfoPosted 19-Sep-2007 07:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fishmonster
----------
Big Fish
Oh My Heck!
male usa
So now my 10 gallon is pretty bare as far as plants but i still have some in there.

Also what is this floating plant?

Post InfoPosted 19-Sep-2007 07:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
male australia
Shane , good job , like what you've done with the hardscape and the plant placement
looks really interesting . Can't wait to see more pics as the plants grow in .

Well done mate ,BTW how are the fish, all ok with tank params now ?

Garry
Post InfoPosted 19-Sep-2007 12:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
female usa

I also like your hardscape, especially the rocks on the right.

That plant looks very similar to the duckweed that I have in my tank. I'm sure someone will come along with the right answer though. Thanks for the update.
Post InfoPosted 19-Sep-2007 14:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
Kudos: 138
Votes: 13
female usa us-massachusetts
Shane:

this going to be a really great looking tank when the plants have grown in, good job! I am looking forward to see it mature. However, be careful with these floaters - how big are the individual plants? I hope it is not ordinary duckwood - I am having a hard time gettimg rid of this pest as it covers the surface within two or three days after removal.

Claudia
Post InfoPosted 20-Sep-2007 07:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Gone_Troppo

----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 196
australia au-northernterritory
Hi FM

I love the new scape.

The dark substrate looks great (makes the plants look more vibrant IMO) and the new hardscape arrangement makes more of a feature of that funky twisted driftwood. That DW is a fantastic almost sculptural piece that was not as evident in previous arrangments.

Well done. Looking forward to see how this lastest look develops over coming weeks.

G_T

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Post InfoPosted 20-Sep-2007 10:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
I agree with the other comments, that's a nice improvement you've made to the scape. The tank is looking good

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 20-Sep-2007 13:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fishmonster
----------
Big Fish
Oh My Heck!
male usa
Hey Everyone,

I would like to first answer some questions.

Shane , good job , like what you've done with the hardscape and the plant placement
looks really interesting . Can't wait to see more pics as the plants grow in .

Well done mate ,BTW how are the fish, all ok with tank params now ?

Garry
Garry i havent lost anymore fish since i changed out the rocks. Thanks for the comments.

I also like your hardscape, especially the rocks on the right.

That plant looks very similar to the duckweed that I have in my tank. I'm sure someone will come along with the right answer though. Thanks for the update.
Patty, im not sure if it is duckweed or not. But its been there in the 10 gallon a month and i barley took out a handful and it only has an 8th of the tank covered right now.

this going to be a really great looking tank when the plants have grown in, good job! I am looking forward to see it mature. However, be careful with these floaters - how big are the individual plants? I hope it is not ordinary duckwood - I am having a hard time gettimg rid of this pest as it covers the surface within two or three days after removal.
Claudia, The individual plants are maybe 3 inches in size. However the Vals have to be at least 2.5ft long as they are up the entire 20Inches of the side and about halfway across the tank.

GT, Robyn, thanks for the great comments. Infact thank you all for your comments and questions. I hope to take some new pics in the next week or so. So far not alot of changes. But Im hoping for some in a few weeks.

Thanks again
Shane

Post InfoPosted 24-Sep-2007 04:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fishmonster
----------
Big Fish
Oh My Heck!
male usa
Hey all,

So here is an update of my tank.

So far no real major growth. Have started to add Flourish every other day, and Excel twice a week at 1/3 a dosage. Reason for that is that i dont want my Vals to melt as i have heard from others.

The brown has started to go away on my wysteria. I have started my second job so hopefully in a few weeks i can improve the lighting on the tank.

I Also added about 15 fishes. I added 5 Black Skirt Tetras to fill i the school. I also added 5 Julis to keep the pandas company and I added 6 Ottos to the tank also.

Here are a few pics of my Fishies and my tank..

My Rams are always nosey.

Here is a pic of the tank at last update

Pic of the Tank now

Post InfoPosted 08-Oct-2007 04:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
Lovely pics, Shane

but you will have to increase the dosing of the excel to see some real growth and don't worry about the melting of the vals. I am constantly removing vals from my tank and they are taking over again despite excel to the max every day.

The Bolivian rams look particularly cute, I hope you will be more lucky with them now that you have the new substrate.

Claudia
Post InfoPosted 08-Oct-2007 05:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
Kudos: 1997
Votes: 670
male usa
Interestingly, your fast growers in the last two shots seem to be almost of the same height, do I see that right? Did you trim them in between or are they not growing?

Shane, the tank looks nice, albeit it does not have enough plants for my taste, but this should be no secret to you

Adding 15 fishies, hm, at once? That is quite a change in load and may have an impact on the tanks attempt to stabilize. Keep your eyes open!

Ingo

Proud Member of the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club
Post InfoPosted 08-Oct-2007 16:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
female usa

Looking really good Shane. I think you have a good eye for decorating.
Beautiful little rams. Did I read you have 2 sword plants in there? I sure hope they don't as big as mine did!
I wish you continued luck with this tank.
Post InfoPosted 08-Oct-2007 17:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fishmonster
----------
Big Fish
Oh My Heck!
male usa
Hey Guys, thanks for the replies. Ill comment on each.

Claudia
Lovely pics, Shane

but you will have to increase the dosing of the excel to see some real growth and don't worry about the melting of the vals. I am constantly removing vals from my tank and they are taking over again despite excel to the max every day.

The Bolivian rams look particularly cute, I hope you will be more lucky with them now that you have the new substrate

Thanks for the comments, i am slowly increasing the excel so that the Vals can get used to it. I am having my mother in law do dosing every other day. And the Excel is being increased to that also this week. Thanks again on the bolivians, i have not seem to have had any more ill effects on my tank however my PH has leveled out at 8.0 now.

Ingo
Interestingly, your fast growers in the last two shots seem to be almost of the same height, do I see that right? Did you trim them in between or are they not growing?

Shane, the tank looks nice, albeit it does not have enough plants for my taste, but this should be no secret to you

Adding 15 fishies, hm, at once? That is quite a change in load and may have an impact on the tanks attempt to stabilize. Keep your eyes open!

I dont know what is going on with my fast growers in the corner at the back. They were browning off and then they came back and now they are starting to brown again. Im not sure if i need to cut off the tops and replant or not. Id like to hear your thoughts on this. Also adding 15 fish at once has not had an ill effect on the tank at all. I added the fish on thursday, did a water change on the tuesday and Ill be doing one on wednesday also. My Params have been awesome now for over a month straight. I havent seen the nitrates above 5.0 I was thinking that is why the plants were not growing anymore as they had gone through all the nutrients given out by the fish.

As far as enough plants. I am wanting to grow out the ones in there to see how that goes. If you look at an earlier post i have some more growing in my 10 gallon which i was able to stablize also with fast growers. Thanks again on that info.

Fish Patty

Looking really good Shane. I think you have a good eye for decorating.
Beautiful little rams. Did I read you have 2 sword plants in there? I sure hope they don't as big as mine did!
I wish you continued luck with this tank

The swords are in the front right corner opposite the vals. They are doing well. Im hoping they will grow large so that in time i can replace maybe the wysteria or the vals at the back so its filled in more.

Thanks again all for your input.

Post InfoPosted 09-Oct-2007 08:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
My Params have been awesome now for over a month straight. I havent seen the nitrates above 5.0 I was thinking that is why the plants were not growing anymore ...

Good thinking! So you basically say that plants were growing with unstable params and now that they are stable (meaning no or little nitrates and possibly all the other goodies missing as well) they don't? Go figure

I think you answered your own question,

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 09-Oct-2007 14:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
male australia
Shane , excellent photos Mate , the one's of the Rams are so clear . Well done.
Sound's to me like your plants need some Macros at least .I've been keeping my
Nitrates at about 10ppm ocassionally 20ppm .
As Ingo intimated you at least need N,P,K , taken care off to use up the
Excel( Carbon) your increasing .I use Seachems Ferts as well as excel and it seems to be working well .

I'm so glad your tank has stablilsed for you,although 8.0ph is still a little high.
But its obviously working well for you.

Are you going to start transferring some of those plants in the 10g into this tank?

Look forward to some more close ups of the plants and fishies.

Garry
Post InfoPosted 10-Oct-2007 13:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fishmonster
----------
Big Fish
Oh My Heck!
male usa
EditedEdited by Fishmonster
Hey Guys, Thanks for the input.

I have increased the Ferts to every other day and using all 3 ferts.

I am using Iron, Phosporus and Excel currently as those were the ones I am using. I am adding 1 cap of each which is for 10 gallons on the excel and 30 gallons on the other two. I am having my mother in law add the liquid ferts as its just filling up the cap and dumping it in the tank. She has been really good on the food and has understood my instructions perfectly. She even called me today to make sure she was doing it right.

Also Ingo, im dumb and not sure what you mean btw....

Garry, what do you mean by?
Sound's to me like your plants need some Macros at least .I've been keeping my
Nitrates at about 10ppm ocassionally 20ppm .
As Ingo intimated you at least need N,P,K , taken care off to use up the
Excel( Carbon) your increasing .I use Seachems Ferts as well as excel and it seems to be working well .

Also how do you keep up the nitrates apart from holding off on WC's?

Post InfoPosted 11-Oct-2007 05:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Also Ingo, im dumb and not sure what you mean btw....

Shane,

You are not dumb, you just don't do you research. Seriously read up on macros and micros (ferts, that is).

Enough with the harsh words

I was reading your evaluation on plant growth and tank stability. There is a direct correlation (or at least it seems like there is one to me from what you wrote) between the two, meaning you had growth while being not stable and none when stable. For me, that clearly indicates that your stability is not in favor of the plants. Don't think I am saying you should be unstable, instead you should evaluate what made the plants grow in the prior state and then correct the current state to accommodate these needs without making it unstable again.

Makes sense?

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 11-Oct-2007 14:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
male australia
Shane , N= Nitrogen ie nitrates , Seachem make a Nitrogen fert , K= Potassium.
Seachem also make a pottasium fert . You should go to the Seachem site and have a
look at their suggested fert schedule . It will help . You don't have to follow it exactly .
You will also need to take care of the micros through either the use of Florish or
Florish Traces .

So to Recap N= Nitrogen , P= Phosphates , K= Potassium are the macros you must have .
I judge both Nitrates and Phosphates by testing . API and Seachem make good test kits
for both of these . Potassium & micros is judged by watching for deficiencies in your plants.
It's a bit of science and a bit of an art .
Of course if you want to go all out at it you can read the EI system that a lot around here use .

The above works for me , hope this helps .

Garry
Post InfoPosted 12-Oct-2007 11:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fishmonster
----------
Big Fish
Oh My Heck!
male usa
Thanks for the input guys....

Ingo, i seriously did not know what was meant by macros and micros. It could have been economics for all i knew. Know you guys have told me and which ferts are in which group i can research them more.

Just so you guys know I am dosing Excel, Iron and Phosporus every other day right now. I am seeing growth on the plants with brand new leaves and different places on the plants. I am also seeing new plantlets on some of the Ludwiga and on the Wysteria.

So right now the ferts i have seem to be working well. I did my first WC in two weeks and the Nitrates were barley above 10ppm. The Phosphorus was minimal and 0 nitrites and ammonia.

Shane

Post InfoPosted 15-Oct-2007 06:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
RNJ_Punk
---------------
Big Fish
Cory Fanatic
Kudos: 114
Votes: 137
male usa
Hi Monster,

Seems the tank is doing great and you arel learning alot! I am very proud.

About the rams,

They look amazing! very healthy! and it looks like you ahve a pair. Love may soon be in the air.
Post InfoPosted 16-Oct-2007 05:30Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
fishmonster
----------
Big Fish
Oh My Heck!
male usa
PUNK DUDE!!!!

long time no talk....

You think i have a male and female there? I cant tell myself. Anyways yeah the tank has come along way. Im hoping to see some good healthy increases with the added ferts.

Shane

Post InfoPosted 17-Oct-2007 22:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fishmonster
----------
Big Fish
Oh My Heck!
male usa
So just a quick update this week. I am continuing to Dose the Ferts every other day. I am seeing slight melting in the Vals from the Excel but nothing to be really worried about.

So here was the last image i have

Here is the new Image

I am especially impressed with the growth in the Wysteria which is where I was worried the most.

As you can see i am getting alot of new leaves on the wysteria and the swords in front are doing better also.

I am seeing a lot more growth now. The ludwiga is doing really well and i am seeing a lot of new shoots.

Its interesting to see how the tank went from this

To This

Post InfoPosted 25-Oct-2007 05:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
female usa

Oh yeah! Vast improvement! Beautiful tank! I definitely want to see pics when it's all grown up.
Post InfoPosted 25-Oct-2007 22:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
male australia
Shane , Good stuff mate , sounds like your on the way to a nice lush looking tank . Shouldn't take too long either .

Well done .

Garry
Post InfoPosted 26-Oct-2007 07:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fishmonster
----------
Big Fish
Oh My Heck!
male usa
Thanks for the input guys, i really appreciate it all. I have some questions tho. The Vals are getting rather long and they need to be thinned out some. What would be the best course of action for these as i know you dont cut the leaves down.

Also The wysteria. Should i be removing the longer section of the stems so that the roots that are growing out of the upper section of the plant dont have as far to reach the substrate?

Thanks in advance

Shane

Post InfoPosted 28-Oct-2007 21:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
Hi Shane:

The Vals are getting rather long and they need to be thinned out some

That is exactly why I want to replace mine with C. balansae! Okay, this is what I did today: I removed the longest leaves from the bottom of the plant (hope you understand what I clumsily try to explain). If you have a lot of runners, you may want to remove the tallest and oldest plants entirely and just keep and replant the runners (clip them apart). However I am not sure what you are referring to regarding the Wisteria. Are the stems long and thin without much leaves at the bottom parts? I would cut those and replant the shortened stem. Otherwise, you can trim Wisteria like other stem plants (hmm, at least that is what I keep doing).

Hope this helps, Claudia

P.S. Your tank is quite lovely and such a great improvemnt from your first set up. Congrats!
Post InfoPosted 29-Oct-2007 03:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fishmonster
----------
Big Fish
Oh My Heck!
male usa
Yes claudia, you are correct in thinking that some of the stems are long with no foliage at the bottom of the stems. I will go ahead and cut the stems shorter. However if they have new growth at the bottom, can i pick that off and let it float for a while to allow roots or for it to grow bigger?

Shane

Post InfoPosted 30-Oct-2007 19:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fishmonster
----------
Big Fish
Oh My Heck!
male usa
Sooo......

It has been along time since i posted in this log as well as the forum iteself. For that im sorry. I have been working two jobs which i am still doing and my primary job has been going crazy so i havent had time to sit down and write a post. Unfortunatly my tanks have been let go a little also. However what i have done is upgraded my lighting and my 10 gallon to a 20 gallon high tank. I have got lots of plants now and lots of algae in the 35 gallon of which i have no idea on how to fix or do with. So I have decided that i am going to redesign my tank and try and keep the plants alive while I make sure that i have all the nutrients I need and basically start over with my plants. I am going to do my best to clean them. I have also added the algae squad from AZ gardens to my 35 gallon to see if that will improve the algae issue for the time being. So one of these days Im going to remove all my plants and hardscape and re design it. So i need some ideas and Help. I havent been doing the nutrients right and so Im wondering if plant root tabs would be better than liquid. I have CO2 canisters for both tanks but im worried about setting those up correctly. Basically they are DIY but commerically purchased. So I would like somehelp. Hopefully I can actually sit down and research what i need to. Thanks for your time and I appreciate your Input.

Shane

Post InfoPosted 16-Feb-2008 01:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
male australia
Shane ..good to see you back mate ..Hope work lets up for you soon so you can begin to enjoy the finer things in life again . Like Fish Profiles .

Can't wait to see some photos of your new look .

Garry
Post InfoPosted 17-Feb-2008 11:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fishmonster
----------
Big Fish
Oh My Heck!
male usa
EditedEdited by fishmonster
So here is some up to date info on my tanks:

Wattage of lights
20 Gal 24" 65W & 35 Gal 36" 96w
Kind of lights (normal flourescent, compact flourescent etc)
Compact Flouresant 10,000 K Bulbs

What species of plants

35 Gallon
Wysteria
Anubias Nanas
Bolbitis
Broadleaf Ludwiga
Anachris
Dwarf Green Acorus
Dwarf Onions
Sagittaria subulata
Crypt Walkeri
Java Ferns
Crypt Balasne
Crypt Wendetti
Unknown Swords
and another unknown Plant

20 Gallon
Wysteria
Anubias Nana
Jungle Vals
Blood Stargrass
Japanese Fans
Dwarf Lily Plant
Dwarf Onions
Ambulia
Tall Sagittaria subulata
red-spot Ozelot sword
Crypt Walkeri
Java Ferns
Unknown Plant

How many plants (tons of plants, or just a few?)
35 Gallon has lots of plants, 20 gallon has a medium amount of plants

Substrate
35 Gal has eco complete , 50lbs
20 Gal has flourite 40lbs

CO2 levels (if you are adding CO2)
20 GAL i hal Florish excel every day 1 cap
35 gal has DIY kinda CO2 that is not measured

Nitrate (NO3) levels
20 Gal last nights check was at 5ppm
Phosphate (PO4) levels
20 Gal last nights check was at 0

35 Gall tests i dont have yet as I forgot the tools to test. Will test monday

Fertilizer schedule (if you add ferts a schedule is a must)
trying to follow the Seachem schedule posted on their website

How many fish (tons of fish or just a few?)
35 gal has about 40 inches of Fish. 20 Gal has 5 barbs, 5 Ottos and about 10 shrimp.
Both tanks have nerite Snails

Kinds of algae you are seeing
In 35 gal which is worse im seeing black bearded algae mostly and then alot of hair algae
in 20 gal none as of right now but im wanting to avoid that problem

Pics of 35 Gallon

Unknown sword is in background:

Unknown Sword and unknown plant is on the left:

Middle tank shot

Full Tank Shot

Post InfoPosted 18-Feb-2008 04:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
Very nice Shane!

One thing I'd like to suggest (at least for photos) is a background as it will show of the details of the tank better. Otherwise: well done. A few more fish maybe?

Claudia
Post InfoPosted 18-Feb-2008 06:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
male australia
Shane I agree with Claudia ...a background would be good . The plants all look pretty healthy to me so well done . If I may be permitted a suggestion ...the Scape looks a bit all over the place ..perhaps a bit of a focus area either using your hardscape or a blank area might help to give some depth to the tank .

Just a thought .

Garry
Post InfoPosted 20-Feb-2008 13:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fishmonster
----------
Big Fish
Oh My Heck!
male usa
Claudia,

Yea i know i need to get a background on there, I have yet to figure out a secure way of attaching it unless i paint. How do you do yours??

Same Question goes for garry aswell.. As far as the layout is concerned yes it is all over the place, I need some ideas on how to clean it up LOL.....I need time to sit down and draw it out me thinks.

Thanks for the input and keep it comming. Shane

Post InfoPosted 20-Feb-2008 18:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fishmonster
----------
Big Fish
Oh My Heck!
male usa
Update-

The tanks are doing okay right now. I found out I lost a SAE in one of my tanks today which is sad and I lost another otto in my 20 gallon also. I checked the main params and found 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites and only 5 or less Nitrates which is great. MY Ph is at 7.8 and steady which is a good thing on the 20 gallon. But i dont understand why im loosing fish in the 20 gallon. Its not overloaded. I havent added any ferts to the 20 gallon for a while and I am seeing some decent growth in my older plants. The new ones seem to be settling in and I made some drawings today of what I want my two tanks to look like.

This is drawing for my 35 Gallon

The are rough drawings but it gives you guys an idea of what im wanting to do. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Post InfoPosted 25-Feb-2008 06:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fishmonster
----------
Big Fish
Oh My Heck!
male usa
So Im still having troubles with the Algae but im hoping the additions to the tank are helping out. Here are a few shots

Bolbitis, still engulfed in the BBA

Same with my ludwiga

Here is a current Full tank shot

Here are some shots of some of the inhabitants
SAE

Some of my Black Skirts in another bolbitis shot

Post InfoPosted 26-Feb-2008 08:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
EditedEdited by TW
Yea i know i need to get a background on there, I have yet to figure out a secure way of attaching it unless i paint. How do you do yours??
A background would make such a huge difference to your tank. With my older tanks, I simply taped the aquarium black background onto the back of the tank (with black electrical tape), which worked well. With a small betta tank, I tried a method I read here, where you rub baby oil on the back of the tank & this keeps the background in place. I found this only works for a while. The oil drys out & the background peels off.

My new tanks are all painted black on the outer rear wall. Yes, it means I can't change colours anytime I feel like it, like Ingo can with his dramatic red background, but I like black, so I'm happy.

Good job with the sketches - I find that so hard to do.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 28-Feb-2008 15:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
bratyboy2
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 340
Votes: 1
male usa
nice work im excited to see it all grown in
Post InfoPosted 02-Mar-2008 09:27Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
fishmonster
----------
Big Fish
Oh My Heck!
male usa
So I completed the makeover of the tank from the drawings. the river looks pretty well and the plats all look good in the tank with the rock formations. I had some problems with the onion plants so we will see how they go. I will try and get photos soon.

Post InfoPosted 03-Mar-2008 01:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fishmonster
----------
Big Fish
Oh My Heck!
male usa
So there were some big, BIG changes in my tank this week, as i said earlier I have redone the tank. So first of all here is the old tank

Here is the New Look Tank

As you can see I have tried to stay with my drawing the best I could. The only change I made was adding the rock to the left.

Left Side

Middle

Right Side

Does anyone know what this plant is by any chance????
Its a Stem plant that has largish leaves that plantlets grow off the main stem. It has a thickish stem and has lost very little lower leaves.

BTW, how do you keep the Onions from floating away? Have you added weight to them so that the roots can grow in?? Even when i plant them deep into the substrate they still seem to be able to float back up. Any ideas??

Post InfoPosted 04-Mar-2008 07:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fishmonster
----------
Big Fish
Oh My Heck!
male usa
Here are some pics of the inhabitants. First of all my Julis

Post InfoPosted 04-Mar-2008 07:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fishmonster
----------
Big Fish
Oh My Heck!
male usa
My Siamensis loves hanging out with the julis.

Post InfoPosted 04-Mar-2008 07:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fishmonster
----------
Big Fish
Oh My Heck!
male usa
Peek A Boo I see you

Post InfoPosted 04-Mar-2008 07:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fishmonster
----------
Big Fish
Oh My Heck!
male usa
You cant see me right??

Post InfoPosted 04-Mar-2008 07:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fishmonster
----------
Big Fish
Oh My Heck!
male usa
I guess you can photograph me while im chillin

Post InfoPosted 04-Mar-2008 07:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fishmonster
----------
Big Fish
Oh My Heck!
male usa
This was taken right after the redo, you can see all the hardwater spots on the glass

Post InfoPosted 04-Mar-2008 07:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
Giant hygro from what I saw in the picture is my guess, also referred to as Green Temple (Hygrophila corymbosa) if memory serves me right. How long do you think will your 'river' look tidy?

Thanks for the nice pics of the inhabitants, expecially of the bolivian rams. In the full tank shot it appears to be almost empty, how deceiving.
Post InfoPosted 05-Mar-2008 06:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fishmonster
----------
Big Fish
Oh My Heck!
male usa
Claudia

Its cos they all hide for some reason. Probably because all the children are over making noise and it scares them.

Thanks for looking

Post InfoPosted 05-Mar-2008 08:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
nice change Shane. All is looking good. Nice fish pics too

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 05-Mar-2008 13:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
EditedEdited by Shinigami
Love the new setup... I'd really like to see everything grow in, it seems like it could be a very nice design.

BTW, you have trilineatus, not julii. Trilineatus are often sold as julii.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 05-Mar-2008 20:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
bratyboy2
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 340
Votes: 1
male usa
not to be mean but i kinda loved the old setup better but i kinda like the new one maybe when the growth starts coming in my opinion will change
Post InfoPosted 08-Mar-2008 02:43Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
fishmonster
----------
Big Fish
Oh My Heck!
male usa
Thanks for the replies guys,

TW & Shinigami Im hoping it will grow in well now. right now im not adding ferts. I want to see how the plants grow. Not only that after I started adding ferts before i got major algae outbreak.

So I will see how it does with just the light, but any tips on preventing the algae would be awesome.

Bratyboy, thanks for your opinon, what did you like about the previous setup?

Post InfoPosted 12-Mar-2008 02:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 12-Mar-2008 02:13
This post has been deleted
# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies