Subscribe46 bowfront tank log
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I have a Coolpix 4500 at the start of taking tank photos it was difficult.

Those cameras are fool proof.
The secret is set it on Auto that is what it is there for. Use the Macro setting when ever possible. Be patient, sit down and relax think about what you want to photograph, be prepared to keep about 10% of your photos to start off with.

I did several camera courses and it was regually stated "The camera makers spend millions trying to perfect the ""Auto"" setting so use it.

Also it was stressed a good computer like Adobe Photoshop will do most of the adjustments you require.

Have a look in my Photo Bucket for some of my photos.

Have a look in [link=My Profile]http://
www.fishprofiles.com/interactive/forums/profile.asp?userid=6741" style="COLOR: #00FF00[/link] for my tank info

[link=Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tanks]http://photobucket.com/albums/b209/keithgh/Betta%20desktop%20tank/" style="COLOR: #00FF00[/link]

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:42Profile PM Edit Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
Kudos: 1997
Votes: 670
male usa
Oh,

And I almost forgot:

I get my dry macro ferts from [link=Here]http://www.gregwatson.com/" style="COLOR: #ff6633[/link], namely KNO3, potassium sulfate, and potassium phosphate.

My micro ferts are of recently the Tropica Master Grow (TMG) that I ordered from Big Al's.

Hope this helps,

Ingo

Proud Member of the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
going to change most of or my entire plant slection once the c02 and ferts and lighting gets set up

But I hope that you have a good plant load before you add whatnot CO2 and whatnot ferts, right?

What plants do you envision anyways ?

Ingo

saltnewbie
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 168
Votes: 1
male usa
Hehe, well right now I am just using some SeaChem liquid fert but I am going to order some better ferts hopefully preety soon I heard they are preety cheap too right?..Anyone have a link to the ferts you would reccomend??..

I am not going to be aquascaping anything too much right now because I am prolly going to change most of or my entire plant slection once the c02 and ferts and lighting gets set up (some time next week when it all gets here)
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:42Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Ok,

Lights are coming -
CO2 Unit is on the way -

Time to talk about Fertilization

What do you know about this "topic"?

Ingo

tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 1074
male usa
Salt,
If you use the 110w and the new 65w you will have about 3.6wpg. With that power comes alot of responsiblity. Are you really for that?

BTW - The focal is too much on that javafern. You should get rid of the most unsightly leaves and plant along the length of the driftwood pieces. Right now it looks like a java shrine. You already have a budda :88)

My Scapes
saltnewbie
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
well, I am going to put the 24 inch hood on my glass lid like in front of the canopy..and I will sttempt to disassemble the mounting legs so it lays flat..also, I ordered it so I can have a total of 175 watts which is like over 3 WPG so Glosso here I come..gtg tho teacher is coming lol
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
saltnewbie,

I cannot get the first link to work. How about describing the product and the parts that it comes with?

The light, not my favorite to be honest with you. Here are some thoughts:

- The unit is 24” long. How long is your 46G bowfront?
- The legs are most likely useless, unless you have an open top tank. These kinds of legs cannot lock into the frame if you have a glass top as the inner part would have to go through the glass.
- The light comes with a 50/50 bulb. Did you order a freshwater bulb as well? Actinic light is completely useless in freshwater tanks.
- It seems that the moon lights are not included.
- 65W gives you less than 2wpg. Did you order 2? Or are you planning on using it with your existing light? If so, why – you already have 110W – and how would you set it up?

Eagerly awaiting your reply,

Ingo

saltnewbie
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Just ordered the semi-automatic pressurized c02 system from Dr.Fostersmith! its on sale for 107$!!..Heres the link if your interested..

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...&N=2004+113779

So exciting I finally took the plunge!..I also ordered some new lighting.. a single 65 watt compact flouresent hood w/ bulb for just 40$..Great price IMO even if it is made in sweat shops.. Heres the link to the lights I oredered if your interested..

http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=132
saltnewbie
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
The intake is an aquaclear 200 and the filter on the right is a penguin bio-wheel..I'm not entirely sure why the intake is so short so I always try to collect as much of the gunk as I can that colllects on the bottum..Thanks for the reply LF, I'm glad you like the diff. in both photos.
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
saltnewbie,

What a difference a day makes .

I think it looks soooooo much better already (even when NOT considering the advancements you made in handling your camera).

One quick question: Is there any particular reason your filter intake is so short? I would imagine that a lot of gunk collects at the bottom of your tank as the water flow there should be rather limited.

Ingo

LITTLE_FISH attached this image:

saltnewbie
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Thanks for the help I appreciate it!..Heres an updated pic of the tank..I cleaned all the algae off the glass and spreaded the water sprite so it covers more than just the right side and I also took out the smaller middle piece of driftwood and bunched the java fern closer together and I like the overall look better than the last pics I took so thats good.. I am ordering 1 6700 K bulb right now to mix with my already used 9000 K bulb and I think it will give the tank a better overall color..I am also going to start DIY c02 most likely tomrow or sometime this week when I get around to it..Tell me what you guys think of the tank!..:

http://photobucket.com/albums/c47/organja/?action=view&current=1-02-06fish004.jpg

Heres a really neat shot of my female golden wonder killi turning to me..:

http://photobucket.com/albums/c47/organja/?action=view&current=1-02-06fish005.jpg

And another shot of my male killi (top fish) and a smaller female killi (bellow the male)..:

http://photobucket.com/albums/c47/organja/?action=view&current=1-02-06fish006.jpg

Heres my lighting set up so you guys can see what I am using (2 straightpinned 55 watt compact flourescent).. I think somewhere in the 9600 K. range and I am going to change one of the bulbs with a 6700 K. bulb ( you think that would look good??)..

http://photobucket.com/albums/c47/organja/?action=view&current=dscn0242.jpg
saltnewbie
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Awesome thanks for all the tips jeeze lemme get a pen..I took your advice and did a good 40 percent water change and took the wood thats on the right of the tank out and spread the 2 remaining peices of wood out a little more..Then I moved a few of the wisteria ( I think its accualy water sprite now..) behind the wood and I re arranged the java fern a little bit and moved the rocks around and took some out because like you said theres a little too much 'clutter' in the tank!..So now I am just waiting for it to clear up and I will post pics later tonight..I am going to order new bulbs tonight tho because I really want a diff. tint to the tank so I am thinking of going with the 2 6700 K. lights.. I also cleaned all the algae off the front and sides and back of the tank so thats done.. Thanks for all those tips and I am glad you like the buddah statue on the right I also agree that he looks good there..

2 things I want to ask.. I have a penguin 150 bio wheel filter on the tank and I am adding flourish excel ferts and I was wondering if the carbon in the filter cleans all the ferts (impurities) out of the tank or not.. Because I would hate to know that all the ferts I have been using so far were a waste..

And also, I think I am going to start DIY yeast c02 tonight because I have a Hagen bubble ladder and tubing and an empty Juice bottle and I was wondering if I should take out the bio-wheel or take out the whole filter when I start injecting c02 because I heard that bio-wheels are bad for tanks with c02..?
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 1074
male usa
Salt,

I believe your fixture is an AGA 110w that comes with 9325k bulbs "super daylight" If that's the case you are not low-light your mid-light especially with that size tank.

First thing I would do is scrape the glass clean, clean anything with ugly algae on it, do a gravel wash and remove 50 to 60% of the water, clean the filter and see if your water still has a yellowish tint to it. If yes, than if you think the bulbs are old you need ones with a straight pin arrangement.

With or without co2 you could grow more plants under that light. There's too much wood in the center. Looks like you have dark wood and light (It's too much to take in) Remove some of it and keep same type. The java fern is a tough plant to have as a focal behind the wood, because those leaves get damaged and they just stay that way. Cut back alot of the damaged leaves and arrange the javafern mid tank and get some taller thicker stem plants for the back.

My 2.5 cents for what it's worth.

BTW - The budda actually works in front of the wisteria/water sprite area.

Last edited by tetratech at 02-Jan-2006 15:46

My Scapes
saltnewbie
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Just edited the post above.. They work now...
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
saltnewbie,

Unfortunately neither of your links works, at least not for me.

But in any case, make sure the socket fits your fixture (square vs. straight pin, for example).

Just tell us about the two linked entities if you can't show them.

Ingo

saltnewbie
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Hey guys, my tank has a sorta yellowish tint im guessing since the bulbs are getting old so im thinking of ordering 2 new bulbs..Any suggestions on which bulbs to get..I was thinking about getting 2 of these...

http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=67

Or.. getting 2 of these...

http://lightbulbsdirect.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=001&Product_Code=F55BX-AR-FS

Or.. getting one of each.. I want a cleaner, brighter look like some of you guys have acheived in your tanks.. Thanks in advance!..

Last edited by saltnewbie at 02-Jan-2006 12:58
saltnewbie
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Haha, great replies guys..I will sit down and mess with the auto settings on my camera so hopefully my next picture will be better.lots better!..And LF, The tank is preety yellow and I am not entirely sure what color temperture the bulbs are because they came with the hood set up and I have yet to replace them..I am going to order 2 6700 K. bulbs today tho!..The forground plants are an assortment of some hairgrass type plant, all my java fern runners, one anubias, a few unknown swords on the left..I know I know really crappy foreground lol..I will start focusing on the forground once I let all the plants grow in a bit. Thanks for the replies guys..
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
saltnewbie,

Yeah, getting the algae off the glass will most certainly be a good first step to make the tank more appealing .

I see the Fern and Moss, even the Wisteria although I have to say that it looks more like Water Sprite. But this may very well be the fact that you are still experimenting with the camera settings. Don’t get too frustrated, I am sure the Buddha in your tank would also tell you to be patient ().

What other plants are in there? I seem to identify some Crypts and a Ludwigia on the left, but what are the foreground plants?

Does your tank look as yellow for real? What kind of lights (K) do you have on there? If you are still interested in upgrading, This Company is pretty reliable.

Ingo

Last edited by LITTLE_FISH at 02-Jan-2006 06:06

saltnewbie
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Hey guys, I guess since I got a new digi camera for Christmas I thought I may as well start a log on my ever changing 46 gal planted tank..
It has been set up for close to 6 months..I have 110 watts over the tank right now but I may upgrade if I decide to go pressurized with c02..Any thoughts?..Heres a pic of the tank a week before christmas...

http://community.webshots.com/photo/531503323/527218226TpLInA

As you can see its okay looking but not that great..I think of my self as a preety good aquascaper but I have had problems with this tank (I have or have had over 10 tanks over the last few years set up)... I think a few things I could do to make this tank look better is...:

1.)Clean the algae off my glass which has been there since I set it up so its just old algae ( I dont have any algae outbursts anymore..knock on wood)

2.)Buy new bulbs..I was thinking just replacing my bulbs with 2 55 watt 6700 K. straight pinned compact flourescent bulbs off of any website (links appreciated!..)..I think my tank has a boring yellowish tint as of right now and I would like a cleaner light that shows off the lights and darks of my green plants (Wisteria,java fern/moss, etc.)

3.) I dont know maybe you guys can give me some more suggestions on what I could do to make my tank look better..

Heres an updated pic of my tank ( I took it tonight accualy..)

http://community.webshots.com/photo/531503297/533662822HfrLdb

..As you may noticed the tank has changed a little bit..I bought 3 small pieces of drift wood and placed them in the middle of the tank and attached java fern and java moss to it.. and added 6 stems of wisteria to the right side of the tank..I looove java fern/moss, anubias, some crypts, and even wisteria which is really good because they are all low light plants so I am thinking that it may be easier to keep the tank low light.. and just add tons of java ferns in the middle and wisteria on both sides and it may look really good if I can pull it off right..

Ps: Please excuse the stupid water level line on the pics and the algae thats on the glass the next pic/s will be better I promise!..Any tips on making the pics look better? I am using a Nikon cool pix 7600 and I still manage to take crappy pics..I have tried lots of diff. settings changing the white balance, shutter speed, aperture settings etc. but I still can't take very good pics and I am preety frustrated because I just got this camera..Thanks again!! I hope with the help of you guys I can make my tank look alot better!

Last edited by saltnewbie at 01-Jan-2006 21:41
# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies