Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeLYSAER 55g New planted tank log
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 1074
male usa
EditedEdited by tetratech
Overall, that is where the real art comes in (and I am not there), the ability to foresee how the plants in a tank will grow together and how the look of the tank will be over time and what needs to be done (in terms of trimming, for example) to get the best (as in most beautiful) out of the tank. Amano has it, Senske too, and quite a few others as well, and I think tetratech is on his way (he sure knows it about his 72G plants already), I am still trying to figure this out.

Yes that is very true. I guess you could say it's another level of the hobby. You could almost say it's like a broadshow in that one part of the hobby is getting everything to work correctly, positioning plants, etc all in preparation for the show. The show as LF stated is when the timing is right and all the players are ready to show their stuff in one coordinated production. Speaking of shows did you see all the lights and cameras that Amano uses to take a picture of his tanks. It really does look like a broadway production. Having a closet full of sticks and stones doesn't hurt either. Without a big inventory of hardscape it's sometimes like putting a square peg in a round hole.

P.S. Thanks for putting me in the same sentence as Amano and Senske. I'm not worthy

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 20-Jun-2007 19:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
Kudos: 138
Votes: 13
female usa us-massachusetts
EditedEdited by catdancer

I meant it to say something like "let us talk about the whole trimming/maintenance philosophy as a conceptual entity within the planted tank realm".

Kudos to your beautiful command of the English language

(I like your comment - don't get this wrong; e-mail can be difficult to understand sometimes!)

Overall, that is where the real art comes in

Absolutely, I think you are on the way to the finish line, I am still looking for the starting point of the track ...
- just received my CO2 equipment and I am now contemplating the plant selection...

Uhem, tetratech, that reminds me - when will you post some photos of your new project?
Post InfoPosted 21-Jun-2007 02:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
REDPHANTOM
----------
Enthusiast
Taking life on an angle
Kudos: 46
Votes: 4
male costarica
Hi everyone,

First off would like to congratulate lysaer on its way to a nicely planted tank. Im sure you will find a balance that will meet your expectations of the tank and requirements of plants in no time.

(On a totally diffent note - WHY can you subject emrsed plants to this type of treatment w/o problems?)

Here's my two cents...I may be way off but I'm no botanist:

There are different levels of evolution in plants. Emersed plants being more evolved than submerged plants. A simple example of this is the fact that submerged plants need the water to support them, whereas ground plants have developed woody stems and cell walls that will support them out of water. Something to do with the xylema and/or phloema...

IMO, vals are plants that have not evolved that much throughout the years, they show very simple structure and growth patterns. You can basically see the blocks that conform each leaf when you hold it against the light, similar to the pattern found on some algae.

Along those lines I infer that vals have apical and intersticial or intercellular growth(Not sure its the right terminology), which respectively would correspond to growth at the tip and growth to the sides.

On plants like the alternatheras for example, if you trim the top or halfway down the stem, you will most likely get two branches resulting from the cut, that will in turn result in having two tops, at least this is the norm on most angiosperms and it is used widely to spread fruit trees into having various productive branches.

The vals being as simple as they are will not branch out since they dont have this type of structure but a more basic one. Instead the trim at the top will stop apical growth all together and may promote growth to the sides or broadening of the leaf. As Little_Fish so well put it, you are leaving a damaged leaf on the plant and the plant will expend valuable energy to mend the cut at the top and to restart the apical growth if it ever does happen to regain it.

This is why most trims are done at the base of the leaf, since its easier and more pro-efficient (energywise) for the plant to grow a new leaf which is already the normal growth pattern, than to mend or heal a severed leaf that may not regain its utmost growth capabilities alltogether.

Hope this makes some sense and I appologize to the scientific community if in any way I strayed from the facts in this little rant.

All the best to all,

James

Post InfoPosted 22-Jun-2007 21:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
Kudos: 138
Votes: 13
female usa us-massachusetts
well, if you follow this line of thought - what about grass and similar plants? IMHO it is not so simple to explain with vertical versus horizontal growth. The plant will a bit slow down to mend the wound and form a callus but that goes for every cut. Anyway, to put an end to this 'trimming of the val' episode and to put concerned minds at rest
- my vals are growing back nicely and are ready to form ringlets again ... I wish they would slow down a bit, though

vals anyone?
Post InfoPosted 23-Jun-2007 00:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
REDPHANTOM
----------
Enthusiast
Taking life on an angle
Kudos: 46
Votes: 4
male costarica
I see your point...

On grass, isnt the idea of lawn grass to keep it low and allow it to thicken up in order for it to form a nice carpet? Thus its the side growth and not the apical growth what is the focus?

Anyway, in no ways I am an expert, but I do understand that different plants require different trimming techniques.

Best of luck!

J

Post InfoPosted 23-Jun-2007 00:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies