L# water changes
 Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribewater changes
ragu_ed
Small Fry
Kudos: 6
Votes: 0
male india
What should be my water changes in my WELL PLANTED FILTERLESS 3.5 GAL TANK WITH A BETTA AND A M.SNAIL?
Post InfoPosted 29-Oct-2009 07:58Profile PM Edit Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
I'd do a small bit every few days. You still want to make sure fresh water is getting into the tank and any extra nutrients are getting out so they don't build up and cause an algae issue.

Half a gallon every 3-4 days should keep your tank in order.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 29-Oct-2009 13:10Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
I'd say about a gallon once per week.

><>
Post InfoPosted 29-Oct-2009 15:39Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Veteric
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 549
Votes: 7
male canada
If anything actually you'd want to fertilize that tank and encourage non-limiting nutrients. As leibigs law states, the most limiting nutrient will limit overall plant growth. On the other hand, macrophytes has a relative inflexibility compared to algae when it comes to nutrient demands; there is an alage meant for every nutrient deficiency possible many, many times over.

The best hope you can give your plants is non-limiting CO2 for your light levels (low light if you aren't doing compressed CO2) and nonlimiting nutrients.

In very low light tanks this can be achieved with feeding and perhaps a touch of trace depending on the water. In high light this means full NPK dosing and definitely trace/micro with the possibility of needing extra magnesium and calcium for some kinds of soft tap water.

If nutrient excesses cause algae, everyone with a stable EI dosed tank, or anything using updated conlin-sears type dosing has algae that doesn't listen very well.

On a little tank like that, I'd change the water very often because it's easy. Clean water means healthy fish. Start with 50% a week and you'll notice a difference if you haven't been doing it yet.

-Veteric
Post InfoPosted 29-Oct-2009 21:31Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
EditedEdited 31-Oct-2009 13:29
With the substrate etc that would be around a 3gal tank
If you were to do it weekly that would be about 1gal

Personally to keep every thing clean and fresh I would try 1lt per day.

On one of my long fishing trips I prepared plenty of water and all the wife had to do was take out 1lt every day and replace it with 1lt.
When I came back other than a bit of evaporation the tank looked fantastic the plants and fish loved the little bit of fresh water each day.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 30-Oct-2009 02:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies