Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeZip Ties
sodaaddict84
----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 108
Votes: 52
male usa
ok i set up my 29gal. i have two airstones in the front corners but in the back where the airhoses met i used a zip tie to hold them together but i was wondering if the tiny metal peice in side would cuase any problems. i didnt notice the metal until it was all set up

*click *flash *click "whered he go???"
Post InfoPosted 10-Nov-2006 08:22Profile PM Edit Report 
jmara
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 431
Votes: 145
male usa
I didn't realize that zip-ties had metal in them. I would definitely remove the zip-ties and replace them with ones that are 100% plastic! I wouldn't take the chance with my little fish

-Josh
Post InfoPosted 10-Nov-2006 16:10Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Corydoran
----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 370
Votes: 1217
male usa
Not all metals are harmful to fishes in water (hence some metallic thermometers), but with cheap zip ties, it's a huge risk.

There are other things you can use like rubber bands and this plastic thing which has a name escaping me at this moment.
Post InfoPosted 10-Nov-2006 18:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sodaaddict84
----------
Enthusiast
male usa
at first i thought they were all plastic but i noticed this little tiny piece of metal (the part that makes the zip noise) it been in there for about a month now no problems but im gonna change it before there is any

Post InfoPosted 10-Nov-2006 20:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
Are you sure about that? I have used probably thousands of zip ties to build small animal cages and none of them have metal in them. I've also cut just as many apart to rebuild or relocate large cages. I've got a container of 300 sitting here right now. They are 100% plastic.
Post InfoPosted 11-Nov-2006 07:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sodaaddict84
----------
Enthusiast
male usa
ya i know there is allot of 100% plastic ones, but i think i just grabbed 2 wrong ones... they are idustrial grade i think that might be why i got them from a roommate who is a contracter so may he has a need for stronger one with metal

Post InfoPosted 11-Nov-2006 08:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies