Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeHair Algae
greenfootball
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 360
Votes: 0
male usa
well my rocks and walls were infested with green hair algae. so i bought a female american flagfish since the 4 amano, 4 algae eating shrimp, 2 ghost shrimp, 8 otos and 1 SAE were not working. the flagfish is amazing at eating the green hair/thread stuff. but unfortunately she picked on my german blue ram too much and took a small chunk out of his fins so i had to remove her. now my hair algae are duller in color now, instead of bright green they are somewhat reddish brownish color now in most areas. does that mean they are dying off?

Post InfoPosted 08-May-2008 07:17Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Report 
papasan
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 34
male uk uk-england
i would think so Mr G i have had a similar problem with bush algae so with lowering my phosphate level and dosing with flourish excel the algae tends to change colour and curl up

cheers

papasan.
Post InfoPosted 08-May-2008 20:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I had a small dose of HA in my Betta tank and I double dosed with Seachem Flourish Excel for a couple of weeks. It completely removed the HA BUT it did kill the Val I had in the tank.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 09-May-2008 02:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
greenfootball
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 360
male usa
EditedEdited by greenfootball
the poor german blue ram couldnt make it, passed away this morning because of the stress... he spent all day in the corner of the tank looking stressed out... dont like the flagfish
Post InfoPosted 09-May-2008 05:02Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
Kudos: 330
Votes: 355
male usa
I have had some wicked hari algae outbreaks as well.. I have a gold CAE who munches it fairly well but cant/doesnt get it all out. I use a liquid algae remover and that nailed it all without affecting the other plants and fish.
Post InfoPosted 10-May-2008 13:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DaMossMan
----------
Fish Guru
Piranha Bait
Kudos: 2117
Votes: 359
male canada ca-ontario
EditedEdited by DaMossMan
Hair algae can be tricky and there are 6 or so different types some harder to deal with.

Some has taken over my 10g tank. I'm not sure what caused it. I doubled my light recently, the tank was overstocked, thinned out the floating plants, and introduced some new plants, and some ferts.
Any of those could have caused it

So far I've cut my light period from 11 to 5 hours, and a bit of manual removal. Also thinned out some fish/snail stock. Going to try more frequent water changes, doubling up on the excel, and refreshing my co2 more often.

As far as algae eaters, SIA won't work for me as they will decimate moss. I could try moving my bn pleco into there for a bit ? Thinking red cherry shrimp and maybe amano shrimp though. Also moved a few fancy mts snails in from the 40, in the 10g a long time ago they seemed to help reduce plant detritus which will create excess nutrients as it decomposes.

The Amazon Nut...
Post InfoPosted 18-May-2008 17:34Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
DaMossMan
----------
Fish Guru
Piranha Bait
Kudos: 2117
Votes: 359
male canada ca-ontario
Greenfootball,

Sorry to hear about the loss of your Ram

The Amazon Nut...
Post InfoPosted 21-May-2008 02:12Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies