SubscribeTank Log - Plankton's 80G Tall
plankton
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 22
Votes: 7
male canada
EditedEdited by plankton
I thought some of you might like seeing what you have helped me to set up. Tank is tall 80G and the plants need to grow in, so it looks a bit thin. Feel free to comment in whatever manner you choose, but be nice , this is only my 2nd planted tank.

Most of it has been planted for about 3 months now and has a light stocking of wild green tetras, glowlights, sae, oto's and amano's. I just got my pressurized co2 last week and the plants are going nuts, so it's going to be filling in pretty quickly.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t178/plankton9/jaystank.jpg

Jay
Post InfoPosted 23-Aug-2007 07:49Profile PM Edit Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
Kudos: 138
Votes: 13
female usa us-massachusetts
Very nice and I like it! What fish do you have in there aside from the cardinal tetra? Any technical specifics you can provide without exhauston of your energy resources?
Post InfoPosted 23-Aug-2007 07:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi Jay,
You should be proud of how that tank looks.
You've done a wonderful job.

I too like it!

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 23-Aug-2007 08:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
plankton
-----
Hobbyist
male canada
thanks for the interest Catdancer! hehe...i guess i should have said that i didn't have the stick-to-it-ness to upkeep a log

fish are mostly tetras (wild green, black, glowlight and neon), some zebra dannios, a few ottos, and a couple of sae's. also living in the tank are a nice crew of amano shrimp and lots of malasian trumpet snails.

plants are pretty much whatever I could get my hands on. i know that it's a pretty chaotic mix of flora, but i'll take what i can get . there is hygrophilia difformis, water sprite, swords, tennelus, water hedge, red temple, anubias, nana and nana petite, java fern, rotala, l. repens and a bunch of lovely foreground plants I don't know the names of plus a few others.

the tank is a seastar 80g around 4' long * 2' tall * 18" deep. filtering is through a fluval 405, lighting is a coralife 260W 6700K fixture, florabase substrate, pressurized CO2 on controller and a turbotwist uv sterilizer that I have to figure out how to get integrated into the system.

no ferting yet as the substrate is enriched and will take care of this for me for at least 3 more months.

there is probably some stuff i've missed. it's almost midnight here and i'm fading fast

jay.
Post InfoPosted 23-Aug-2007 08:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
desiredusername
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 99
Votes: 36
male australia
That looks awesome!
Are you gonna add other fish????
Discus?, angels?, rams?
How much light have you got on that tank?
Post InfoPosted 23-Aug-2007 12:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
Kudos: 83
Votes: 242
male australia
plankton, I'm in awe . Wow what a fantastic looking tank . Well done
You don't have to do a log ( but it would be great if you did ) but how
about some insight into how it got to where you are now .
Lots of us out here are always eager to learn

Love to see more detail shots

Garry
Post InfoPosted 23-Aug-2007 12:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fishmonster
----------
Big Fish
Oh My Heck!
Kudos: 88
Votes: 73
male usa
Plankton

Please Tell us, I am a sponge. All the help would be great. Your tank is killer.

Thanks for your input as always, Shane
http://thetanklog.blogspot.com/ - [ Thanks to ScottF ]
http://www.natureaquariumclubofutah.com/main.html
Post InfoPosted 24-Aug-2007 03:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
plankton
-----
Hobbyist
male canada
Wow. Those are some totally unexpected responses. I had imagined it to go more like...

"nice enough tank there bub, but you sure do got a lot to learn!"

I really don't know what to say. I got most of my information from reading all of your tank logs. In many ways, each of you has contributed a lot to how it has turned out. As Frank pointed out in one of my other posts, each question I ask begets more questions which you have all helped me answer. I read my little aquatic plant encyclopedia by Peter Hiscock front to back about 5 or 6 times and just started to play. I'm just kind of fumbling around wishing that I had more of a plan in mind like many of you do.

As far as other fish go, I'm mostly in the Ingo camp. I love little fish. That being said, I would also love to have a feature fish and am open to suggestions on some compatible friends. I believe discus like it fairly dark, so my intense wattage blasting on them would not be very nice, even with floating plants at the top. I do really love how they look though. Feel free to offer up your favourites!

I'll post some more detail shots as soon as I have a bit more time on my hands. Again, comments and especially critiques would be appreciated. Also, any of you that may have questions, fire away and I'll gladly try to give you an answer.

Thanks guys for your kind words.

:jay
Post InfoPosted 24-Aug-2007 06:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
I believe discus like it fairly dark, so my intense wattage blasting on them

Not true, they come from a habitat that is either bathed in light or shadowy dependent on the time of day as well as other parameters, they will do quite well under your conditions. BTW, I have lots of light as well. It is actually the cardinal tetra who is sensitive to light and has a light phobia (never mind that the needs of this fish are constantly ignored in 'iwagumi' set ups with HC and blasting light intensity ). I guess the well being of the plants is more important to people who like these set ups than that of fish. (sorry for the little rant)
So if you like discus, they will be fine in a planted tank with excellent water conditions that i ma sure you have judged by the condition of your plants!
Post InfoPosted 25-Aug-2007 00:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
plankton
-----
Hobbyist
male canada
thats interesting catdancer. in pretty much every shop here, the discus are kept in extremly subdued lighting. i always thought it was because they were so photosensitive. see, you learn something new every day!

do you have a suggestion for a discus variety that i should have a look at? one thing about having a bigger fish is that it makes the tank appear smaller. i guess it's all perspective...

cheers!

jay.
Post InfoPosted 25-Aug-2007 01:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
EditedEdited by catdancer
Plankton Jay!

I just did my weekly water change to discover that my discus have spawned!! 'Blasting' light and lots of plants.

Discus are more sensitive than many other fish but that is with respect to water parameters (REGULAR water changes, pH slightly acidic and water the softer the better; just like the cardinal tetra in this respect). Higher temperatures than usual are a must (at least 84 F) and top nutrition. Depending on how the fish were raised they might be slow adapting to a different diet (however, they seem to be born with a tremendous fondness for red bloodworms).

Variety of discus: whatever suits yout taste, there is no difference between the different color strains. Just pay attention that the eyes don't look too big with respect to the body, the back should be high and the overall shape round. Poor quality specimen do not have a completely round shape. You might want to take a look at web sites run by different discus hatcheries to get a good idea about colors available, there are so many to choose from! Mine are two color voratieies 'Mom is a red pigeonblood' and dad is a 'cobalt blue' Stendker discus (or maybe dad is the pigeon, also possible).

one thing about having a bigger fish is that it makes the tank appear smaller

That is true, fully grown discus are bigger fish and they dwarf their tanks, but as you said, it is all perspective. IMHO discus are worth it and they are fantastic fish for planted tanks!

Claudia

P.S. Have look at tankwatcher's log - another discus addict and fan of planted aquaria
Post InfoPosted 25-Aug-2007 05:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fandan
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 43
male australia
looks awesome mate!
Post InfoPosted 30-Aug-2007 08:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
plankton
-----
Hobbyist
male canada
EditedEdited by plankton
Uh oh! I think I feel a tank log comming on!

Here are the detail shots I promised as well as a new photo of the tank as of today.

Full Tank
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t178/plankton9/80%20Gallon/80G_Full_911.jpg

Left Side
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t178/plankton9/80%20Gallon/80G_Left_911.jpg

Middle
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t178/plankton9/80%20Gallon/80G_Mid_911.jpg

Right Side
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t178/plankton9/80%20Gallon/80G_Right_911.jpg

New fish have been added - conga tetra's and a few more glowlights. Plants have been massivly trimmed since the last post - twice! They are going ballistic with the addition of the pressurized CO2. I have also some more java fern (from my other tank) - on the piece of DW in the center, planted tons of cuttings and hacked down a huge amount of the difformis. The algae is being kept at acceptable level - gotta have some chow for the clean up crew

I'm trying to think of something that I can replace the difformis with - it's just way too out of control. Any suggestions?

Again, any questions or comments would be appreciated. I really want to learn to be a better aquascaper - is that the right terminology? So any criticism's or suggestions you may have would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys, and I hope you enjoy these photos.

Jay
Post InfoPosted 11-Sep-2007 21:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 223
Votes: 255
female usa

Well, I missed this one! There is something about that tank that I absolutely love.......in the very first shot before it is grown in! In fact I saved the pic, so that I could look at it when ever I want! What else can I say?
Post InfoPosted 12-Sep-2007 04:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
plankton
-----
Hobbyist
male canada
If you don't mind my asking FP, what do you find more appealing about the first photo as opposed to the one from today?

Just curious

Jay
Post InfoPosted 12-Sep-2007 06:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
EditedEdited by catdancer
Absolutely gorgeous! I love the way the plants are grown in - before it looked still a bit arteficially arranged (especially the stem plants in the back). Maybe a bit more 'hardware' like the driftwood would enhance the overall impression and/or some plants that are pinkish/ reddish. you already have some but IMHO could do with some more.

And some bigger fish (but that comes from someone who is not into small and shoaling as focus when it comes to fish)
Post InfoPosted 12-Sep-2007 06:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
Kudos: 83
Votes: 242
male australia
Jay , looks sensational , very Dutch Style . Which is good BTW. I would
agree with Claudia though a bit of more prominent hardscape for some focus .
You could also leave a gap off to one side of centre as well . I think you've got a
good mixture of leaf types and colour , a bit more red might be alright but not too
much .

I've lightned up your photo and highlighted where a bit more rock or a gap might
look good IMO. Just a suggestion , up to you!

Other than that if you like the style you've planted I would not change much .
I particulary like the foreground .

I wouldn't replace the diformis if I were you ,its good to have a few very
fast growers in the first 6 months of a tank . They soak up nutrients etc .
Anyway hope that helps , I'm only learning myself . There are a few sites I've
used to give me inspiration ( not that its helped much yet ) if your
interested let me know and I'll post the links for you .

Garry

Attached Image:
Post InfoPosted 12-Sep-2007 15:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
female usa
EditedEdited by fish patty
If you don't mind my asking FP, what do you find more appealing about the first photo as opposed to the one from today?

I find the second photo too full. All the plants blend in together leaving no focal point & covering your rocks & driftwood too much.

In the first photo, the individual plants stand out better & I notice the driftwood & rocks more. Also, to me there is depth to the tank in the middle where that empty space leads to the back of the tank where the tall plants are. The tank looks full, but not too full, leaving plenty of swimming space for the fish. I suppose this is one of those cases where beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I would love to have that tank in the first picture. I love those tall feathery plants in the back, as well as your other plant choices.I was contemplating the hardware, & if I did anything different at all to that tank, I might add a large rock or piece of driftwood to the far left, breaking up those two plants that look similar, the tall & short one.

But all of this is coming from someone who doesn't have a planted tank (as of yet). I just like to look at other peoples tanks & imagine what I would do with it, if it was mine. Though I really like all the tanks on this site, it is very rare that I would immediately want to adopt or copy a tank. Yours just hit that special spot with me I guess.
-------------

Could someone please tell me how to quote text properly? Apparently I'm doing something wrong.

Post InfoPosted 12-Sep-2007 21:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
plankton
-----
Hobbyist
male canada
Now thats what I'm talkin about!

Most definatly bigger DW. I have two medium sized pieces but both are mostly blocked by taller plants. I did have second thoughts about putting the java fern on the central DW but went ahead with it as it made the tank look so much more lush. DW is really quite cosltly here. A larger piece would run me about 100$ which aint chump change. As for rocks, again, there is an 5 inch high "feature" rock wall that which separates the left front and rear of the tank. The back left is actually slopes from almost 6 inches higher than the front but you can't even see that because the plants have gotten, and continue to get much larger. Because of the ridiculous growth, all my rocks and driftwood have almost disappeared. Keep in mind this is a two foot tall tank, so even big features seem much smaller than if I was planting a breeder or standard tank. I agree totally that the most of the focal points have become much more integrated and homogenous.

I tried using driftwood that I found - I even boiled it for a few hours, but on putting it in the tank, it quickly became surrounded by a white mucus like substance which I believe was a bacterial outgrowth - so out it came. Also, anything small enough to boil on my stove is going to appear tiny in that tank.

I really appreciate the input and am going to think hard about what both of you have mentioned.

Thanks!

Post InfoPosted 12-Sep-2007 22:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
female usa

$100 for driftwood?! Man! I outta get back down to my lake & start collecting & selling that stuff!

My tank is 21" high & I found a nice piece of driftwood for it at the lake. It's in the photo booth, under my 3 tanks, before pics. I needed to get rid of algae, so I soaked my wood in a bucket of bleach water, 1 part bleach to 19 parts water for 2 minutes. It seemed to do the trick. The wood was too big to submerge, so I soaked 1/2 at a time, splashing water onto a part that never did fit in. I rinsed really well & then let it soak in some water with water conditioner in it. So, you might give that method a try.

Post InfoPosted 17-Sep-2007 17:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2, 3
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies