Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribePlants For Sand Substrate
Reegs
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 49
Votes: 2
female australia
I'm looking for more plants for my tank.

With a sand substrate the only thing that has lasted are crypts, any suggestions for what else will work? The tank looks very bare.

Cheers
Post InfoPosted 04-Jun-2007 09:55Profile PM Edit Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
Kudos: 1997
Votes: 670
male usa
Reegs,

The answer is simple, any plant that does not need any substrate will do, given your light and such supports it.

Fortunately, there are various ferns (Java Ferns), Anubias, and mosses that can turn any tank into a beauty.

All these plants can be tied to rocks or wood and don't need their roots (if they have any) in the substrate at all.

Hope this helps,

Ingo

Proud Member of the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club
Post InfoPosted 04-Jun-2007 13:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Other than the small Crypts all the plants in my Betta tank are by tying them using 15lb fishing line to DW. In the 5ft tank all the Anubias are either on wood or rocks. In my personal opinion they grow and fix better to wood. Dont be in a hurry as Anubias and Java ferns are slow growers.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 05-Jun-2007 03:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
inkodinkomalinko
---------------
-----
Fish Guru
Kudos: 833
male usa
Lilaeopsis species grows really well in sand IME. It is a grass-like foreground plant that works well in sandy substrate due to it's small root structure. It only requires some decent lighting.

Vallisneria is on the fence for sandy substrates. I've had some poor luck when it was in dim lighting, but in medium/bright light it thrived pretty well.
Post InfoPosted 05-Jun-2007 03:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
lysaer
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 57
male usa
I have what a lot of people refer to as a sand substrate, but it's actually a crushed gravel that's inasmuch LIKE to sand, but not really.

In my tank I have swords, crystal vals, giant hygro, red ludwigia, red foxtail, dwarf hairgrass, marsilea minuta (the aquatic clover), babytears, lilaeopsis(sp), parvulus, apongeton, a tiger lotus, java moss, and I'm sure I'm forgetting something. There's one plant that I have no idea what the name of it is, but it's pretty and it grows fast.

As far as the hygro, ludwigia, and vals go, they are growing IMPRESSIVELY well in this substrate. I mean, amazingly well. The tiger lotus as well. I see a new leaf sprout and grow every few days...and I can measure the growth in -inches- daily. And after maintenance yesterday, I think the lotus is growing a pup plant or two as well. Anyway. You can see my log over here to get a picture of everything.

Listen! Do you smell that?
Post InfoPosted 05-Jun-2007 06:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Reegs
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 49
female australia
Thanks for the ideas.

Much appreciated
Post InfoPosted 05-Jun-2007 16:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies