L# Technical Tinkering
  L# 100 Gallon Filter
 Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribe100 Gallon Filter
gotpaper1981
Small Fry
Kudos: 2
Votes: 0
So I found a 100 gal tank for $200 on craigslist that I'm thinking of buying. The guy emailed me and told me what it comes with. Tank, stand, filter, pump, and lights. It looks to be a great deal. My problem is it's setup for saltwater and I'm wanting to do a freshwater community. Can a filter for a saltwater tank be used for freshwater? He's not sure what kind of filter it is. Says he got it from a friend and has it in storage. I know I will have to test for leaks and such. If the filter can be used for what I'm wanting, it will still save me a bundle. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Post InfoPosted 23-Jul-2009 22:39Profile PM Edit Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
If it's a protein skimmer, it won't be usable for freshwater. It's also possible that it's a smaller filter than you'd be wanting for freshwater. Otherwise that could be useful to you.

><>
Post InfoPosted 24-Jul-2009 00:12Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Indeed, if it's not a protein skimmer you're good to go. SW tanks can have sumps/wet-dry filters, which will work just fine for a FW tank. If it actually comes with power filters or a canister they should work just fine.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 27-Jul-2009 21:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Yep, what shini said

Our largest tank is plumbed and would work as a SW tank (if we resealed the sump ) It's been freshwater and is actually just running a canister since our main living room tank sprung a leak (hence my comment in your other thread about checking for leaks!).

With larger tanks, sometimes multiple filtration is used...so if what the tank comes with is a little under par you can just top off the filtration using a smaller canister, or a HOB and some powerheads. Remember that filtration will be dependent on what you're actually stocking. Some fish need more powerful water movement and filtration than others. Some tanks need very little as plant life manages to handle a lot of it.

(And yes, we do need to get the sealant out )

^_^

Post InfoPosted 27-Jul-2009 23:52Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies