Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribePlant Light
spankym13
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 56
Votes: 1
male usa
Hey well Im very new to planted aquariums! I'm redoing my 20gal hex and going to plant some low light plants! My bulb now is 14W! I've been looking around and was wondering how Im going to get 3 watts per gallon When I've not seen any bulbs with that many watts! We are talking around 54watts right?
Post InfoPosted 22-Aug-2008 20:43Profile PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I have a 18ins twin lighting unit 1 plant & 1 Daylight which gives me a total of 30W, for the 45lt
The quality of the lighting will depend on their replacement mine are about 2yld and are due for replacement. If you go and buy cheap lighting (tubes) the quality of the lighting might only last a few months.
They still give light but not the type of light that is required for plant growth.

The length of the light tubes will depend totally on the width of your tank.

Now a question for you what is the width of the tank?
Also how about a photo please.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 23-Aug-2008 07:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 23-Aug-2008 07:46
This post has been deleted
spankym13
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 56
Votes: 1
male usa
I'd need the 15inch ones. So i need to buy a new top for my tank to have two bulbs if i want plants
Post InfoPosted 23-Aug-2008 20:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Your tank must be narrow across the top and deep. Unless I am wrong you will require at least 3 lights to get sufficient lighting for plants if you intend to use the fluro type.

If you have a very deep substrate 4ins this will bring the plants closer to the light and less gal in your tank.

This might sound silly but do you know the actual gal in the tank, or are you calculating it as an empty tank?

My 45lt is actually about 35lt capacity.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 24-Aug-2008 03:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies