L# Grrr... neons...
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeGrrr... neons...
Krunchy
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 23
male usa
so I just bought like 15 Neons and really expected to lose 1-2... only 1 so far but I notice another with unusual swelling around mid abdomen... the fish also appeared to have added natural boyancy... he was swimming in a downward manner to compensate for this... i can only guess but could it be a problem with his swim bladder? is this fatal or will he just naturally get over it?
Post InfoPosted 18-Sep-2007 00:46Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Personally I would contact your LFS where you bought them and talk to them about what is happening it could be a bad batch and this could/will cause problems with the whole tank. Please dont wast any time doing this.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 18-Sep-2007 03:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
EditedEdited by longhairedgit
Neons are matyrs to aeromonas group infections, the result of which is rotten guts and hydrogen sulphide expansion of the stomach. It often ruins their bouyancy by inflating them to the point the swim bladder is no longer providing counterbalance. Swim bladders are mounted centrally in tetras, and even a radically inflated one can only expand so far,in fact they usually burst before they could inflate the look of the fish, and a gut swelling is a different thing. Fish generally dont visibly expand with swim bladder failure, so the odds on cause is the byproduct gas of bacterial respiration in the gut.

Nasty, send them back with a loud complaint, and watch the other fish for symptoms. Chuck some melafix in the water, it might help lower transmission rates.This is one of those times when quarantine would have been appropriate, and it might still not be too late to segregate them.
Post InfoPosted 18-Sep-2007 05:01Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies