Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeLYSAER 55g New planted tank log
lysaer
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 57
Votes: 2
male usa
That actually will be just about perfect for what I want. I more want a "hedge" kind of effect along the front left of the tank.

Listen! Do you smell that?
Post InfoPosted 14-May-2007 20:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
lysaer
----------
Hobbyist
male usa
Quick update - picture quality not so great because I took these during the day. I wanted to wait until Saturday night, but I'm -amazed- at some of the plants in the tank, in particular the tiger lotus. To recap, look at this picture:

Look at all the lower leaves of the lotus. And if you look very carefully in the middle of the stems, down at the bottom, you'll see a thicker stem that's actually a tightly curled new leaf that's just emerged from the gravel. The bottom of the curled up leaf is 1/4" from the gravel in that picture.

That's Saturday night. Now look here, lunchtime today, Tuesday.

You see the leaf with the slightly curled edges up above the big flat leaf in the middle of the pictures? Yeah, that's the new leaf!! It's now over HALF the height of the tank!

Plus all the other leaves have grown big and pretty, and I see several more stems/leaves starting to poke out of the gravel.

Took a few other pics:

You have to look very closely here, but there's a runner root coming off the sword plant in the back (I think it's the marble queen) and has a bunch of little leaf-looking things sticking up from it that are growing up out of the gravel. Little_Fish, is this just a root system establishing, or new plants off-shooting?

Fred and Barney like having the vals around their log. They can hang out and have a little privacy at the same time. Here they're just chillaxin'. Fred's kicked back in the log, Barney's tanning on the rocks.

Better pic for Little_Fish here of what we think is the micro-sword...like I said, spread it out along the front of the tank, if it grows like I think it hopefully will form a "hedge". I looked at your 40g log and mine didn't come in a mat like yours did. It came just as a ... well, kind of a wad. A "small portion".

marsilea minuta in the bottom right corner, trimmed (and algae free now) and growing newly..and spreading nicely. A forest of crystal vals between the cave and the log, and my school of pepper cories hanging out among the vals. 'cept you can't see them here. But you CAN see a couple of val runners that were NOT there Saturday. Geeze.

There's a cory peeking out.

The giant hydro has grown, literally, half again in height since I first planted it, and another couple inches since Saturday I think. And also here, we see a couple ghost shrimp hanging out. "'sup?" They seem to say.

Post InfoPosted 15-May-2007 20:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 223
Votes: 255
female usa

I love those vals! So nice & green. I want green in my tank too.
Post InfoPosted 15-May-2007 21:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
Kudos: 799
male usa
All your plants look quite happy thus far. Very green and healthy.

Just wait until your vals explode in growth. I had leaves that were spread 3/4's the length of my 40G long.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/Ric
Post InfoPosted 16-May-2007 14:08Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
Kudos: 83
Votes: 242
male australia
Lysaer, Hi , love the tank , looks like your off to a great start . I'm about to set up a new tank myself and I'm thinking of doing a log on FP . Any Tips ? I'm very new at this posting gig ( never done it before). I'll being watching your log with great interest.
Garry
Post InfoPosted 17-May-2007 11:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
lysaer
----------
Hobbyist
male usa
Countryfish, thanks! I appreciate that. I'll shoot you a private message, though, with some ideas. And you might want to message little_fish, he seems to be the log king around here!

Post InfoPosted 17-May-2007 17:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
male australia
Thanks Lysaer, have posted on Ingo's thread . Look forward to some good discussions
Garry
Post InfoPosted 18-May-2007 00:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
Kudos: 1997
Votes: 670
male usa
he seems to be the log king around here!

Well thanks, but it would not be that way without the input from people like yourselves and the hard core plant crew.

Anyway, back to your tank, lysaer:

With regards to your CO2, are you measuring your content, by checking ph and KH? Just curious how much is retained.

In the close-up of the sword with the runner it seems like there is some algae forming around the edges of the leaves. If so then keep an eye on it. I am not an expert on sword plants (as I find them too large in the long run), but I would think that your marble queen "runner" may be a root that had been buried sideways and creates now new shoots upwards. But again, I know very little about swords.

In the picture that you use to show me the micro sword I only see the marsilea minuta. Where is the sword?

And good that the hygro is growing strong, it is an excellent fast grower and I would suggest to replant any trimming to increase the number of them (for the time being).

Overall, all looks pretty healthy, good job.

Ingo

Proud Member of the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club
Post InfoPosted 20-May-2007 13:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
lysaer
----------
Hobbyist
male usa
Hi everyone,

Sorry for the lack of updates on the log! Been very busy with various things, including my pond project, and my memory cards for my camera have mysteriously disappeared, so that makes it hard to take pictures. I've got my cell phone camera, but those pictures just aren't of a good enough quality. Plus, my house cleaning and other yard work have kind of been being neglected, thanks to being busy at work and my obsession with the tank, so I've been trying to catch up with that.

I've also developed a pretty serious algae problem, so I've been dealing with that the last few days. I've been calling it brown algae, because, well, it's brown. It's on several plant leaves, making them look withered and burnt, and some of the plant leaves are starting to decay with it. I've added several otos and a good number of ghost shrimp to the tank to start attacking it, and they seem to be working on it pretty well. I've also started doing water changes more often in hopes that will take care of it, as I understand it's caused by silicates in the water. Today's water change will also bring with it some plant trimming, as despite the algae bloom the stem plants and vals are growing at a dramatic rate, and while I'm doing that I'm going to snip off any leaves that are coated too heavy with the algae to wipe off. It'll thin down things a bit, but it seems to be the best route to take.

Hopefully during my house cleaning, I'll find the stupid memory cards and be able to take pictures. If not, I'll try to get some camera phone pics up.

Post InfoPosted 28-May-2007 18:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Good move on the Otos and shrimp lysaer

Yes, sounds like you got the type of algae identified just fine, Diatoms. They usually don't cause any major harm as long as there is not way too much of it in the tank. Water changes and manual removal will help as well, except if there should be a large amount of Silica in your tab water (could be, but very unlikely). Try to remove as much as you can.

I am not so sure about the trimming at this point. I would only take out what seems to die off, otherwise, let it go a little wild, you have enough space in the tank for additional plants and runners. You can work on the beauty of the tank after you managed to have it settled.

Now, go and find that memory card

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 28-May-2007 21:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
lysaer
----------
Hobbyist
male usa
The only trimming I did was the plants that were about to grow out of the water. Well, except for the val's. The vals have exploded in growth, and I've got several vals that are actual poking up out of the water. Wanted to wait on trimming til I can take pics.

I also discovered during my water change and trimming yesterday morning that apparently one of my mollies has given birth again, as I found a few fry that managed to survive. Then I started thinking - oh no, I wonder how many got sucked into the filter? Better crack open the canister and get out all the dead fry bodies.

So I open up the cabinet under the tank, and sure enough, I can see fry. Only, when I reach for the canister to pull it out, they move. They were alive! I collected 15 live fry, and no dead fry, out of the canister. How funny is that?

Post InfoPosted 29-May-2007 13:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Then I started thinking - oh no, I wonder how many got sucked into the filter?

Yeah, such small fry makes it through the impeller rather unharmed, although I have had a few cases where they seemed fine but succumbed to what I believe were internal injuries a few days later.

So, what did you do with the 15 fry that you found? I am sure you know that eventually you will find new surviving fry in a fully planted tank to be more of a curse that a blessing, for overpopulation reasons. I remember finding my first batch of Platy fry in my 29G and rescuing 9 of them. I hatched them like a mother chick, gave them a separate section in the tank (see first picture in that log), and only once they reached maybe an inch did I release them to the rest of the population. By now though, every fry that I find in that tank causes me to think "oh no, not more of them".

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 29-May-2007 14:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
lysaer
----------
Hobbyist
male usa
They're in a breeding tank floating in my 10g right now until they get big enough not to get sucked into THAT filter, then I'll release them to grow in that tank.

And once those get big enough they'll either be given away to someone local who wants them or into my mother's tank that I'm putting together for her birthday present.

Post InfoPosted 29-May-2007 15:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
lysaer
----------
Hobbyist
male usa
EditedEdited by lysaer
Ok, found ONE of my memory cards, have managed to manhandle away most of the algae, plus added some driftwood to the tank...which s very very light consistency, so that meant adding rocks to hold it down, which meant rearranging plants, geeze what a vicious cycle.

Anywho, picture time. Please pardon the shiny reflection from my big bald head. I took the pictures in a bit of a hurry. And I think I had the flash on in one of them. Oops.

I know the big flat rock on the left looks out of place, and kinda throws everything off...but it was the only "clean" rock I could get last night at kinda short notice. I'll have to do some daylight searching this weekend and find something better that's heavy enough.

Post InfoPosted 01-Jun-2007 16:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 223
Votes: 255
female usa

Beautiful lysaer! I would love that tank! /:'
Post InfoPosted 01-Jun-2007 16:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
lysaer,

Plants are growing nicely -
Algae is not too bad -
More hardscape is entering the tank -

Don't worry about the rock that seems out of place, I cannot stress enough that at this stage of the tank the looks are less important than the functionality (meaning the growing in of enough plants to stabilize the tank). I know one would like to show off the beauty of a tank from the get-go, but most of the time these tanks do not last very long (as they get messed up in a hurry), except if you really know what you are doing (and that would not be me, for sure, I think in line of people like Senske and Amano).

I am not so sure if adding the moss is such a great idea, it is an algae magnet and usually requires the removal of all the moss once infested. Given that you seen to have some minor algae issues, keep a close eye on it.

And that's it for now,

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 01-Jun-2007 17:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
male australia
Lysaer, Tank's coming along nicely . I agree with Ingo more hardscape is great , and I'm not sure about the Moss either for a different reason . I think it detracts from the look of the driftwood , maybe it needs to grow some to look better . I was thinking of using some on my driftwood Im not so sure now ? Sorry just my 2c worth .
Love the photos and I think the look of the tank is developing , just needs some more growth to fill in . I wouldnt worry about the rocks either the plants will cover them in the long run . Look forward to more photos in the future .
Garry
Post InfoPosted 02-Jun-2007 09:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jase101
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 273
Votes: 1
male australia
hi lysaer,

nice looking tank - i noticed though, that a lot of your plants are buried past the root stock. the lotus in particular will rot if it is buried. all the species you have with main root systems need to be 'pulled up' a little so only the roots are in the sand and the crown above the sand. i think you'll notice much better growth.

justin
Post InfoPosted 03-Jun-2007 08:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
lysaer
----------
Hobbyist
male usa
Jase,

Frank had mentioned that to me as well...the main reason I have them planted like that is because the gravel is so small that when I first planted them, they had a tendency to float loose. Especially the lotus, which had more leaves at the time.

However, having gotten that advice a couple of times I do believe when I do my wc today I'll "pull up" a little on them.

Post InfoPosted 03-Jun-2007 18:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
lysaer
----------
Hobbyist
male usa
Geeze, I haven't updated in 2 weeks. Ok, here's an update for you.

I did some rearranging (yes, again) due to the driftwood shadowing some things, and the difformis and giant hygro -really- needing a trim. The vals were also growing wild so (before I read something that said "don't cut vals halfway"..I cut them halfway. Ooops. WHen the blades start to melt I'll cut them at the root.

I moved ALL of the giant hygro to the right. Moved ALL of the difformis to the back left. Moved the foxtail and ludwigia to the left. Removed some of the vals to another tank, and rearranged what was left just a little bit. Moved the apongenton's to the back and under the driftwood since they'll do ok in the low light/shade. And as I was told I probably would end up doing, I pulled out almost all the java moss.

I also removed the hairgrass, marsilea(sp), dwarf shainsword, and clover. I need a new groundcover, but haven't decided for sure if I am gonna get one, or what. Oh. Moved the alt. reinicki up front as well so it can get some more light. I also think I need a java fern or anubias to put on the driftwood to cover the twine holding it to the slate.

Now pictures!

Post InfoPosted 15-Jun-2007 16:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
male australia
Lysaer , I like what you've done to the Tank . Looking great.

I didn't know you could't cut Val halfway either , probably why mine all died on me

What happened to the Moss on the Driftwood ?

Garry
Post InfoPosted 15-Jun-2007 17:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
before I read something that said "don't cut vals halfway"..I cut them halfway. Ooops.

Well, we will see how they do over time, maybe it works out. Often it is also a question of appeal that makes half cut leaves less desirable.

Overall, looking nice and the fast growers do what they do best, grow fast . Here are a few questions/comments"

- "I pulled out almost all the java moss." - To avoid future maintenance hassles? Makes sense if you would not be able to remove the wood to perform the trimming outside of the tank.

- "I also removed the hairgrass, marsilea(sp), dwarf shainsword, and clover." - That's the big one. Why? Not doing well, and if so - what happened?

- While you hopefully catch a break in moving things around so much , I think it is time to think about hardscape. The one thing I have in mind here is the rocks. The grand master of all scapes, Mr. Amano, points out one thing about rocks that has been proven true over and over again:

It does not matter what rocks you have in the tank (planted tank complient, of course, is a given, as in not leaching calcium etc), as long as they all are of the same type.

Natural waters rarely have rounded and sharp rocks in the same area, neither varies the material from which the rock is formed (like quarz, sandstone, wood, and what not - not good at rock-science here) that much.

You know where I am going with this, right?

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 16-Jun-2007 12:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 1074
male usa
EditedEdited by tetratech
It does not matter what rocks you have in the tank (planted tank complient, of course, is a given, as in not leaching calcium etc), as long as they all are of the same type
Yes, this is quite true and although there are some good things going on with your scape the different rock types/textures especially that gray one on the left takes away from the other good things.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 16-Jun-2007 13:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
lysaer
----------
Hobbyist
male usa
Moss - Actually I removed it because in a matter of days it was starting to turn brown and fuzzy - either it was seriously growing massive amounts of algae or burning up because it was so close to the light and also growing algae, but the look was majorly NOT good, and the more I looked at it the more it bothered me so I pulled it out.

Hairgrass, etc - I actually pulled the hairgrass and marsela(sp) out to spread it out and rearrange it, ended up breaking most of the mars. The hairgrass had so much gunk and crap caught in it that I washed it off and put it in a smaller tank. The idea was to put it in the shrimp tank, but I ended up not having room for it so it's in the 10g for the time being. The clover was just not growing worth a crap, everything that had been growing nice was brown and dead and just collecting gunk. The "micro chain" was all doing nothing. Not dead, not growing.

Rocks - I know, I know, I know. I complain about that often enough to other people. The gray-green rock on the left, this one came with the original tank and I just really like the shape of it. Looks like a shark fin. Hehe. As the tank has grown, though, it's becoming out of place. It does have a rounded side to it that's currently buried in the gravel, I might can shift it around and it fit more. I have thought about that. The problem with it, though, is the blocky big rock I had to introduce on the right to hold down the "pointing" end of the driftwood. This is NOT a permanent addition to the tank. It's what I could find outside - it's actually part of my garden border and I want to put it back out there (it's a corner piece!). But it was a "safe" piece, i.e. didn't react to vinegar or peroxide when I tested it, and weighs enough to hold down that driftwood which has a very cork-like consistency and wants to float very badly, even soaked. As soon as I can find a rounded, not-so-orange rock that I can replace it with, it will be removed from the tank.

I am, however, done moving plants around. Any trimmings I do now will either be going to the 75g whenever I can get it set up, or into one of the 10g's to hopefully make it a couple more weeks until I get my mom's 55g set up.

One thing I'm liking about my fast growers is that they're at the stage they're making "baby" plants. The difformis and ludwigia especially. The giant hygro too, to an extent.

Now if the alternatha and foxtail would just grow as well, and my swords would recover from whatever caused them to melt...

Post InfoPosted 16-Jun-2007 19:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
I find it good that you removed your gunked up plants, I would suggest you let the tank settle and then try one or the other again. At that stage, much less gunk should be available for collection

The alternanthera is not the fastest grower in the universe, at least not in my tank. In particular, it takes a while to get settled and to develop some roots, then it can grow rather quickly.

Pretty much all plants in the Myriophyllum group are gunk collectors par excellence. Is it staying clean for you?

About replacing edgy rock with rounder rock: as long as the color fits as well

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 17-Jun-2007 12:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
lysaer
----------
Hobbyist
male usa
LF: Myriophyllum? Ok, if I haven't used the correct name, chances are I have no clue which one that is.

Post InfoPosted 17-Jun-2007 18:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
lysaer,

You could have figured that one out. How many gunk collectors are left in the tank ? I think only one, the Foxtail, aka Water Milfoil, Myriophyllum pinnatum, sometimes also sold as Myriophyllum aquaticum.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 17-Jun-2007 20:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
poisonwaffle

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 591
male usa
Wow, lys... looking nice!

Yea, that moss was raised 6-8" below a 20w light, so putting it under that bright light you've got there is probably what fried it. Remember, the stuff can basically THRIVE in the worst of conditions, so you don't need to give it the best seat in the house.

I'm guessing you saved some of it in the 10? You could tie a little wad of it to a lower place on the driftwood and see how it does there.

Are you doing anything with co2?

I'm very impressed, lys... the tank looks excellent! Keep up the good work!
Post InfoPosted 17-Jun-2007 20:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
lysaer
----------
Hobbyist
male usa
Ingo: I figured that's what you meant but I wanted to make sure. It's actually staying pretty clean. I don't notice it collecting a lot of gunk, and it grows pretty well. The rotala that you mentioned was a gunk collector didn't get a chance to collect, it disappeared in a couple weeks. I think it was a combination of the platies pulling it up and it getting sucked into the filter because it was so small. But the foxtail's doing well and doesn't seem to collect much gunk at all.

Waffle: I did actually put all the moss back in the 10g, and it seems to be recovering. I may use some of it in shaded areas in the 75 when I get it set up, but dunno yet.

I'm running DIY CO2 in the 55 for now, 3 2 liter bottles running to a ceramic airstone with a "collector" over it. Not really sure how much good it's actually doing, but since I put both the co2 and flourish & iron treatments into the tank I literally have seen daily growth increase.

Post InfoPosted 17-Jun-2007 20:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
poisonwaffle

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 591
male usa
Good stuff with the moss

An' it's good to know you've got co2 on a tank as nice as that.

Have you considered switching to dry ferts when you get your other tanks planted? Dry ferts are SO much cheaper... it literally costs pennies a week to dose them!
Post InfoPosted 17-Jun-2007 22:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
Kudos: 138
Votes: 13
female usa us-massachusetts
Lysaer, I also cut my vals in half (and will continue to do so!!) as the leaves of these plants get way too long and take away lots of light they recovered already nicely from the last trimming. your vals are also somewhat in the middle and not in the back of the tank (which looks nice) and how would you prevent them from overshadowing other plants again?

Now here is a question for waffle: where actually do you get your dry ferts from?
Post InfoPosted 18-Jun-2007 00:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
male australia
Hmmmm , Now I'm confused can you trim Vals or not . ????

Garry
Post InfoPosted 18-Jun-2007 03:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Now I'm confused can you trim Vals or not . ?

Well, here is my opinion:

Basically, yes, one can trim Vals half way, but:

- As most trimmings would not be a finely manicured operation that would create a "fake" top mimicking the real top of a non-trimmed Val it looks kind of off.
- I have no proof, but I would say that - at least - overall growth of the Val plant is slowed down as energy needs to be used to "seal" the wound created by the cut.
- Injured plants have a lower resistance to negative environment influences, mostly seen with algae settlements on dying or weak leaves.

So for me, the answer is:

"don't trim half way, cut off the whole leaf"

Of course others may have different experiences and/or opinions,

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 18-Jun-2007 13:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
I have to disagree with L_F
Cutting of the entire leaf will not do much good as all leaves of this plant will grow to an astonishing length - buy cutting the entire leaf you will end up with a plant with one or two very long leaves (which will contuinue to grow, hence you trim it) and eventually none at all. Unfortunately one plant of this species has just few leaves to begin with which adds to the problem. Here I have to admit that I am talking from experience (I did not want to cut halfways when presented with this problem first)...
Post InfoPosted 20-Jun-2007 04:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
lysaer
----------
Hobbyist
male usa
Catdancer,

I actually haven't run into much of a problem (yet) with the vals shading the other plants. Some of the leaves had grown up and started to grow along the top of the water when I trimmed them back, so I think I beat them to the punch. And already, some of them have grown back to the water level!!!

And I love having the vals in the middle of the tank. I think it gives the middle of the tank a nice definition and depth, and I know they're usually a background plant due to the height, but the way they spread and runner out, I think they go better there. Although I wish some of them would do like one did before a rearrange - it literally spread out in a blossom, the center leaves growing up, the outer leaves growing out.

Post InfoPosted 20-Jun-2007 04:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
EditedEdited by catdancer
Lysaer:

I agree and I DO like the placement of the vals in your tank! They are nice plants but I have to admit that I am seriously considering to get rid of them when doing my long planned tank makeover. They spread everywhere and I have the 'jungle' variety with leaves reported to grow to 2 metres length and more (about 7 foot) ... I had mine bundled in nice ringlets on the water surface prior to the trimming
Post InfoPosted 20-Jun-2007 05:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
male australia
Ok Thanks everyone for clearing that up . I'll just have to give them another go and experiment a bit .
Garry
Post InfoPosted 20-Jun-2007 12:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
... buy cutting the entire leaf you will end up with a plant with one or two very long leaves (which will continue to grow, hence you trim it) and eventually none at all.

Fantastic conversation, much appreciated

Here is the overall topic in which this specific debate (half way or all the way) belongs: Trimming!

You are all long enough in this hobby and have done way enough research to understand that almost each plant is different with regards on "How To Trim". Stem plants cuttings where bottoms can be reused, others where they cannot, rhizomes that need be severed, and so forth.

IMHO, the way to maintain Vals is not by leaving old plants, injured by cutting the leaf half way, in the tank and disposing of the loads of runners that one gets from them, but rather by removing the parents plant and using the runners in their place. This gives you a young and fresh plant, ready to suck up nutrients and helping to stabilize the tank.

But that is a lot of work, you may say. Well, welcome to the planted tank maintenance world. For that reason, you will not find quite a few tanks that may have started off with Vals but eventually decided to cut them out. Prolific runner producer, long leaves (depending on species though, as there are shorter - but not short - leaf versions as well), and as such high maintenance over time.

But of course, this is just my opinion, but I think I would be willing to put a bet on the fact that lysaer's tank - if it evolves into a true planted and scaped environment (and I wouldn't know why not) - will not see the Vals in the long run (beyond 6 months, let's say). Wanna counter-bet?

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 20-Jun-2007 13:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
Wanna counter-bet?

Probably not, although I have some vals in my tank that have received 'hair cut's' for quite a while. The main reason that I will not do so is based on the info that I found in one of your logs (I think it was Bensaf, but not absolutely sure here) where it was stated that stem plants have to be replaced after a while of constant trimming . Following the same reasoning I can see why Vals will not be too happy about this treatment in the long run. (On a totally diffent note - WHY can you subject emrsed plants to this type of treatment w/o problems?)

I totally agree with you that replacing older (tall) plants with the runners is definitely the way to go although it is also invasive as you have to remove the old plant carefully, thereby disturbing the gravel bed,uprooting the runner and putting it in the desired new location and so forth.

Here is the overall topic in which this specific debate (half way or all the way) belongs: Trimming!

Hey, what is wrong with that, it is perfect for a planted aquaria forum!
I wish we've had this conversation before I grabbed the scissors recently again.
Post InfoPosted 20-Jun-2007 16:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
EditedEdited by LITTLE_FISH
Hey, what is wrong with that, it is perfect for a planted aquaria forum!

I guess that didn't come out right, catdancer

i didn't mean that it should be split into another forum or something like that, I meant it to say something like "let us talk about the whole trimming/maintenance philosophy as a conceptual entity within the planted tank realm".

I guess that is not that much better either

Basically, more often than not you read about people adding plants to their tanks and you read about reports on growth (good or bad), and all of a sudden you find a subsequent entry like "how do I trim this plant" or "plant is growing too big". And I am the first one to confess that I have been making such statements more than once (and probably still do).

Overall, that is where the real art comes in (and I am not there), the ability to foresee how the plants in a tank will grow together and how the look of the tank will be over time and what needs to be done (in terms of trimming, for example) to get the best (as in most beautiful) out of the tank. Amano has it, Senske too, and quite a few others as well, and I think tetratech is on his way (he sure knows it about his 72G plants already), I am still trying to figure this out.

Ah, enough sidetracking on my end,

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 20-Jun-2007 17:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 1074
male usa
EditedEdited by tetratech
Overall, that is where the real art comes in (and I am not there), the ability to foresee how the plants in a tank will grow together and how the look of the tank will be over time and what needs to be done (in terms of trimming, for example) to get the best (as in most beautiful) out of the tank. Amano has it, Senske too, and quite a few others as well, and I think tetratech is on his way (he sure knows it about his 72G plants already), I am still trying to figure this out.

Yes that is very true. I guess you could say it's another level of the hobby. You could almost say it's like a broadshow in that one part of the hobby is getting everything to work correctly, positioning plants, etc all in preparation for the show. The show as LF stated is when the timing is right and all the players are ready to show their stuff in one coordinated production. Speaking of shows did you see all the lights and cameras that Amano uses to take a picture of his tanks. It really does look like a broadway production. Having a closet full of sticks and stones doesn't hurt either. Without a big inventory of hardscape it's sometimes like putting a square peg in a round hole.

P.S. Thanks for putting me in the same sentence as Amano and Senske. I'm not worthy

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 20-Jun-2007 19:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
EditedEdited by catdancer

I meant it to say something like "let us talk about the whole trimming/maintenance philosophy as a conceptual entity within the planted tank realm".

Kudos to your beautiful command of the English language

(I like your comment - don't get this wrong; e-mail can be difficult to understand sometimes!)

Overall, that is where the real art comes in

Absolutely, I think you are on the way to the finish line, I am still looking for the starting point of the track ...
- just received my CO2 equipment and I am now contemplating the plant selection...

Uhem, tetratech, that reminds me - when will you post some photos of your new project?
Post InfoPosted 21-Jun-2007 02:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
REDPHANTOM
----------
Enthusiast
Taking life on an angle
Kudos: 46
Votes: 4
male costarica
Hi everyone,

First off would like to congratulate lysaer on its way to a nicely planted tank. Im sure you will find a balance that will meet your expectations of the tank and requirements of plants in no time.

(On a totally diffent note - WHY can you subject emrsed plants to this type of treatment w/o problems?)

Here's my two cents...I may be way off but I'm no botanist:

There are different levels of evolution in plants. Emersed plants being more evolved than submerged plants. A simple example of this is the fact that submerged plants need the water to support them, whereas ground plants have developed woody stems and cell walls that will support them out of water. Something to do with the xylema and/or phloema...

IMO, vals are plants that have not evolved that much throughout the years, they show very simple structure and growth patterns. You can basically see the blocks that conform each leaf when you hold it against the light, similar to the pattern found on some algae.

Along those lines I infer that vals have apical and intersticial or intercellular growth(Not sure its the right terminology), which respectively would correspond to growth at the tip and growth to the sides.

On plants like the alternatheras for example, if you trim the top or halfway down the stem, you will most likely get two branches resulting from the cut, that will in turn result in having two tops, at least this is the norm on most angiosperms and it is used widely to spread fruit trees into having various productive branches.

The vals being as simple as they are will not branch out since they dont have this type of structure but a more basic one. Instead the trim at the top will stop apical growth all together and may promote growth to the sides or broadening of the leaf. As Little_Fish so well put it, you are leaving a damaged leaf on the plant and the plant will expend valuable energy to mend the cut at the top and to restart the apical growth if it ever does happen to regain it.

This is why most trims are done at the base of the leaf, since its easier and more pro-efficient (energywise) for the plant to grow a new leaf which is already the normal growth pattern, than to mend or heal a severed leaf that may not regain its utmost growth capabilities alltogether.

Hope this makes some sense and I appologize to the scientific community if in any way I strayed from the facts in this little rant.

All the best to all,

James

Post InfoPosted 22-Jun-2007 21:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
well, if you follow this line of thought - what about grass and similar plants? IMHO it is not so simple to explain with vertical versus horizontal growth. The plant will a bit slow down to mend the wound and form a callus but that goes for every cut. Anyway, to put an end to this 'trimming of the val' episode and to put concerned minds at rest
- my vals are growing back nicely and are ready to form ringlets again ... I wish they would slow down a bit, though

vals anyone?
Post InfoPosted 23-Jun-2007 00:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
REDPHANTOM
----------
Enthusiast
Taking life on an angle
Kudos: 46
Votes: 4
male costarica
I see your point...

On grass, isnt the idea of lawn grass to keep it low and allow it to thicken up in order for it to form a nice carpet? Thus its the side growth and not the apical growth what is the focus?

Anyway, in no ways I am an expert, but I do understand that different plants require different trimming techniques.

Best of luck!

J

Post InfoPosted 23-Jun-2007 00:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies