TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Kudos: 278
Votes: 338
female australia au-newsouthwales
EditedEdited by TankWatcher
I have noticed that one of our clowns has increasing smudgy black marks on his upper body, that were not there to start with. I don't think they are injuries and have no idea what they could be. I spoke with LFS today, who also didn't know, but suggested tripple sulfar. Is that reef safe?

In any case, I thought maybe something more gentle to start with. What about melafix & pimafix - are they reef safe? I can see they are saltwater safe, just not sure about for the corals?

Thanks for any replies.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 19-Sep-2006 09:41Profile PM Edit Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
IMO there are no meds safe for a reef. Some might say they are, but if you are attached to your inverts(inc. corals), you shouldn't risk it. I saw a study that used self proclaimed(by the product) reef safe meds on tanks with similar setups and had a bit of xenia in each. Almost all meds had visible negative affects on the coral, and I think half killed the xenia straight out. If you want to dose something put the fish into a QT tank. However, I'm inclined to think that it's just a coloration thing anyways. I've seen lot's of clowns that get dark markings over time. Unless it's noticeably sticking out from the body of the fish, I'd just keep an eye on it.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 19-Sep-2006 18:40Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Thanks Matty. We will just watch him for a bit longer then.

In your opinion, what about things like Seachem Stressguard? Is that reef safe, or not even that?

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 21-Sep-2006 00:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
What's that? Like a dechlor or something?

Honestly, I wouldn't put something in the water that isn't specifically made for a reef tank(even some things made for reef tanks are a little suspect as stated above). Nobody knows how coral is going to react to something that isn't normally in NSW - natural salt water. I use RO/DI and salt mix. Any additives are things corals use...calcium, carbonates, mg, and sr(or is it st? strontium in any case, but that's just tiny amounts as I don't test for it). IMO fish don't need stress stuffs, they just need clean water. Goes for FW too. Just my opinion here, but if the water is less crappy, the fish are more happy.

But if you've been dosing it and haven't noticed any negative affects, then you know better than me.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 21-Sep-2006 02:24Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
sirbooks

---------------
---------------
----------
Sociopath
Kudos: 5164
Votes: 932
male usa us-virginia
Stressguard is Seachem's version of Stress Coat- it's supposed to just replenish the slime coat on fish. I don't *think* it's bad for reefs since Stress Coat is okay, but it shouldn't be necessary. I, like Matty, feel that the clowns are probably just changing their normal coloration. As long as they are eating and acting okay, I wouldn't be too worried.

And when he gets to Heaven, to Saint Peter he will tell: "One more Marine reporting, Sir! I've served my time in Hell."
Post InfoPosted 21-Sep-2006 03:51Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Thanks matty & sirbooks

The stressguard (slime coat) was more related to our yellow tang. When we got that fish, LFS said that as tang's are susceptible to getting sick (marine white spot) & that when we add the tang to the tank, we should add stressguard as a safety measure. We did so & haven't noticed any ill effect - but just wondered if anyone else out there in the marine world has found that it is harmful to reefs.

For the time being, we aren't medicating the clown, as he is eating & acting normal. We are watching him carefully for behavioural changes.

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 21-Sep-2006 05:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies