Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeNew Co2 Bell design.
cynical
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 36
Votes: 0
male australia
So this design works on the basis that Co2 is heavier then air.(which i believe to be correct) if i'm wrong then someone please tell me and i'll forget the whole thing.

anywayz.

plan is, make a standard looking co2 bell out of the top half a small plastic bottle but then attach some tube or airline to the cap like you would in DIY yeast brew. but then attach either an airstone or a limewood diffuser to the top of that.

I'm assuming that the the bell will fill with co2 until there is enough pressure for some bubbles to come out the top/airstone. and because co2 is heavier then air, it should be sitting at the buttom of the bell, and only the seperated air will exit the airstone? rather then the old style bell where co2 just flooded out the bell and was wasted once it was full.

for those w/o any imagination i did a little diagram
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c178/tsepmet/DIYBell.jpg

so, please let me know what you all think, this is my first attempt at anything like this and feedback is appreciated even in the form of 'No your wrong! very wrong!'

Cheers
Cynical
Post InfoPosted 09-Feb-2006 04:06Profile PM Edit Report 
Dolfan
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 14
Post InfoPosted 09-Feb-2006 07:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
cynical
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 36
male australia
I've considered heaps of things, but i'm looking at extreme budget, those items are quite expensive and choice is very limited here is aus, cheapest store bought reactor or diffuser i have seen here is over $30, but half a coke bottle 5cm of airline and a limewood/airstone whats that gonna cost me? $5? and i get to drink the coke!

Cynical
Post InfoPosted 09-Feb-2006 07:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 922
Votes: 69
male usa
I don't quite know what you're tying to make here, but as long as there is sufficient pressure coming from the DIY bottle you can just connect the CO2 tubing to a limewood diffuser, a glass diffuser or an airstone and lay it on the substrate. Tiny bubbles is what you want. By the time they get to the surface the C will have dissolved in to the water. If you're concerned about this you can place the airstone/ diffuser on the substrate right under the filter outflow so that the bubbles get knocked back down into the water. Works like a charm

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 09-Feb-2006 17:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies