mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
Well it's getting to be that time with temps getting consistently above 80* here. I was looking to do some cheap computer fans on my frag system for a bit more evaporation and to cool the T5s I have running over the tanks.

I have found these fans, but I'm not sure of the power supply I need for them (one power supply for four or six would be great). Any help with that would be much appreciated!

Fan Size: 120 x 120 x 25mm
Connection: 3pin, 4pin
Max. Air Flow: 21.71CFM
Noise: 20dB (A)
Bering Type: Hydraulic Bearing
Net Weight: 60g
Rate Voltage: 10.8-13.2VDC
Starting Voltage: 7VDC
Power Input: 1.92W
Fan Speed: 1800+/-10

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 29-Apr-2009 16:39Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
EditedEdited by mattyboombatty
Maybe see if I'm right here....I don't remember much of this stuff from school, but would it be a 12v 1amp dc converter thingamajob for 6 fans?

Post InfoPosted 29-Apr-2009 16:47Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Sin in Style
----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1119
Votes: 165
male usa
how much are those fans? they are pretty loud for very little CFM they offer. might i suggest scanning New Egg for 120mm on the cheap side with better CFM to noise level. also might save you some money by spending more on high cfm fans and using less fans. can also adjust speed/noise with a volt controller but might be over thinking it lol.
Post InfoPosted 30-Apr-2009 02:38Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Sin in Style
----------
Mega Fish
male usa
by the way stay away from the coolermaster 4 pack. the specs say 44cfm but they are prolly closer to under 20 honestly. I suppose if you stuck 4 on one end and 4 on the other it would move plenty of air but thats allot of fans on a hood lol.

i would look for 2 fans that are like 40-60cfm under 30dba. stick one on each end with 1 blowing in and one blowing out should be plenty. another way you might do it is put both fans next to each other on the back blowing out. then have 2 cutout on the side to allow air in . might leave you with hot spots in the front center though not sure.

anyway lots of options to suit your needs. 20cfm is VERY little air movement though so i would deffinetly look higher keeping it under 30dba. if you put the fans in the back you might be able to get away with under 40dba but thats deffinetly starting to get loud.
Post InfoPosted 30-Apr-2009 03:03Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Price is more of an issue than noise, this is just my frag rack that is in my garage. There's three tanks and a sump (that's why there's a need for so many fans). I just want to get it through the summer without cooking my corals. These were less than $5 shipped each so I'm not about to complain .

Post InfoPosted 30-Apr-2009 14:56Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Sin in Style
----------
Mega Fish
male usa
ya but 20cfm isnt moving much at all and more then likely wont do what you want it to do. i used 80cfm on my computer and used 2 to blow in and 2 to blow out. with that in mind though it also dropped my cpu temps down by 10º to 12º and only cost me $40 for 8 fans.

Now i know your saying "this isnt a computer" and i know but its still the same job with the same solution requiring the same results which is why i mentioned it.

If you have already ordered them i suppose not much you can do other then install and try them see if they suffice. If you dont get the desired results i would deffinetly point my finger at the CFM rating.
Post InfoPosted 30-Apr-2009 19:03Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Yeah, I did order them, I'll let you know how they perform. I'll also be running a dehumidifier in conjunction so that will naturally help.

If you dont get the desired results i would deffinetly point my finger at the CFM rating.

and you get to say "I told you so!"

Post InfoPosted 01-May-2009 15:57Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Ira
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 181
Votes: 1
male newzealand
EditedEdited by Ira
If tidyness isn't particularly important I wouldn't use PC fans. You can get a cheap deskfan for like cheap that will flow far more air and produce less noise. Just with a quick googling I've found 3-4 fans that are in the $20 range and claim to flow up near 200 cfm. And you don't need to sort out a 12v power supply.

PC fans basically suck for bang for the buck.
Post InfoPosted 12-May-2009 09:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Sin in Style
----------
Mega Fish
male usa
kinda tough to strap a house fan on a canopy. Im picturing one of those rotating fans strapped to the side with duct tape. lol
Post InfoPosted 12-May-2009 15:06Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies