SubscribeBacking plants Betta tank required
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I have been trying several species of stem plants at the back 300mm X 50mm-60mm -- 12ins X2ins-3ins, space I have not been 100% happy with them at all even heavy pruning to encourage the lower parts to grow does not help at all, they still get very leggy. Other than a constant replanting this is the only way to combat it. I am prepared to try a med height bushy rooted plans. I have the same plants growing in another area in same light conditions and they are growing perfect the only difference they are in a very strong water current from the filter.

If I have to install a very fine strip of air bubbles I will. It cannot be strong as it will effect the Betta
There are plenty of photos in the link below.

I am not using Co2 or ever intend to reason too much water movement.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 19-Jul-2006 06:54Profile PM Edit Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 922
Votes: 69
male usa
Hi keith

From the looks fo your pictures I assume we're talking about the section to the right of the DW where those stem plants are.

For this section I would suggest Narrow leaf java fern if you can find it. It's simple, easy to grow - you know all this already. Get a few of them to fill things in. There seems to be a little piece of wood sticking out along that section, you could tie them onto that piece, or just let them sit, they should sink on their own.

The danger you run with crypts in a small tank is that depending on conditions known only to them and their mothers, they can grow large enough to take over the tank, small enough to not make the desired impact or just right, You never know. The javas - narrow leaf, regular, windelov, your pick - will grow just fine and can serve as a nice background plant with little maintenence.

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 19-Jul-2006 17:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Thank you for that info, that long thin piece is actually the same DW and it is behind that I am wanting to plant ???? I am looking for a small leafed species about 7ins- 175mm tall, as this will create depth not a solid wall that is one reason I am not looking at any of the Vall type plants.

I could still do what you are suggesting by fixing them to a similar piece of DW on the substrate behind the existing piece.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 20-Jul-2006 01:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
bensaf

---------------
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 1315
male ireland
The real problem is the choice of plant relative to the size of the tank.

H.Polysperma is about as fast growing as they come and the leaf size is a bit too big for a small tank. Unless you trim every second day it gets too high and starts shading itself.

There are very few stem plants suitable for a small tank.
There aren't any that just grow to s certain height and then stop, they all pretty much keep on going if not trimmed.

Some that may suit would be Bacopa species, especially Monnieri, these are smaller then the Polysperma and grow a good deal slower, so will be easier to control.

Rotala is another option , it smaller then the Polysperma but takes trimming better, more e to bushiness.

The narrow leaf Fern is a good option. Doesn't need to tied to driftwood, you can just wedge it slightly between the current wood and the back glass. It turns into a a nice ball shape over time. This will be pretty much maintenance free.

For a different type, try Echinodorous Parviflorus, it's a very small sword plant that usually tops out at 6 inches. Bright green oval leaves.

Some days you're the pigeon and some days you're the statue.

Remember that age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.
Post InfoPosted 20-Jul-2006 05:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
I am prepared to toss out all (at the back) the stem plants not a problem at all. The Java small leafed fern sounds OK. I am also concerned with the height as I am wanting a full coverage top to bottom. I am open to any good ideas.

Look here for my

Keith

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 21-Jul-2006 08:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 922
Votes: 69
male usa
keith - I just posted a new pic of my 4 gallon tank in a separate thread. It's 8 inches substrate to water surface, and as you can see the leaves not only hit the surface but some of them spread along it a bit. There shouldn't be a problem with it reaching the surface of yours.

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 21-Jul-2006 13:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies